Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

yellow bush beans

+3
mirycreek
CynthiaM
coopslave
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1yellow bush beans Empty yellow bush beans Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at the yellow bush beans I planted. They pushed thru the rogue potatoes, managed to survive the weed onslaught and have given me beautiful, yellow beans. Even hubby like them and he is not a bean fan.

Had a yummy, homegrown supper tonight. Steak from out steer, potatoes boiled and salted, beets boiled and sliced and green beans boiled and finished with some butter, salt and pepper. Full and sleepy now.

Will be planting yellow bush beans next year and giving them a much better chance at survival!!!

2yellow bush beans Empty Re: yellow bush beans Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:21 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

You typed green beans sliced, you meant, yellow beans, I know that, smiling. Isn't it a joy, Coopslave, to gather from our own gardens and eat the bounty. Honestly, can it get any better. Good for you, you gave a picture before that you could grow nothing. Now looky at what ya did, beef, beets, beans and potatoes, I think you can grow, you just been telling whoppers, smiling again. Yay for the garden harvest we stuff down our throats to feel our hungry bellies. Have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

3yellow bush beans Empty Re: yellow bush beans Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:48 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I like that I can Find the yellow beans on the vine! Notlike the sneaky green ones!
One year I planted purple ones even the kids could find thosr.
They turned green when you cooked them though!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

4yellow bush beans Empty Re: yellow bush beans Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:53 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

You are right CynthiaM, fingers typed on their own there I think. Yellow beans it was.
We had a good season this year. I will be trying the beans again next year and giving them a bit more room. Can always grow any root type veggie that doesn't have to long a growing season. Peas, lettuce, arugula, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage if I start it early enough all do fine. Nothing tender though. Tomatoes, watermelon and squash don't make it here.
I do have corn this year. I haven't said much because I don't want to jinx it, but I think I may even get some to eat!!!! Shocked
Like I say, a good season for us here.
Miry, I will have to have a look at the purple ones. I like the bush beans and hubby will eat the yellow ones, he is not a huge bean fan.
It does feel nice to provide a whole meal for us from our hard work. Spent all afternoon yesterday boiling, skinning, slicing and freezing beets. We will have beets most of the winter by the time I am done them all. It does feel good. Going to do some potatoes the same way I think and see how they come out after being frozen.

5yellow bush beans Empty Re: yellow bush beans Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:15 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
These are the ones!

6yellow bush beans Empty Re: yellow bush beans Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:28 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I like the idea of the tri colour bush blend there Miry. Will have to keep it in mind for next spring.

7yellow bush beans Empty Re: yellow bush beans Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:06 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

mirycreek wrote:I like that I can Find the yellow beans on the vine!  Notlike the sneaky green ones!
One year I planted purple ones even the kids could find thosr.
They turned green when you cooked them though!
They work for my boys, 9, 7 and 4 years old.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
rabbit 

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

8yellow bush beans Empty Re: yellow bush beans Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:36 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

mirycreek wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
These are the ones!
Miry, we planted yellow, green and purple this year and I found the purple ones (even though they turned green) were a brighter green and didn't have that subtle stringy texture to them like the green. Next year we're going to plant just yellow and purple.

Hey Coop, it is grand to eat from one's garden. I find I enjoy our vegetables in the garden best just steaming with some butter, salt and pepper. The flavour is so fabulous, you don't need to do anything else to them. Glad you had a good crop.

9yellow bush beans Empty Re: yellow bush beans Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:03 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Do I still need to support my bush beans or will they grow in a.....bush?

10yellow bush beans Empty Re: yellow bush beans Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:23 pm

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

coopslave wrote:You are right CynthiaM, fingers typed on their own there I think. Yellow beans it was.  
We had a good season this year. I will be trying the beans again next year and giving them a bit more room.  Can always grow any root type veggie that doesn't have to long a growing season.   Peas, lettuce, arugula, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage if I start it early enough all do fine.  Nothing tender though.  Tomatoes, watermelon and squash don't make it here.
I do have corn this year.  I haven't said much because I don't want to jinx it, but I think I may even get some to eat!!!! Shocked
Like I say, a good season for us here.
Miry, I will have to have a look at the purple ones.  I like the bush beans and hubby will eat the yellow ones, he is not a huge bean fan.
It does feel nice to provide a whole meal for us from our hard work.  Spent all afternoon yesterday boiling, skinning, slicing and freezing beets.  We will have beets most of the winter by the time I am done them all.  It does feel good.  Going to do some potatoes the same way I think and see how they come out after being frozen.
If you want to freeze spuds you need to add a bit of dairy to them. I mash them, add some sour cream and some cream cheeze - along with a pile of other not-so-good for you things like bacon, and scoop them up with a large cookie scoop and freeze them on a cookie sheet. (bag them after they are frozen). When I need them I put them in a casserole dish, top with cheese and bake. They are fabulous. If you don't add something to them they get watery and grainy.

I have a friend who makes hash brows successfully as well.

11yellow bush beans Empty Re: yellow bush beans Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:40 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

coopslave wrote:Do I still need to support my bush beans or will they grow in a.....bush?
If they are bush beans you dont have to suppport I was looking at bcboys beans anf I think he must have a pole type.
I prefer the bush ones myself. Our wind is too wild for staked type plants

12yellow bush beans Empty Re: yellow bush beans Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:42 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yellow beans are my favoritest beans! They have the butter grown right in!

13yellow bush beans Empty Re: yellow bush beans Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:37 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Yellow beans are my favoritest beans!  They have the butter grown right in!
I agree Sue, I think they do taste different. Less green I think! Laughing 
I enjoy the yellow, may see if I can grow the purple next year. They have a bit longer growing season. 5 extra days can make ya or break ya here!!!

14yellow bush beans Empty Re: yellow bush beans Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:26 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bowker Acres wrote:If you want to freeze spuds you need to add a bit of dairy to them.  I mash them, add some sour cream and some cream cheeze - along with a pile of other not-so-good for you things like bacon, and scoop them up with a large cookie scoop and freeze them on a cookie sheet.  (bag them after they are frozen).  When I need them I put them in a casserole dish, top with cheese and bake.  They are fabulous.  If you don't add something to them they get watery and grainy.

Now this is one of the most useful facts of freezing that I think I have ever come across. Whoop whoop!! Pretty excited here. Potatoes are a staple for our family, rice is nice, but potatoes are even better. I have frozen potatoes before, can't remember why, and EXACTLY, that is what happened, they went watery and horrible grainy, just like you said Bowker. So...never did again. Now, I see that there is a chance to have a lovely frozen potato dish. I am going to have mountains of potatoes from my gardens, and really, was wondering what on earth I was going to do with them. I do not have a cool storage place. It is either room temperature or frozen solid. I.e., back room of Daughter's home, where I store my canned goods, warm, or our container, where we store the rest of our life we can't fit in our home, cold, freezes up to -17 in there...so, this has brought a new meaning to potato storage. I have lots of freezer room, Very Happy  . And totally and absolutely do love to have mashed potatoes in wintertime, along with gravy from meats, comfort food and by George, I think we got it!! Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

Whoop, whoop, another thought. I have a dehydrator...maybe I should dehydrate too, then it would be just like the scalloped potatoes that come in a box, that sometimes I will splurge on in the winter. Hmmmm....wonder how I can make dry boxed mashed potatoes, like the ones that are all fluff and you add boiling water and milk and butter. Wonder how they get those all fluffed like that. Instant mashed potatoes, from the garden, now wouldn't that be a boon. Oops, this one was about beans...I was going to plant bush beans, yellow this year, but, well, just didn't. Next year. I like how bush beans come all at once. I always grow pole, cause I like to have the picking last a long time, but if in hurry, get the bush beans, they are all ready in just a couple of pickings. Have their good points for sure.

15yellow bush beans Empty Re: yellow bush beans Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:29 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

CynthiaM wrote:
Bowker Acres wrote:If you want to freeze spuds you need to add a bit of dairy to them.  I mash them, add some sour cream and some cream cheeze - along with a pile of other not-so-good for you things like bacon, and scoop them up with a large cookie scoop and freeze them on a cookie sheet.  (bag them after they are frozen).  When I need them I put them in a casserole dish, top with cheese and bake.  They are fabulous.  If you don't add something to them they get watery and grainy.

Now this is one of the most useful facts of freezing that I think I have ever come across.  Whoop whoop!!  Pretty excited here.  Potatoes are a staple for our family, rice is nice, but potatoes are even better.  I have frozen potatoes before, can't remember why, and EXACTLY, that is what happened, they went watery and horrible grainy, just like you said Bowker.  So...never did again.  Now, I see that there is a chance to have a lovely frozen potato dish.  I am going to have mountains of potatoes from my gardens, and really, was wondering what on earth I was going to do with them.  I do not have a cool storage place. It is either room temperature or frozen solid.  I.e., back room of Daughter's home, where I store my canned goods, warm, or our container, where we store the rest of our life we can't fit in our home, cold, freezes up to -17 in there...so, this has brought a new meaning to potato storage.  I have lots of freezer room, Very Happy  .  And totally and absolutely do love to have mashed potatoes in wintertime, along with gravy from meats, comfort food and by George, I think we got it!!  Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

I friends say he has a sandbox. He buries all the root vegetables and green beans 2' deep in the sand box. He covers rows of vegetables that he would use in one week with plywood. The plywood is 16" wide by 8' long, you can double up on the length. Let the snow fly, dig up only 8' or 4' if you cut them in half at a time. The rest is insulated by the snow. He said he and old lady taught in that.
So I guess that's a poor mans root seller?
Who else has herd of this?

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum