Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

boy is it dark here

+6
Schipperkesue
Cathyjk
poplar girl
HigginsRAT
CynthiaM
coopslave
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1boy is it dark here Empty boy is it dark here Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:09 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Maybe it is just me, but it seems very dark for a long time in the mornings here. Just having some light break now and it is 7:08am. I would have though with no mountains it would get lighter sooner. Maybe it is because we are further north now? Not sure.
Anyways, just me here sitting in the dark with a dribbly nose.

2boy is it dark here Empty Re: boy is it dark here Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:12 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

It's 6:10 here and it is still pitch black, not sure what time first light is....I will watch and make a mental note. Geeze, how far north are you? I would think the farther north the shorter the nights, but then I really don't know much these days, mind freeze! Freakin' colds. I got one too, got it on the way home from the coast last Monday. Anoying as old crap they are, still got snot runny nose!! Have an awesome day, though, CynthiaM

3boy is it dark here Empty Re: boy is it dark here Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:13 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

4boy is it dark here Empty Re: boy is it dark here Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:59 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Where is your new Alberta home coopslave? I think at the shortest day in December there is about 1/2 hr less daylight for every ~2 hours farther north.

This day length I can handle. By the end of November it's just plain depressing.

Also depending where you are in the province east to west compared to BC maybe you will see a bit more light in the evening.

5boy is it dark here Empty Re: boy is it dark here Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

And it always seems like it's light for a long time and then instantly like overnight it goes to being dark for a long time ... and way too early to be dark.

I hate doing chores in the dark!

6boy is it dark here Empty Re: boy is it dark here Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh, I so look forward to the day when we pass the longest night of the year!

But everything has a bright side. Long nights make it easier to sleep in!

7boy is it dark here Empty Re: boy is it dark here Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:13 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

poplar girl wrote:Where is your new Alberta home coopslave?
We are half way between Cochrane and Airdrie. Very pretty but dark in the mornings!! Maybe I just didn't notice it in BC. I am not looking forward to the time change, I hate doing chores in the dark.
It is scary to think that it is going to be 4 months before the days are even this long again.
Sigh, have I said how much I hate winter. I guess I shouldn't complain, it was an amazing day today. Just beautiful. I think I am just grumpy because I am sick. Rolling Eyes 

8boy is it dark here Empty Re: boy is it dark here Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:44 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

coopslave, From one ex-B.C.er to another, yes it does get darker quicker here. Sad When winter really sets in, it's way to dark for too long.

Winter out here is darn depressing. We have been out here going on 6 years, and I still can't get used to that darn time change. Seems silly

that you cross an invisible line coming into Alberta and suddenly the time changes??? We are desperately hoping to go back to B.C. next year.

We both miss it way too much. Time to go home.

Sorry you don't like the darkness coming so early. Hope your cold gets better, lousy timing for sure.

9boy is it dark here Empty Re: boy is it dark here Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:28 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I was going to feel sorry you moving up to the dark cold north but checked map and you're still waaaaay south of us.  Sorry you are sick that sucks especially when moving and so much going on.  Hope you settle in quickly and feel better soon

10boy is it dark here Empty Re: boy is it dark here Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:35 am

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

coopslave wrote:
poplar girl wrote:Where is your new Alberta home coopslave?
We are half way between Cochrane and Airdrie.  Very pretty but dark in the mornings!!  Maybe I just didn't notice it in BC.  I am not looking forward to the time change, I hate doing chores in the dark.
It is scary to think that it is going to be 4 months before the days are even this long again.
Sigh, have I said how much I hate winter.  I guess I shouldn't complain, it was an amazing day today.  Just beautiful.  I think I am just grumpy because I am sick. Rolling Eyes 
how are you settling in?? did you need a hand with anything?? will be nice to know that you live a stone's throw away so that I can actually see the new breed in person!!! I have been longingly looking at the pictures since you have been posting them... they seem really beautiful

11boy is it dark here Empty Re: boy is it dark here Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:06 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Coopslave, I have been taking notes. At about 6:45 here, I can begin to see things outside, dawn of course is much earlier than that. This is a cool site, it is what I use to put in data to see what time sunrise and sunset and things are for me and my Sister back on the coast to compare daylight hours. You might want to play with it. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

12boy is it dark here Empty Re: boy is it dark here Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:08 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks CynthiaM, I look forward to having a look at it. We are closer to 8 before it is light.

13boy is it dark here Empty Re: boy is it dark here Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:40 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

7:38 am yesterday before it was light enough to see cows in the field. Sun went behind the mountains yesterday afternoon at 4:30 pm. I'm always exhausted by this time of year so grateful for the shorter work days.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum