Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A box of love.

+5
coopslave
Schipperkesue
lanaire-ranching
mirycreek
uno
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A box of love. Empty A box of love. Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:00 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Today I got a box of love. It came in the mail. Plain wrapping, large, black Sharpie lettering. Lots of packing tape.

It contained a wonderful jar of homemade plum preserves, an interesting dimmer switch arrangement that I think cries out to be used in an incubator. And most amazingly of all, a rare and almost impossible to find specimen of the Round Belly Crocheted White.

The Round Belly Crocheted White was once a staple of every farm yard, favoured by Midwestern women who kept a diversity of stock to line the larder and feed the family. THey were a medium sized chicken with bright white feathering and a brilliant red comb of smallish size. They were winter hardy, great layers and most peculiar of all, completely legless.

For those of you who have never seen a real, live Round Belly Crocheted White, I include a very rare photo of the one sent to me today. Behold!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thank you to Lanaire Ranching for taking the time and the love to send me these wonderful gifts. I think the RBCW will be the guard chicken in my fabric stash. I am thrilled to bits!

2A box of love. Empty Re: A box of love. Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:02 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Too sweet! Best part is she wont cost too much to feed. What a nice surprise!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

3A box of love. Empty Re: A box of love. Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:35 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

pssst... knitted. and I think her chicks got left behind... they may or may not be in another box yet to come. or not. ahahahaha

4A box of love. Empty Re: A box of love. Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:37 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

uno wrote: I think the RBCW will be the guard chicken in my fabric stash. I am thrilled to bits!

OOHHH and if she gets naughty, you could use her as a pincushion!! ahaha

and yupper!! that is a new fancy-shmancy dimmer controlled switch that I made my husband build you so that you can use it to help you control the heat in a incubator (or brooder. I like them for my brooders too! especially as the chicks get older, you can literally turn down the heat without fussing with the lamp height)

5A box of love. Empty Re: A box of love. Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:01 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oops, my mistake. The crocheted and the knitted version of this hen are quite similar to the untrained eye. My eye, being untrained, made the mistake. However, both strains are still legless.

6A box of love. Empty Re: A box of love. Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:54 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I hear Lanaire has been raising Round Bellies for the last 10 years and has made some great strides in the shows with them. She has a long list of people waiting for quality pairs. You are one lucky gal, Uno!

7A box of love. Empty Re: A box of love. Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:05 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is FANTASTIC. You are truly talented Lanaire.

8A box of love. Empty Re: A box of love. Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:18 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very sweet of you Lanaire, love that chicken. If I ever get out of the feathered variety I think I might need me a few of those knitted varieties. Smile

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

9A box of love. Empty Re: A box of love. Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:28 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

10A box of love. Empty Re: A box of love. Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:25 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno, you do know that you are loved by many, you are a shining star, I hope you know that. Lanaire gave you gift from her heart and now isn't that just a thing of beauty! This round belly knitted white (and the other homemade goodies, you are blessed). You spoke of that like it really was a part of the old homestead homes. Is this a true thing? or something that you conjured up to make this an interesting post? I need to know. I always need to know things when I hear something like this. If this really was an important staple for women in the past, I really need to do some reading about it, cause I find it most interesting. A round belly knitted white. A round belly crochetted white, almost the same thing. This is cool. Oh and I LOVED the pile of fabric that I see as the background. Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

11A box of love. Empty Re: A box of love. Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:35 am

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

you guys all make me giggle! it was a pleasure to make, especially knowing because I knew who I was sending it to!
Chick Help 

12A box of love. Empty Re: A box of love. Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:48 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Such a lovely looking hen. Cool Lucky uno!

13A box of love. Empty Re: A box of love. Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:15 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

The RBKW (Round Belly Knitted White) is keeping me company, peering down at me from my fabric stash. That's the fabric you saw, CynthiaM, a small portion of my fabric stash, the brown pile. I have a red pile and yellow pile and green and cream and blue and purple and etc pile too!

Did farm ladies of yon keep flocks of legless knitted chickens? I think it's very possible. Tell us what you find out.

14A box of love. Empty Re: A box of love. Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:31 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:
Did farm ladies of yon keep flocks of legless knitted chickens? I think it's very possible. Tell us what you find out.
ah, so you were teasing, no problem, I get it Razz  , have a most awesome day, CynthiaM.

15A box of love. Empty Re: A box of love. Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:40 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Me? Tease? Never!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum