Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking for some new "Chicken Buddies"

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Looking for some new "Chicken Buddies" Empty Looking for some new "Chicken Buddies" Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:50 pm

Perryschofield

Perryschofield
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My friend Shawn has decided that he is not going to keep as many breeds this year. That means I am looking for one or two new "chicken Buddies" to help me in raising my standard Wyandotte poultry. I am looking for someone within 50-75 km of Grande Prairie, Alberta if possible. The way the deal works is I will provide the person with either a trio or quad (usually a quad) of a heritage breed at no cost. They are responsible to keep them in a way that they will not cross breed with any other breeds. I will also keep a quad of that breed. That way there is at least two Roos and six hens of that breed available for breeding the next spring. If their is no problems the person may sell hatching eggs or hatch chicks from the breed for their self. Any money they make is theirs. If one of the Roos is lost or the roo I keep is infertile I get to borrow the quad back for the hatching season. I will split the chicks from the roo and six hens with them.

If their are no problems they get to sell the old quad (keeping the money for them self) the next fall and I will supply them with a new quad of young birds for the next breeding season again at no cost.

This should help guarantee that no breeding season will be lost for that heritage breeds and help keep the breed going.

I win by not having to keep extra Roos, and my buddy wins by having beautiful birds to keep and hopefully some to sell theirselves. Since I am always trying to improve my birds each year by bringing in the best bloodlines I can find, hopefully the breed will get better each year. They will always each fall get some of the best birds I have as I will be culling them as if I was keeping for my own breeding pens.

This fall I will be looking for people who are willing to help me with White Wyandottes, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Golden Laced Wyandottes, possibly Blue/Black Wyandottes. In 2014 I hope to add Buff and Barred Wyandottes to the list. I would like also to find some one to keep a quad each of my show line Partridge Rocks and show line Speckled Sussex. To keep these two breeds you must have a pen warm enough to keep their combs from freezing.

If you are willing to take at least two or maybe three of the breeds please let me know. The person must be willing to come to my place to pick up the birds and willing to let me come and see their set up. If interested please email me at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or phone me at 780-957-2047 after August 8th when I am home from vacation.

http://www.pandlgamebirds.ca

Perryschofield

Perryschofield
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Forgot to add Partridge Wyandotte to list for this fall.

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

This is such a great idea Perry, the sharing/banking of genetics. Cool 

I'd like to do something similar in the future with my chosen breed. I hope you can find a Wyandotte buddy or two. What a wonderful opportunity. Good luck! flower

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Oh man, I wished I lived closer!!

Speckled Sussex... my favourite, and I have an empty coop at the moment that is just waiting for some new birds.

But we live over by Whitecourt. Sad 

Perryschofield

Perryschofield
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hi

Whitecourt could work. I go by usually every other month or so. The only thing I am asking people to take at least two types to make it worth while for me.  Do you have a warm enough coop for the SS comb not to freeze? Could you take a Wyandotte?

Perry

6Looking for some new "Chicken Buddies" Empty Re: Looking for some new "Chicken Buddies" Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:45 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great opportunity for a person and a great Teacher also wish you were in Sask

7Looking for some new "Chicken Buddies" Empty Re: Looking for some new "Chicken Buddies" Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:33 am

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Perryschofield wrote:Hi

Whitecourt could work. I go by usually every other month or so. The only thing I am asking people to take at least two types to make it worth while for me.  Do you have a warm enough coop for the SS comb not to freeze? Could you take a Wyandotte?

Perry

Hubby built me a new insulated coop a couple years ago, I keep it heated all winter.  I have always kept all my birds together through the winter but I am sure I could divide up the coop into 2 pens if I needed to.  

I have a couple tractors I use through the summer months to divide up any groups I have had.  I don't have any birds at the moment because last fall the neighbours dog came while I was at work and killed all but 2.  I decided to not keep only 2 birds over the winter.  So, before I get more I plan on making a bigger, more secure pen off the main coop.  No more free ranging in the yard like last year.  Our dog always kept them safe from predators, not sure why he didn't chase off the neighbours dog this time.  The neighbours did feel really bad and offered to pay for the birds lost, and the dog hasnt' been back since.  Lesson learned for me the hard way.  

I have a busy schedule so was looking to have no more than 8-12 birds.  My son (he's 11) helps with the birds too and so I guess the only other thing I would like is friendly roos.  We loved our Speckled Sussex trio we had a few years back.  That is the breed we were looking for.  I haven't kept Wyandottes before but I will do some research.  

I would love to have you stop in and see my set up, I am always open to suggestions.  

We are about ten minutes south of hwy 43 between Whitecourt and Mayerthorpe.  Not ideal, but I guess if you do travel through often enough it could work.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum