Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ugly Sweater story

+7
Ruffledfeathers
bigrock
coopslave
Schipperkesue
uno
islandgal99
Farmer Bob
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Ugly Sweater story Empty Ugly Sweater story Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:42 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Ok...I just had to share this story... My wife went to the thrift store today, and happened to see a couple of sweaters that she liked, and thought she could wear to work. (She works at an internet company) She took them up to the front counter...where the cashier says " Man...more ugly sweaters, I've sold a few of these today...is there an ugly sweater party in town?"

Luckily it was an elderly woman at the counter, and my wife refrained from clocking her...and didn't clock me either when I laughed and laughed when she told me...I think she saw the humour in it by that time...

2Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:22 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  The real stories are always the funniest ones!!!

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

3Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:49 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Perfect! This is one to tell the Grandkids, the day Grandma bought ugly sweaters.

4Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:39 pm

This story could only be funnier if you could please take a picture of the ugly sweaters for us. What a great story!  cheers  Thanks (and thank your wife) for the laugh.

5Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:49 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I too would love to see someone modelling those sweaters.

6Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:47 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I LOVE ugly sweaters! Not tacky ones, but big, knarly, ugly ones. I usually only wear them at home, but I lovem'!

7Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:58 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

farmchiq wrote:This story could only be funnier if you could please take a picture of the ugly sweaters for us.  What a great story!  cheers  Thanks (and thank your wife) for the laugh.

yes please...yes please! i need to see them

8Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:14 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

bigrock wrote:
farmchiq wrote:This story could only be funnier if you could please take a picture of the ugly sweaters for us.  What a great story!  cheers  Thanks (and thank your wife) for the laugh.

yes please...yes please!  i need to see them

cheers  pictures please. Maybe its not that bad  Razz 

In agreement with coopslave about the old gnarly sweaters. I find that they are usually the most comfy ones.

9Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:02 pm

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Back in my professional, working days, I did a bit of travelling for work and before I had kids, I would often travel over a Saturday to save a bit of $$ on flights for the company. The company was great about it and I got spoiled a bit. One year I happened to be in our corporate office for their "holiday party". They asked if I would like to join them and I accepted. They said it was not formal, but the attire was something to the effect of "festive casual". I figured something kind of dressy with a bit of sparkle. When I get there everyone had an ugly Christmas sweater on....and I mean EVERYONE! Hard to talk seriously to someone wearing jingle bells!

10Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:27 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

ok...here are the sweaters!   Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

11Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:42 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

they're not ugly at all! in my opinion of course  Smile . it is great that we are all different, one person's chuck out is another person's treasure. thanks for the pic's.

12Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:01 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

LOL, I agree. I don't see anything wrong them...neither does my wife...so she was quite appalled by the cashier's reaction...not sure if she can bring herself to wear them to work now after that reaction though...  Shocked 

13Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:16 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

yup i agree with magdelan..not ugly....
hmmm makes me wonder what the other person mght have thought was a nice sweater....varsity type?

14Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:54 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't think they are ugly either and that is just on a hanger. I bet they look even better on your wife!!

15Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:14 pm

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

Definitely not ugly! What's up with the comments from the cashier? Gosh people can be strange sometimes.

16Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:41 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

THey have that nice neck detail...not just your plain, run of the mill sweater. Tell your wife to wear them, with pride, defy the ugly sayers of the world! Take that, you ugly sweater haters!

17Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:13 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

uno wrote:THey have that nice neck detail...not just your plain, run of the mill sweater. Tell your wife to wear them, with pride, defy the ugly sayers of the world! Take that, you ugly sweater haters!

yep. I agree. the necklines are really nice. I think they might have been hand knitted too. Is there a label in the back?

I think that woman who was working at the thrift shop must have been having a bad day and lost all enthusiasm for her job. I met the rare happy thrift shop counter woman the other day - we joked about the many uses for afghan crochet hooks - I wanted it to clear my vacuum cleaner tube (particular place it gets blocked on regular basis, bad design  Evil or Very Mad ) and she said they are good for clearing that hairy mess down the plug hole (another dry wretch image for me right there!). However, she was full of fun and life, had all her faculties and I couldn't see her making judgements about a person's purchase at all. She was a good 'un. And, there are so many uses for ugly sweaters - so they aren't ugly at all. I found a pattern on the net for making slippers out of felted old sweaters - by the time they are felted they fall in to the category of "ugly" I think. got to be all wool though.

18Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:15 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

They look hand knitted. The proof is in the pudding. How do they look on? If they look good and are comfy, they are beautiful.

19Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:35 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We actually do think they are hand knitted. There are no tags on either of them.

20Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:45 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

really hope she wears them :-). someone put quite some time and effort in to them and that makes all the difference - plus hand knitters often choose yarn that won't pill and last well. They were a nice find me thinks. Love it when I find a gem in the thrift shop. oh heck, Macklemore singing in my head again . . . I have the house to myself tonight, might have to crank up the stereo while I make Christmas gift labels!

21Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:52 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

She shouldn't feel bad. My teen daughter was invited to an "ugly sweater" party last night. After some searching, she found the perfect one in my closet! I used to wear it for skiing and loved it!  Very Happy 

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

22Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:08 am

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Ok, that made me burst out laughing, and I had to run over and tell my wife...indeed it made her feel better!  Razz 

23Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:41 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Okay I'm also in agreement with everyone here. Those are great sweaters and hand knitted *BONUS* If she is feeling flashy throw a lace detailed tank underneath or maybe an infinity scarf. Anything is possible.

When I heard ugly sweater my brain imagines those late 80's early 90's sweaters with the obscure geometric shapes that had no rhyme or reason  Shocked 

24Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:54 am

I had "ugly Christmas sweater" in my mind, because it's that time of year.  Your picture was positively a letdown! lol  I think they're pretty!  And yes, a cami or a scarf will take them to the next level.  Poop on the grumpy thrift store lady! haha

Here is what I had in mind.  I couldn't pick just one image to share here, so be warned.   Shocked affraid  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

25Ugly Sweater story Empty Re: Ugly Sweater story Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:38 pm

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

Oh my word farmchiq, there's some jaw droppers in that bunch LOL. Wowzers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum