Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Hatchery/Breeder do you order from?

+3
rosewood
Schipperkesue
Sweetened
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What Hatchery/Breeder do you order from? Empty What Hatchery/Breeder do you order from? Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:50 pm

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Due to recent events, I've been able to sit down and focus out on our breeding plans when it comes to the chicken variety. I have determined my project breeds, general keepers and layers, and will have to seek out hatchery stock (probably).

What hatcheries or breeders do you order from and what breeds? How did you find the quality, health, shipping costs, duty (is that even applicable?) and so on?

Thanks!

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.com/

Bergs ? near by and they seem to have good quality stock , he ( Kevin )is slowly bringing in some rarer birds after the scare a few years back ( not with his stock ) . They have quite a few dealers located across Manitoba and into Saskatchewan ..............depends on what you want I guess ??  

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

It all depends what breed(s) you are looking for. Some hatcheries have better quality than others. Some breeds are best bought from breeders, they are more common and better quality. If you told us the breeds you were looking for there are probably people on here who have them or know where the best place is to get them.

So, to sum up, it is all breed dependant.

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thanks Prairie Dog, I was thinking about Bergs for their Berg Red.

Good point, Sue. I guess I was trying to keep it on the down low LOL. I'm looking for:

Meat:
Cornish Cross
Dark Cornish (Healthy meat birds, not looking for show quality)

Egg Colours:
Blue, white and black Ameraucanas
Black, Blue, White, Blue-Copper and/or Black Copper Maran
ISA Brown (Or equivalent, I know ISA is a copy-written term)

Projects:
White and Partridge Chantecler

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Berg's have a rustic broiler that I would try if I lived in their delivery area. I was disappointed with Mc Murray's Dark Cornish as they are no meatier than the Wyandottes that we have raised for 10 years. I've always considered Isa browns as great commercial layers that run out of steam after 18 months. I'd rather have Chanteclers or other heritage chickens as my layers.

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We've chosen to Do ISA's as our primary layers for the sheer volume they produce in their first year. I have a buyer for a significant number of eggs and I loved my 3 ISA girls when I had them. At at least 3 years old they were still giving me 5 eggs a week. We'll cycle them out and cross breed them with the Chantecler as our continuous laying hens. My reasons for the Chantecler's are completely different from my reasoning for the ISA's. My Chanties will keep the eggs flowing through winter, but I want them for breeding purposes as well.

Thanks for the advice on McMurray's dark cornish, that's the kind of info I'm after concerning them for sure. I have one dark cornish girl who survived by hiding under the barn, and she is as mean as a snake. I like her though, heavy as all can be for her size.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

S.O.P. Cornish are very meaty but slow growing and it is hard to find good ones. I have the whites. Cornish meat crosses can be bought at any hatchery and are mostly the same. I would go to a breeder for Ameraucanas if you want real ones. From what I have heard many from hatcheries are crosses and do not lay a true blue egg. Dan Smith may be a good place to start. Triple J also has them. Same for the Marans. I believe Dan has them as well. Mine are from Triple J but I think she is out of them.

Those closer to you will be able to give good advice as well.

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

My obsession errr, passion for chooks began many moons ago with EEs from Bergs. Very Happy They were nice, healthy multi-coloured birds, and great layers of large green/blue eggs. I adored them, and would probably still have some from my original flock if foxy loxy hadn't happened by one afternoon Sad ....My brother had their Barred Rocks for a time and really liked them too.

As for Ameraucanas, there are quite a few breeders across Canada, many of them on here or ACE. So finding good stock shouldn't be too hard. I'm just getting started with breeding mine, but can definitely help you out come spring, IF you don't mind the wild card element. cyclops  lol I plan to do small pair matings with my best birds and see what kind of offspring they can produce.

eta: the Whitmore strain of BBS Ams is super nice. Can't really go wrong there. Smile

Last edited by Flicker Chick on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:S.O.P. Cornish are very meaty but slow growing and it is hard to find good ones.  I have the whites.  Cornish meat crosses can be bought at any hatchery and are mostly the same.  I would go to a breeder for Ameraucanas if you want real ones.  From what I have heard many from hatcheries are crosses and do not lay a true blue egg.  Dan Smith may be a good place to start.  Triple J also has them.  Same for the Marans.  I believe Dan has them as well.  Mine are from Triple J but I think she is out of them.  

Those closer to you will be able to give good advice as well.
i have ameracaunas and wheaten marans ( they lay allot darker eggs than black coppers) i have 2 lines of ameracaunas one from show lines in BC and one whitmore farms

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Oh! I remember your site -- until things went sideways with a friend being in on the order, I was going to order from you this spring but had to cancel.

I specifically need those colours for the Marans, but those whatons are pretty!

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

We've ordered from Bergs for three years now. The Cornish crosses were pretty standard, had one go lame (I think it actually got trampled) but no other problems. The past two years my mom has ordered the Bergs Grazers, I like them better then the Cornish for meat birds, never had any health issues, and they finish out about the same quality.
I got my Wyandottes from Bergs (three years ago mind you) and they were nowhere near SOP. Not that I show birds or anything, but they could definitely use improvement (which I'm working on). However, if your just starting with a breed, sometimes its easier to take a hit on quality then pay the $45 out of pocket for a single, top of the line rooster. Good luck with your search!

saskfarmgirl

saskfarmgirl
New Here

We started with ISA's from Anstey Hatchery in Saskatoon. We ordered through Peavey Mart thinking it would be cheaper on shipping. We ended up paying the same price as to have them delivered to the local post office. The chicks all arrived in excellent condition. Very friendly birds. The only problem we have had with them is they have a tendency to go broody and then not remain on the eggs. So we learned the hard way if this starts happening to take the eggs away and collect many times a day. They are great layers we get 23 large eggs a day out of 25 hens. We feed them back the misfits once a week in winter to keep up their protein. All we do is hard boil the eggs and then put them through the food processor shell and all.Our customers have had nothing but great things to say.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum