Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dark Cornish pullet

+2
HigginsRAT
Magdelan
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dark Cornish pullet Empty Dark Cornish pullet Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:16 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

practicing the art of posting photographs.  Has anyone had a dark cornish pullet develop like this one?  If so, is it considered good form or not?  She sure is pretty up close.  I'm a pleb on the conformation front, so much to learn and every breed is different!  

Dark Cornish pullet Dk_cor10
Dark Cornish pullet Dk_cor11

2Dark Cornish pullet Empty Re: Dark Cornish pullet Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:28 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:11 am; edited 2 times in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

3Dark Cornish pullet Empty Re: Dark Cornish pullet Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:12 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have a lovely pair of bantam darks and some of their upcoming babies. I also have large fowl whites. If you enjoy this breed and want top quality I know of a couple breeders near you. One is Heather Hayes, our own Viczoe here. I could send you the name of another breeder by email. He is not on Swap so I am not comfy putting his name here.

4Dark Cornish pullet Empty Re: Dark Cornish pullet Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:24 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Geeze, she sure is a pretty little thing, but really, she does not look very cornish to me. The legs are too long and the feather pattern is not like cornish either. Look at the picture that Tara put on, that is what the colour and pattern of feathers should be. But still, a very pretty bird and I bet she is very beautiful up closer too, lovely. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

5Dark Cornish pullet Empty Re: Dark Cornish pullet Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:17 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

thanks for the thoughts on this girl.  I agree Cynthia, she doesn't look very Dk Cornish.  That is why I thought I'd ask if others have ever come across this kind of coloration.  When she is next to the other ones I can see they have dark heads and necks and their bodies are dark feathered also but with the lighter brown filling in the "windows" on the feathers. Not that very light color she has. She's only about 3 months old and the other two (or three?) I have are much more like the one in Tara's picture (thanks) but muuuuuuuch smaller  -  almost runty.  I believe they are late developers?  Hope they get going soon.  None of them look like the males I find in photographs I have seen.  Was hoping to have one of those so I can breed what I think is an excellent meat bird cross.  I don't know whether BCKev would agree but the cross came from him, it is about two times as big again as the little dk cornish that are the same age, growing like an out of control teenager.  This is my first time raising chickens like this, and for food too so new in all ways.  I need to ask Kevin if he used a rooster White Wyandotte over a dk Cornish hen or the other way around but possibly it doesn't matter?  I got two White Wyandottes from him and they are both pullets, really like them actually.  

Thanks for the lead on breeders Sue.  I do like them, they are like marathon atheletes and make my Barred Rock's look like shotputters Laughing   Going to see what they do later though.  Do you use your bantams for meat Sue?   I'm interested in them mostly as meat sources  -  at this point anyway.  

Better get OFF the computer so I can get ready for the movies now.  Going to see something called Gravity I think.  Little movie theatre has real butter on its popcorn.  REAL.  not that fake hydrogenated stuff that just looks like butter :-).

6Dark Cornish pullet Empty Re: Dark Cornish pullet Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:35 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total

7Dark Cornish pullet Empty Re: Dark Cornish pullet Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:44 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Could the runty ones be bantams? My bantams are so heavy that one makes a meal for two. They should feel like a brick in your hands. The large fowl should feel like boulders. It should be hard to get your hands around them.

Yes, I eat my bantams. This is my first year with the large fowl, and I plan on eating them too. The only problem with the bantams is the processor will not take them. They are the original Cornish game hens!

Your Cornish should look like shot putters and all the other chickens should look like skinny marathon runners beside them.

The coloration of dark Cornish is exquisite. The males look almost totally dark, but the hens have a beautiful double lacing that looks like a picture painted by God. As the feathers move over each other they take on a true three dimensional appearance! The necks and tails are darker but the feathers are still individually marked with black and rich brown.

Teachable moment....Do you see the light line down the middle of your hen's feathers? That is called shafting and not desirable.

8Dark Cornish pullet Empty Re: Dark Cornish pullet Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:37 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

You will see some of that 'shafting' in your PChants if you have a look. Usually shows in them on the top part of their chest. That seems to be the only place I am having trouble with it. I think we did talk about it but it many not have sunk in.
The only breed I know that likes shafting is the Welsummer. There may be others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.
Well done on the teachable moment Sue!

9Dark Cornish pullet Empty Re: Dark Cornish pullet Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:57 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

ha  I learned what shafting is now! (in chicken terms) thanks guys. its s poor day when u dont lesrn something...

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

10Dark Cornish pullet Empty Re: Dark Cornish pullet Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:42 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Magdelan, go have a look here.  You will probably have to join to see, it is an Australian site.  The have some good pictures of Dark Cornish, call Indian Game down there.

http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8000997&view=unread#unread

You can really see the double lacing in the hens.  If you have a look, the dark Cornish, with the double lacing have black on the outer edges of the feather.  Your Partridge Chanteclers have pencilling and that is shown by ground colour on the outer edges of the feather.

I think if I ever got Dark Cornish I would have to name the rooster Drumstick! Laughing 

11Dark Cornish pullet Empty Re: Dark Cornish pullet Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:13 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Love those tree stump legs!

12Dark Cornish pullet Empty Re: Dark Cornish pullet Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:30 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

HigginsRAT wrote:...if the birds are slow to develop and you want "an excellent meat bird cross"...the hybrid vigour of two unrelated birds producing meat is possible to over come the slow to develop BUT... think on it a bit.  Twisted Evil 

You want meat birds that step up and get going...start making meat and while "heritage" means slower, firmer, more tasty meat...you don't want the "runty" ones to be your breeders.
Yes, good to think about this.  I guess I was reverting to the concept that size matters and get it done quick  -  they stand at the feeder right now and gobble.  But, I don't see the pure bred dk cornish doing that so much  -  they are not any where near the top of the food chain here.   I imagine that when the snow comes and they stop cavorting so much out there things will change a little.  Going to move the roos into their next room as well soon so the girls will have social change.  

I guess I will be better equipped to make decisions about what to breed for meat once I have tasted so can compare.  Spring 2014 will be the telling . . . and I will watch to see how the runts develop Smile .  Here are a couple of photos of the approx 3 month old dk cornish x white wyandotte rooster.  He is with some PChants (from Coopslave, not great pics of them I'm sorry but they are quite possibly the most beautiful creatures I've seen :-) that are yet to start laying but they are certainly 2 months older than he is if I remember right, Dark Cornish pullet On_the10CSlave?

13Dark Cornish pullet Empty Re: Dark Cornish pullet Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:15 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Could the runty ones be bantams?  
I don't think they are. I will try to take some pics tomorrow and see if I can get a good shot of their feathers and one for size comparison too. I learned something - now I know what shafting is. Thank you Smile 

Sue do you have any good pics of your bantams? Would really enjoy to see some.

14Dark Cornish pullet Empty Re: Dark Cornish pullet Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:19 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:

Your Cornish should look like shot putters and all the other chickens should look like skinny marathon runners beside them.

The coloration of dark Cornish is exquisite.  The males look almost totally dark, but the hens have a beautiful double lacing that looks like a picture painted by God.  As the feathers move over each other they take on a true three dimensional appearance!  The necks and tails are darker but the feathers are still individually marked with black and rich brown.  
Love a good shot putter :-). I will also try to take a pic of one that might be a pure bred male. I was not sure, it came with the bunch and might be a cross with black australorp - its feathers have some of that glorious black/green shine but perhaps a little more blue. Definitely a roo. stumpier legs :-). Love your description of the double lacing Sue.

15Dark Cornish pullet Empty Re: Dark Cornish pullet Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:29 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

coopslave wrote:
I think if I ever got Dark Cornish I would have to name the rooster Drumstick!  Laughing 
That cross in the picture is called Roast (when he's not called Turkey).  He's pretty nice natured, bit un-co but nice and goofy.  legs like small trees if you're a leg person.  

Thanks for the link and lesson Coopslave. Going to have to study those Xena Girls now.  They need a guy to help with the dark side Very Happy . Have to take some time to look at that link properly tomorrow when I can keep my eyes open.  

If anyone wants to know about an adrenalin packed movie go see Gravity.  Sandra Bullock, George Clooney.  I was gripped pretty much the whole way after the first 5 minutes which was setting a scene.  The rest was gripping and in 3 D, totally ducking and gasping as things flew at me!

16Dark Cornish pullet Empty Re: Dark Cornish pullet Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:12 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I will look for pictures. It is hard getting that low to the ground with a camera!

17Dark Cornish pullet Empty Re: Dark Cornish pullet Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:35 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total

18Dark Cornish pullet Empty Re: Dark Cornish pullet Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:12 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Tara, I think you white is a large fowl. They tend to have slightly longer tails and are a little taller in leg and neck!

19Dark Cornish pullet Empty Re: Dark Cornish pullet Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:27 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh my goodness Tara, that is really a beautiful little chicken.  She's very pretty.  Having "want that chicken in my barn" issues again pirat   And that white cornish rooster sure is a nicely turned out chap (please tell me I got the gender correct).   I struggle with all that genetic stuff but am slowly opening my mind to it so probably good I expose my mind to it and eventually it will make sense.  It looks like you trying to make a bantam partridge chantecler, if so, much joy with it!

btw, is that snow there right now or was this picture taken last year?

20Dark Cornish pullet Empty Re: Dark Cornish pullet Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:36 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

21Dark Cornish pullet Empty Re: Dark Cornish pullet Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:41 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

22Dark Cornish pullet Empty Re: Dark Cornish pullet Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:50 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Have been back and forth twice now trying to get some photos and these are my best bet.  They are just not standing still and posing for the camera today Evil or Very Mad   I realise that the little road runner dark cornish kids are not really that runty, they just look it when standing next to the big guy (Roast) and they will gain weight and fill out over time.  They are probably just being the breed they are!  Really thinking about what you said Tara  -  is there a trade off for big over tasty.  Still, won't know until later when they go for the chop.  I am mighty impressed by the bantam idea.  Quite understand about getting on their level Sue, apart from being only a few mm off the ground, they just won't stay still!  Don't sweat over it but one day maybe they will present their best features for you when you happen to be in the right spot with a camera Smile .

Dark Cornish pullet Closeu10
Dark Cornish pullet Feathe10
Dark Cornish pullet A10
Dark Cornish pullet Big_an10

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum