Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

No Time for Summer Eggs

+2
CynthiaM
HigginsRAT
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1No Time for Summer Eggs Empty No Time for Summer Eggs Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:02 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

2No Time for Summer Eggs Empty Re: No Time for Summer Eggs Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:59 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh ya, for sure, that's why I'm not inside too, laying summer eggs, just got too much fun goin' on outside to be inside. That was a neat round egg, so not like what the breed gives eh!! One of my cochins laid an egg the size of a king marble the other day, what's with that one? I think it as the opposite of yours, maybe she layed too many that day, lmao. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

3No Time for Summer Eggs Empty Re: No Time for Summer Eggs Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:30 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Most of my PChants lay those really round eggs. Difficult to figure out which end to set down in the incubator in the spring sometimes, have to candle them. Actually I am lazy and guess and then wait till the first candling and oops, a few are the wrong way round. Embarassed

I am surprised your girls are going back to lay, I am sure when mine are out the have a stash somewhere. I never get as many eggs when I let them out early!!

4No Time for Summer Eggs Empty Re: No Time for Summer Eggs Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:07 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I try to let the hens out every other day. They take turns with the roosters freetanging otherwise I worry they will make nests outside!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

5No Time for Summer Eggs Empty Re: No Time for Summer Eggs Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:57 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm very glad that several of you are describing eggs as being round or close to round.  Earlier in the year I advertised our Delaware eggs as being round on Kijiji and received a comment from someong that their Delaware eggs were normal shaped and ours were not.

6No Time for Summer Eggs Empty Re: No Time for Summer Eggs Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:36 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I too get the odd completely round egg. I have lots of difficulty figuring our which way is supposed to be "UP" What i do is look for the slight bumps and i am figuring that this is the bottom part of the egg? Does it really matter with these round wonders which way is up?

7No Time for Summer Eggs Empty Re: No Time for Summer Eggs Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:01 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think it is better to have the air cell up for incubating but not sure why, if the egg is round maybe it doesn't really matter?
I always store my eating eggs air cell up too as they are supposed to keep better that way, not that it really matters they are always eaten before they get very old at all!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum