Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

! !/2 month old chicks

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1! !/2 month old chicks Empty ! !/2 month old chicks Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:29 am

olesoftie

Just noticed one of the chicks is a little off. He keeps opening his mouth and closing his eyes. They are inside a building in large cage with shavings. The other 2 seem fine and so does Mom. Any suggestions what I could do for him?

2! !/2 month old chicks Empty Re: ! !/2 month old chicks Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:24 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Is he too hot? It's been pretty humid and warm. Make sure he isn't cooking.

Put water in front of him or even set him on wetted ground to cool his toes, but there isn't much to do. Sorry. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

3! !/2 month old chicks Empty 1 1/2 month old chick Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:22 pm

olesoftie

No he is not too warm. He was just drinking but he keeps stretching his neck up to swallow or get air??? He is always opening his mouth and gaping so to speak.

4! !/2 month old chicks Empty Re: ! !/2 month old chicks Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:39 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've seen two kinds of mouth opening.

The intermittent kind, like hey have something stuck in their throat that they can't get down. Every now and then they each up and look almost like they're yawning. Can you look down his throat?

The other kind is that mouth opening and closing over and over in a row, like gasping, and this is what chicks do just before they die. I see this in extremely young chicks most often, like the ones I have pulled out of their shells them not having hatched on their own. If they are going to die they do that open mouthed gasping thing, then expire.

Closed eyes and a sleepy look is not sleepy. It's pain. Some birds can be hunched and ruffled and sick, but still alert and seeing their environment. When they get that closing the eyes thing, they are hurting.

Hot birds also pant, mouths open, breathing like a hot dog. Not a hot dog on a bun, but a hot dog who's been chasing a stick. Didn't want to confuse you. Good luck.

5! !/2 month old chicks Empty Re: ! !/2 month old chicks Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:21 pm

olesoftie

I tried to look down his throat with a flashlight and and could only see so far. When he took a swallow of water he stretched his neck up to swallow. Now he is like breathing with his mouth open a little. I just don.t know what else to do for him. I did give him a tiny bit of ivermectin that he got down it was in paste form. Don't know what he could of got stuck in his throat??? They are insisde in a cage with shavings. However I did throw a grasshopper in there for him a few days back???

6! !/2 month old chicks Empty Re: ! !/2 month old chicks Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:28 am

Do they have access to grit? Maybe they're having trouble breaking down whatever is being fed to them. It does sound like he's having trouble breathing due to an obstruction

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum