Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

crooked tail

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1crooked tail Empty crooked tail Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:47 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have some young pullets and a couple have crooked tails...a neighbor of mine told me it could be a virus?
Any thoughts....

2crooked tail Empty Re: crooked tail Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:36 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

It could be wry tail.. a genetic fault.

3crooked tail Empty Re: crooked tail Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:43 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

This condition is probably wry tail, as Sue mentioned. I have made a post here that shows some of my original hatchery stock buff orpingtons that had this condition.  I did not keep any of those hens for the breeding, they have been gone about 2 years now.  Other uses for them, and they are still wonderful birds, just cause they don’t hold their tail straight, don’t think they are useless, they are still wonderful as the day is long in so many other ways.  It is a major default in the breed and one should not breed from those birds. Although I know you are not into breeding.  That does the hen no harm at all, but that bird should not be used to perpetuate something that is this wrong.  Take a look at this thread....I will link to it below.  Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

The post that I made regarding my hens shows a very good depiction of what wry tail looks like.  
Look at post #9 that I made with those pictures

https://wcps.canadian-forum.com/t3092-wry-tail-woes?highlight=wry+tail

4crooked tail Empty Re: crooked tail Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:40 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

ahh good nothing to worry about then...she is a beauty for sure and then there is this tail. This i have also just noticed over the past two weeks..23 weeks old now
thanks for the info...pics

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum