Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Speak to me of Brinsea Mini's

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Speak to me of Brinsea Mini's Empty Speak to me of Brinsea Mini's Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:34 am

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I was reading a post started by Farmer Bob and I decided to do an Ebay search foe Brinsea's and I stumbled upon the Brinsea Mini. This looks like a great little bator for my purposes as I would really only hatch out a few chicks at a time for 4H and what not. What are your thoughts and feeling towards this particular machine that might sway me towards starting a savings pile for a birthday present bator for me?

2Speak to me of Brinsea Mini's Empty Re: Speak to me of Brinsea Mini's Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:42 am

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

LOVED MINE!! it was awesome. I actually ended up selling mine to the private kindergarten for their yearly hatching fun. they work amazing, great hatches.

only downsides.

the well in the middle for humidity. if you get a dumb chick hatching they will stuff their heads in it and cant come back up. I solve this by either covering it with some cheesecloth or using pieces of sponge that I toss away afterwards.

and the hatching. once the egg turner is out, I personally think that the bottom is a little slippery (not sure if the new ones are the same, but the ones I bought four years ago were like this) so I solved this one --again, super easy!-- by just putting a few pieces of that rubber backed matting on the floor of the incubator (you know, the type for keeping your dishes from sliding around in cupboards and stuff like that?) this is just a personal feeling, that the floor is too slippery, not so much a fault of the incubator

huge plus for brinsea's. if that egg was good going in, you could almost guarantee it would hatch!! I always always have the best hatching rates with mine (I had two mini's and the huge cabinet)

in the mini, you can put seven normal eggs. six if they are a bit bigger. they will also hold four duck eggs depending on the size of the egg.

I seriously loved my brinsea. I am actually buying myself a replacement this week! (I had sold mine three years ago due to some health struggles)

3Speak to me of Brinsea Mini's Empty Re: Speak to me of Brinsea Mini's Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:52 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

The only complaint I have heard is once you start using it, it is too small! You will want to hatch more!

4Speak to me of Brinsea Mini's Empty Re: Speak to me of Brinsea Mini's Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:06 am

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Schipperkesue wrote:The only complaint I have heard is once you start using it, it is too small!  You will want to hatch more!

OOH!! that too!! in fact, I told myself-- "self. you are only going to order a mini. you dont need anything more. anything else hatched can do so under the damn broody hens."

and here I am looking at the 24 hatchers. because. well. because. I know that seven is never enough!!!! chances are by friday, I will just order the 20 series adv with the pump. its just so dummy proof when you get the whole works, makes for much more relaxed hatching for me (I just never had success with anything else!)

5Speak to me of Brinsea Mini's Empty Re: Speak to me of Brinsea Mini's Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:59 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

A couple Christmases ago my then 8yr old son got a mini advance as a gift.  Best gift ever! he still loves it and hatch rates are amazing in it.  Takes up no space, incredibly simple and easy to watch everything.  My son has done quite a few hatches in it from Cayuga and Buff ducks, large fowl and bantam chicks, and last year he did a dzn cortunix quail as his 1st 4-H animal project.  

As to the concerns that Lanaire brought up, she is right although we've never had any babies get their head in there it is slippery.  We put marbles in the water cup when we fill it for hatching.  We cut out a paper towel circle to place on the bottom about 2 days before chicks hatch and 3 days before ducklings hatch.  I bet the drawer stuff would work great I use it in other incubators but find the paper towel easier to clean up Smile  Oh and if doing ducklings I find we like to up the humidity by wetting the paper towel a bit

6Speak to me of Brinsea Mini's Empty Re: Speak to me of Brinsea Mini's Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:00 am

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

my sons KD classroom has one and we hatched duck eggs last year and it was great!  100% hatch the best one all year!

I would say any size brinsea you will be pleased with.

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum