Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime

+7
toybarons
lady leghorn
Schipperkesue
bckev
authenticfarm
coopslave
uno
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:11 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Processed food was originally considered a safe alternative to natural food. Back in the day, there was no quality control and unscrupulous people would do unethical things to maximize profit (for example, that bakery bread might also contain chalk, sawdust, alum, plaster, clay and ammonium).

Interesting that we have now gone the other way. People don't trust what is in processed food and blindly trust the 'organic' brand.

27Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:27 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

28Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:31 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

On the use of organics as controls, well I say hey if you think it works then all the more power to you. I know when I was at war with mites, I read many peoples comments of "OH NO! Don't use Frontline to kill mites." Instead I heard the praise of DE. It's ORGANIC don't cha know and if you care about your flock you would use it instead of that evil chemical stuff.
Hate to break it to you but the man made stuff works. I watch the mites die on my birds and smile. Yes, cause my birds are thankful. I've seen a bird that I thought for sure was going to die as he couldn't even stand he was so weaken by those damn mites. Today he is happy, healthy and mite free due to man made chemicals that does the job.

Same with medicated feeds. I use them. I do not apoligize that I do. I love my birds. Same when my birds are sick. I will grab the Apple Cider Vinegar right alongside the Tylan when one of my birds falls ill. Not every chemical man has made is bad. Not every organic cures.

GMOs are the NEW evil that, for me, is my peave. I've had a weight issue all my life. I have heard pretty much every reason from lighter, well meaning people why I am fat. Some is true. Some not so much. Newest reason being thrown around now...GMOs. GMOs are the reason we have a weight crisis in North America. Yes, I am fat because GMOs have made me so. Really?

I am not a Monsanto fan. More due to their business practices than to their GMOs. Cause while I don't think everything GMO is good, I don't think it's all bad either. However, people like myself are not obese because GMOs in our foods made us this way. The weight problem we see today, GMOs may have contributed something to the problem but it isn't the sole reason.

29Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:14 am

FYI, I'm one of those 'organic' nutjobs.

Since putting DE in my coop, Tuesday, in a box for the girls to roll around in, and since I now know the lifecycles of mites, my mite problem is in check and will be gone in a couple weeks.

Here's what organic style care is up against: Time. Humans have this incessant belief that life, like computers, works instantly, and that it should work that way. Well, it doesn't. If you want instant results, organic is not for you. If you expect things to work the way they do in nature (where animals live their entire lives battling mites, pests and other parasites), which is slower and more methodical, then nature's way is the way to go. I'm not ashamed, just like you chemical users. However, I would not allow rectums and eyes to ever be eaten out of an animal while it wanders around doing its thing.

Big ag Organic (ooo, there's a term) is completely different from small, natural farms, just as you chemical dusters are different from big ag. Not every one of us organic nutjobs is savage and uncaring.

As for the GMO thing, this is another issue Jamie Oliver needs to be pounding hard on. I am ANTI-GMO in every single possible way. I see ABSOLUTELY no benefit to crops being engineered, mostly so they, ultimately, can be sprayed with more chemicals. Toybarons, if you use an unbubbled search tool like duckduckgo, you will be able to find all the information concerning GMO and weight problems. It is a real issue. It may not be YOUR issue, but I do know of 2 people, personally, who were put on a 'gmo-fast' that cleansed their system for 30 days, avoiding any and all GM products. It was hard, expensive (yay consumerism), but their health and weight improved dramatically.

Back to jamie I suppose. He's blonde.

30Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:06 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened, I don't consider you to be a nutjob. Lol you're a sane, reasonable human being who recognizes the problems in the "organic" food industry and chooses her own path.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

31Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:08 am

authenticfarm wrote:Sweetened, I don't consider you to be a nutjob. Lol you're a sane, reasonable human being who recognizes the problems in the "organic" food industry and chooses her own path.

Isn't that sweet... you're as delusional about my sanity as I am! Very Happy

I need to coin a new term. I think I'll stick with "Exponential farmer"

Sorry Uno, done hijacking.

32Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:42 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Antibiotics are manmade. Once they were considered a godsend. Now they are the root of all evil. But if you think they are either good or bad, you have neglected to look at the big picture.

An antibiotic in and of itself is a neutral entity. If it saves your child from death, it's good. If it must be fed to chickens to keep them alive because we raise them in inhumane and disgusting ways, they're bad. Humans are great at pointing the finger everywhere but at themselves. It's how WE THE PEOPLE use those antibiotics that renders them good or evil. Or use for good or our use for gain. Good is good and gain very rapidly descends into evil, sadly.

GMO foods. First, I would need to understand with utter clarity exactly what each instance of GMO entailed. Are all GMOs made the same way? Are they splicing together same species genes or different species genes? I am on the fence about GMO products, but I am definitely against the mind set and shark-like predatory tactics of the GMO companies. WHen you have to make laws to aid in your profiting, when you have aborted yourself of all ethical sense of right and wrong as recognized by the majority of humanity, YOU ARE CORRUPTION PERSONIFIED. IT is that part of GMO that makes me reject them. Their corporate filth.

I have really enjoyed the cerebral electricity here!

33Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:49 am

Included in corporate filth piles re: GMO is the fact that they are not required to go through ANY 3rd party testing. In fact, most are patented so they CANNOT be. That's usually the basis of discreditation (apparently not a word) of independent GMO studies: "Well, they violated patent, so how can you be sure blah blah blah."

I love the fact that I can mix together a mash of highly toxic ingredients that tastes and looks like jello, I can say it's good for people because it.... makes them lose weight (due to poisoning, irrelevant), patent it, release my own study (ie I feed it to rats, they get skinny and die) and say the rats got skinny and the USDA goes "UH PROOFED!" with a stamp and it's on the market. Then anyone who tells me the cyanide in it is dangerous, I can reply it's my patent, why were you looking at it, the USDA wouldn't approve it if it wasn't safe, there was studies that showed it was and helped rats lose weight. And they will all nod, look at eachother knowingly, and go "Mmhmm, mmhmmmm, mmhmm!" and continue to buy my product.

By then I will be a bazillionaire and every time someone sues me, I can drag them through the court system for 30 years.

I call that, a win.

34Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:12 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

You have jello that will make me skinny? WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO! Girlfriend, this is not something one keeps under their hat. If you have a skinny recipe, you share that stuff with your peeps!

And here I keep trying to catch a horse worm to make me all ribby and thin. Your skinny jello cocktail sounds so much better. To whom shall I make out the cheque? Very Happy 

35Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:41 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Jello.

Talk about using every part of the animal.  How hungry did our ancestors have to be to say,

"Let's boil hooves and see if they turn into food!"

"Ugh! It taste like whatever cow stepped in!"

"Here. Add berries to make taste better."

36Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:43 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

authenticfarm wrote:Sweetened, I don't consider you to be a nutjob. Lol you're a sane, reasonable human being who recognizes the problems in the "organic" food industry and chooses her own path.

I always say if it works for you, then that's okay. Nothing against that. What may work for you, may not work for me. All I ask in return is that you respect my choices as I do yours.

I'm not saying you specifically Sweetened. Just that there are people who make lifestyle choices where they will ask others to respect them. However, these same people are usually the first that will ridicule others, like myself, who choose to use more modern methods.

But on the mite issue, you nor anyone else will ever convince me DE works at kill mites. Not the Food Grade DE anyway. I agree that the insecticide grade, such as Fossil Flower does very well on pests but that grade. Used to use it to kill roaches ages ago when I lived back East. However, that grade is not approved for use around animals as it can make them sick.

37Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:47 pm

I respect that, I always have.

I don't use food grade, I use FEED grade. It's less processed and I believe maintains its structure better, though scientifically I can't be sure. I've just watched it work so that's good enough for me Smile

38Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:49 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oaky now you have CROSSED a line.

Don't go picking on JELLO!
Jello is a happy juggle wiggle gelatinous chemical food that has brought smiles to many.

Plus Bill Cosby likes it.

Remember J-E-LL-O I love you 

39Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:52 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened wrote:I respect that, I always have.

I don't use food grade, I use FEED grade.  It's less processed and I believe maintains its structure better, though scientifically I can't be sure.  I've just watched it work so that's good enough for me Smile

The chickens have no problem around it then?
See I went with the food grade because everyone told me that was safe around birds. The food grade is too weak. Mites just sat up and laughed back at me, like what is this stuff?

Will have to try the feed grade. I'm for anything that will keep control of the little buggers. Thanks I love you 

40Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:19 pm

There's food grade (16$ a bag), feed grade, which is white in colour and $32 a bag, and then there's pool or chemical grade which will KILL YOU and your birds.

I put the feed grade stuff in a shoe box or something a little bigger, fill it half full and set it in the middle of the coop. Those girls will FIGHT to get in it. They roll around, kick up one heck of a dust storm, go outside and shake out.

41Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:22 pm

toybarons wrote:Oaky now you have CROSSED a line.

Don't go picking on JELLO!
Jello is a happy juggle wiggle gelatinous chemical food that has brought smiles to many.

Plus Bill Cosby likes it.

Remember J-E-LL-O I love you 

In my defense, my weightloss product is jello-like. I call it Hell-O. That way I'm being honest about the product, while creating a marketting ploy. Take this, lose weight, and the opposite (or same) sex will shout "H-E-LL-OOOOOOH good lookin'!"

Uno, you can make that check out to Waketheduckup Industrial.

42Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:17 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

The cheque's in the mail!

43Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:40 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh my Gordon, whatever you do, don't wake the DUCK up!!!!!

44Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:17 am

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Fowler wrote:Jello.

Talk about using every part of the animal.  How hungry did our ancestors have to be to say,

"Let's boil hooves and see if they turn into food!"

"Ugh!  It taste like whatever cow stepped in!"

"Here.  Add berries to make taste better."

Head Cheese made from you guessed it...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

45Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:01 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Now don't you guys go knocking head cheese! The process looks yucky but the end result is great! My German dad made head cheese all the time. Now there is a lesson for Mr Oliver, dissing poor cuts and throw-out pieces of an animal. The traditional food of many cultures is peasant food. It is the food made of the waste products of animals and other cheap, easy to store foods like potatoes and cabbage. It is not the fancy expensive cuts because the majority could not afford that. And for the most part, peasant food is delicious!

Think about how any cultures have a traditional dumpling, a pickled cabbage, and interesting ways of serving 'waste' meat. All cheap and simple to prepare.

46Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:15 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes. Thank you. Exactly. Mr. Oliver is Western White privileged. Many peoples have scraped by on the 'waste' left to them, if they are lucky enough to have it. What is head cheese, really? Mechanically separated meat, the mechanics being boiling water instead of a washing machine and ammonia hydroxide. Different process, same result, difficult to access meat being salvaged for use.

My kid eats head cheese. Won't eat a strawberry but will eat headcheese. Makes no sense to me.

47Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:22 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened wrote:There's food grade (16$ a bag), feed grade, which is white in colour and $32 a bag, and then there's pool or chemical grade which will KILL YOU and your birds.

I put the feed grade stuff in a shoe box or something a little bigger, fill it half full and set it in the middle of the coop.  Those girls will FIGHT to get in it.  They roll around, kick up one heck of a dust storm, go outside and shake out.

I know about the chemical grade. Used to use it in apartment buildings. I once got some of the dust in my eye and had one nasty infection. Thankfully there was a real good doctor who was able to help me and I didn't end up with lost sight or worse.

Definitly will be picking up a back of feed grade and I will let the flock give it a go. Thanks =)

48Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:43 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:Yes. Thank you. Exactly. Mr. Oliver is Western White privileged. Many peoples have  scraped by on the 'waste'  left to them, if they are lucky enough to have it. What is head cheese, really? Mechanically separated meat, the mechanics being boiling water instead of a washing machine and ammonia hydroxide. Different process, same result, difficult to access meat being salvaged for use.

My kid eats head cheese. Won't eat a strawberry but will eat headcheese. Makes no sense to me.

Well, then you should serve her blutwurst! Imagine pieces of tongue and chunks of fat, suspended in congealed blood and stuffed in the large intestine of a cow. It is amazing!

49Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:21 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

OK you guys are getting gross now. No 

50Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Chef Jamie Oliver and pink slime Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:03 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

I miss blood pudding. Growing up in Montreal, mom used to bring home blood pudding once a week. OMG with ketchup, so good. When I came west, in Edmonton, no one knew what the heck blood pudding was. Instead it was blood sausage. It's a little different but I loved that too...with ketchup. Love the smell of it frying on the stove. The spices. Mmmmmmm.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum