Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime

+7
toybarons
lady leghorn
Schipperkesue
bckev
authenticfarm
coopslave
uno
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:28 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

toybarons wrote:I miss blood pudding. Growing up in Montreal, mom used to bring home blood pudding once a week. OMG with ketchup, so good. When I came west, in Edmonton, no one knew what the heck blood pudding was. Instead it was blood sausage. It's a little different but I loved that too...with ketchup. Love the smell of it frying on the stove. The spices. Mmmmmmm.

We usually have our Blutwurst thinly sliced on rye. I am sure it is the same thing.

Toybarons, sounds like the motto of your culture is the same as mine. 'Dont waste anything!'

52Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:50 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

53Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:35 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Tara, your dad and dad would get along famously!

54Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:53 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I see someone took Jamie to task over the 'pink slime'. But this guy isn't a celeb so his opinion doesn't carry as much clout.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

55Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:16 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

56Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:34 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Personally I am a fat lover. I LOVE pork chop fat, especially a bbq'd pork chop, crispy fat, beef fat on a nice bbq'd steak. One Daughter cringes the other Daughter eats fat with me. Pork rinds. Had a home grown smoked pork picnic ham from our friend's pork grown on her farm, of which we had purchased a side. I cut off the thick already-crispy-a-little bit from the first cooking skin and she cooked it further in the oven, lovely and very crispy pork rind. We ate that all up before we had diner Razz  , yummeeee. I think fat is a very important part of diet and I say bring it!! I am Finnish and Scottish, love pickled herring, especially the pickled that my Grandmother used to brine. Love palt made with salt pork too. I wonder how palt is spelled. Basically a potato and flour ball, boiled with hamburger and salt pork stuff into the middle of it, served with ummmm, I think strawberry or raspberry jam. Was this wandering a little off the topic of pink slime? I don't think I have ever eaten any kind of pink slime, what is pink slime, really, anyways Rolling Eyes  Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

57Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:36 am

We're also significant fat eaters. Margarine is burned if brought onto my property as it is not allowed in my house. I'll practically bearspray someone bringing that close to my house. BUTTER ONLY here. Or lard, I'll use lard. Bacon, bacon wrapped bacon, bacon wrapped beans (MMMMM), bacon wrapped meat. Any animal fat really. Since we've started including more fat in our meals, quality fat, we've lost weight and feel way better. Now, just to get my raw milk back Sad

58Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:57 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

59Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:00 am

Ugh I won't eat nuked anything really, anymore. ESPECIALLY not bacon. Sacrilege.

Here's the recipe I used and err-mah-gherd. You can smother meat with soy sauce and a dash of brown sugar and AWWWH that's an awesome flavor and texture.

I'ma try it with asparagus next.

60Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:02 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

61Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:05 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

HigginsRAT wrote:Instant bacon, what's to stop you from eating it at every meal?  

I cook up an entire pack of bacon in the oven (takes two cookie sheets to spread it all out), then freeze the extra in baggies. Instant bacon whenever I want! Perfect to throw into salads or omelets or BLT's or whatever ...

Line the sheets with tinfoil, though, or let the doggies lick them clean for you. Otherwise, that's a lot of bacon grease to try to wash off!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

62Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:51 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

authenticfarm wrote:
HigginsRAT wrote:Instant bacon, what's to stop you from eating it at every meal?  

I cook up an entire pack of bacon in the oven (takes two cookie sheets to spread it all out), then freeze the extra in baggies. Instant bacon whenever I want! Perfect to throw into salads or omelets or BLT's or whatever ...

Line the sheets with tinfoil, though, or let the doggies lick them clean for you. Otherwise, that's a lot of bacon grease to try to wash off!

Then you can simply reuse the tinfoil Laughing Just don't tell anyone how you got it so clean. Razz 

63Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:29 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Clean up the bacon grease! What?

No, no! Scrape it into a container with a lid and keep it in the fridge. Need to add flavour to boiled taters or ANYTHING for that matter, add a glob of bacon grease.

I swear, bacon grease and my mother's liberal use of it was the reason my husband married me. Mom believes if something lacks flavour you should add bacon grease, butter, cream, sour cream and salt. In that order. Husband had never eaten so well but failed to realize that the cooking gene skips a generation. Oh the disappointment he has dealt with.

I have never served him pink slime, well not on purpose anyway.

64Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:37 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bacon grease makes THE BEST fried potatoes ...

65Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:30 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

authentic farm.......How long do you cook the bacon on the cookie trays in the oven? Do you turn them during cooking?

Do they come out crisp? This sounds very interesting, I would like to try it. Very Happy 

66Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:30 pm

I also love that method, Authentic.

The best bacon ever is done over a campfire in a fish cooking wrap. Flip only once and listen to it sizzle.

67Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:11 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bacon fat is the BEST for cooking.  My parents kept a container with a screened lid on the top to collect bacon fat.  It's at on the counter and was used to fry everything...especially potatoes.

In the '80s the bacon fat disappeared and now they use oil.  It is just not the same.  

To me bacon belongs with the spices.  It is not a meat.  You can sprinkle it on everything!

68Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:13 pm

Even cookies.

And keeps you young!

69Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:06 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bacon should be declared a food group onto itself.

Growing up we too had the tin in the fridge for our bacon grease. That is what was left after first taking a piece of bread and soaking it in the grease first. mmmmmmmmm

70Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:02 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

71Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:31 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

lady leghorn wrote:authentic farm.......How long do you cook the bacon on the cookie trays in the oven?   Do you turn them during cooking?

Do they come out crisp?      This sounds very interesting, I would like to try it.  Very Happy 

Technique: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You can just leave it in there until it is at your desired crispness.

72Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:18 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

OK you bunch of bad boys and girls, bacon eating hounds!! I think there is a consensus that bacon is mighty fine food. And guess what, green bean season is just around the corner. My pole beans are setting flowers and I know within 2 weeks gonna have lots o' green beans. Two types, the flattish romano style, meaty and oh man, full of bean flavour (got a special one that I ordered that replaced basically the one that I used to grow marketed by West Coast Seeds (Territorial seeds at that time) called "Musica". Can't find that bean but have a replacement one, evidently the same, smiling and blue lake pole. Two tried and true pole beans. Right where was I. Not to go too much off topic, I have taken that recipe about bacon wrapped beans and made a word document and put it in the recipe section. Just easier than going to the website, revamped the recipe a little so it did not take up as much space either. Go there, the recipe is a good one that looks like it will rock our bacon soaked socks!!

Tara, you are such a teasing girl, you tease the ever living daylights out of me, and I think you are funny Wink  , you silly girl. Off to probably think about cooking some of the homegrown, bacon, cured and processed by Sedo meatshop for our toasted tomato and bacon sandwiches for lunch. Cut thickly, and oh man oh man, ain't it all just a good ol' thing. Have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

73Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 3 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:17 am

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I miss raising pigs if for no other reason (there are plenty) than the bacon. Now I eat turkey bacon my wife buys. It is made from pink slime.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum