Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Summer Coop *pic heavy*

+10
'lilfarm
authenticfarm
ChickenTeam
Hidden River
loushrop
Schipperkesue
bckev
mirycreek
coopslave
Blue Hill Farm
14 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Empty New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:13 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

The conversion from shabby grain bin to cool summer coop is almost complete, I’m so happy with the results I wanted to share a few pictures.Very Happy 

Front view
New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Newcoop2013003

Side View
New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Newcoop2013033

Back side (with tenplast windows in)
New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Newcoop2013007

Inside
New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Newcoop2013024

Current occupants
New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Newcoop2013009

Cool roosts hubby built me (poop boards still to be installed)
New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Newcoop2013013

Unruly rooster/segregation pens (another work in progress)
New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Newcoop2013018

Young roos checking out the “secret door” lol
New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Newcoop2013030

Now building the run fun begins! bounce

2New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Empty Re: New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:20 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nice! What did you end up doing with the roof?

3New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Empty Re: New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:32 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

coopslave wrote:Nice! What did you end up doing with the roof?

Thanks coop! Roof was renailed and tarred along the seams, then painted with driveway sealer of all things. Embarassed I was against it at first, (did not like the idea of a black roof) but hubby was insistent we try it HIS way, Rolling Eyes so I complied. Didn't want to lose my helping hand quite yet. Laughing 

Still plan to put a whirly roof vent thingy up top to help vent hot air, though the inside doesn't seem too warm at all. Yesterday was +28 (yay!) too. sunny Banana 

4New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Empty Re: New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:00 am

EEEE, it's like a yurt but with chickens.  SO CUTE.

Last edited by Sweetened on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

5New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Empty Re: New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:32 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nice, I like you have lots of windows for light and ventilation, are the tenplast covered ones on the "sunny" side?
Must be a bit of a trick building stuff inside a round building but I like that there are no corners for chicks to pile up in!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

6New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Empty Re: New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:34 am

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

that is great. I just built a new coop and used stair stringers to make my roosts.

7New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Empty Re: New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:40 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fabulous! I love cool buildings and I am so jealous!!!

8New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Empty Re: New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:28 pm

loushrop

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Wow! I love it. I am very very envious! Lou

9New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Empty Re: New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:02 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Really like it, like Miry said no corners, I would love about 5 of these for growing out chicks. Smile

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

10New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Empty Re: New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:21 pm

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

That is such a cool building! Looks like lots of room for its lucky occupants. Your avatar is adorable, too.

11New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Empty Re: New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:09 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

So cute! Now I want to go steal a grain bin.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

12New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Empty Re: New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:52 pm

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

What an awesome coop! Great way to repurpose an old grain bin. Love it!

I've seen pictures of old grain silos made into homes. Some are quite amazing. (just google "grain bin home") I wonder how people come up with ideas like this. I just don't have the eye (or vision) to see an old grain silo full of oldy moldy grain, dust and mouse turds and think, "that would be a real sweet home with a little fixing up". Shocked

You guys did a great job!!!

13New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Empty Re: New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:07 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great coop Flicker and it reminds me of a yurt as well. I love anything that's different.

14New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Empty Re: New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:38 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks guys. Very Happy I am quite proud of my new coop yurt. lol Even hubby was proudly telling the guys at Home Hardware about it the other day. I am officially the crazy chicken lady in town. haha And the best part is total out of pocket expense was just shy of $400 because we used a lot of materials we already had on hand – like the window/door trim. It’s made from an old, wooden swather head the previous owner left hanging on the shop wall.

Really wish I had more bins to convert too. There was actually another grain bin right beside this one that we originally planned to make into an attached run, than made the discovery it was mostly rotten, and too far gone to save. I have a pic somewhere's here… New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Chickens2013026
Pic also shows what the coop looked like before, minus the window holes.
“Old grain silo full of oldy moldy grain, dust and mouse turds” pretty much sums it up. Laughing 

I still think it would have looked really cool with a gable like run, but was not meant to be. We’ll likely make a simple rectangle one now. Hubby’s had enough of working with round walls for the time being, as have I. Sure does make everything more difficult and time consuming.

Miry, the front is facing west, so the side you can see with the tenplast covers in faces east. All the windows have tenplast coverings that can be easily removed, except the accidental skylight where I tried to put a vent in and messed up with my not so trusty sawzall. Nobody told me it had different blades, nor that the blade had been changed and I was using one meant for ripping 2x4’s. Thankfully hubby fixed the hole for me and the end result is more light inside the building, so it’s all good.

Here’s an up close shot of a window. I love that I can just stick the tenplast covers in, turn the thing a ma jiggies, and everything’s sealed up tight.
New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Newcoop2013052

Your avatar is adorable, too.

Hey, thanks! I was trying to copy something I seen a member on here do (think it was TripleJfarms?) and completely terrorized the silver chick with an extended photo shoot. 101 photos later, I think I have two that semi turned out. Rolling Eyes  Poor chipmunk is too cute for it’s own good. Can not stop touching… lol Yours is pretty cute too btw. Wink

15New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Empty Re: New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:41 am

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

My little chipmunk chick is a silver ameraucana over a Jonny Anvil Bluff. I think it is our cutest chick ever.

16New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Empty Re: New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:32 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh you did a fantastic job. WOW!!!!!! Smile How big is it? I think I need one in the front yard, I'd call it my Zombie retreat,

only with chickens inside. Who's to know, if you had the odd zombie picture on it. alien 

Awesome coop. Way to go. Love it. cheers  Yep, like a bunch of us on here, now I want one too.

Really would like to know measurements though. Smile Smile 

17New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Empty Re: New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:59 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

LOVE IT! That's a perfect coop!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

18New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Empty Re: New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:10 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks all!

Lady Leghorn, the buildings dimensions are 17ft x 17ft at its widest point. Plenty big enough for a small flock of chooks and hiding from the hoard if need be. Razz 

ChickenTeam wrote:My little chipmunk chick is a silver ameraucana over a Jonny Anvil Bluff.  I think it is our cutest chick ever.

Its little head spot is too cute. lol I hope you'll post pics as your chick grows as that is an interesting cross. I just realized you have some of my favorite breed/varieties of chickens according to your siggie. I'd LOVE to see pics of your Ameraucanas sometime. Very Happy

19New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Empty Re: New Summer Coop *pic heavy* Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:26 pm

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

That is so awesome.
Turkeys would love living in the round!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum