Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Broody and the ugly hatchlings

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Broody and the ugly hatchlings Empty The Broody and the ugly hatchlings Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:57 am

I've been testing a broody for close to 2 weeks now. She's been going from nest to nest, adamantly returning after I throw her out, or wiggling endlessly if I set her in a nest of empty eggs. Well, I took away the golf balls last night and tucked eggs under her. Turkey and duck eggs, to be exact. What a confused look this pretty lady will have if she can settle in for the 28 day mark.

She was so angry with me when I removed the 4 golf balls and pecked the daylights out of my hand for the first 2 eggs before she realized what I was doing for her. After that it turned to "Hurry up and put that egg down!" If I tried to put them on a different side, she'd peck me as if to say "I'll do it myself!" So, what a strange hatch this will be. 8 Red bourbon turkey eggs from RBryne's lovely birds (who're re-feathering so well!) and 2 call duck eggs. We'll see how she does. Her big fluffy butt covers them all with ease, and I can always bring them inside after the hatch into the brooder if I need to (ie she can't care for them because they grow too quickly).

I absolutely love the sounds and look of a truly broody hen. I often think of Chicken Run and the personalities in those animated chickens. Absolutely love them, and I look forward to her success in 28 days.

2The Broody and the ugly hatchlings Empty Re: The Broody and the ugly hatchlings Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:06 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had a cochin hen hatch me out 2 Australian spotted ducklings last week, unfortunately she was fighting with another hen that wanted to brood the same nest and squished the remaining 4 ducklings in their eggs, I decided I would take these to the brooder so they wouldn't harm them as well.
I have a turkey on Australian spotted eggs, now that will be a shock to her when she hatches those out. HAHA

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3The Broody and the ugly hatchlings Empty Re: The Broody and the ugly hatchlings Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:11 am

LOL!!!

I think a turkey raising ducks would be incredibly cute. I picture this broody with turkeys as like... a cartoon mob family with goony sons protecting an old mother. bwahaha.

I just hope these duck eggs hatch. The female call duck we had was out of her pen yesterday and by the time I realized it, she was out the door and gone. He's been calling and calling for her and she hasn't returned, breaks my heart Sad

4The Broody and the ugly hatchlings Empty Re: The Broody and the ugly hatchlings Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:59 pm

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I LOVED Chicken Run! Took my daughter and her friends to the drive-in to see it when it came out.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum