Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Growing Celery from the Base

+2
lanaire-ranching
Fowler
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Growing Celery from the Base Empty Growing Celery from the Base Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:08 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I saw a blog a while back about growing celery from the base.  Thought maybe I had seen it here but a search shows that we are celery-less as far as content goes.  Better remedy that.

Maybe I saw it through Pinterest...

I'm not sure that this is the exact blog I saw before but it gives a good picture step by step.  My own celery seems to be doing well.  Just a matter of waiting to see what sort of harvest I get.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Growing Celery from the Base Empty Re: Growing Celery from the Base Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:07 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

done!  found it, washed it, pulled off a couple of the not so looking stalks on the outside, and its now happily sitting in a dish of water (bottled. because well it never ceases to amaze me how iron in water can actually kill a plant.  our well water is good, just sucks for plants and growing things sometimes!)

Thank you Fowler!

3Growing Celery from the Base Empty Re: Growing Celery from the Base Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:15 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have sprouted celery often this way as sort of an indoor garden for the kids but I think it might be bitter and/or go to seed quickly if you did it this way to get a crop, seeing as how it is in its second year?
worth a try though!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

4Growing Celery from the Base Empty Re: Growing Celery from the Base Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:12 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I thought celery was a biennial plant?  Wouldn't growing from the stock save you a year?  IDK sounds interesting and I'll have to give it a try as an experiment.  The geese have lots of greens out now so they won't miss a celery base Smile

I read that you could do this with green onions but I didn't get it propped up enough so they submerged in water and turned to slime oops!  But I have been cutting off my green onions that are growing in the garden and leaving the root in the soil and it works! it grows back!  Small things amaze me I know but I'm a terrible gardener that loves fresh veggies from the garden so anytime something does well I'm amazed Smile

5Growing Celery from the Base Empty Re: Growing Celery from the Base Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:43 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

well carrots are also biennials (they produce seed in second year)but we eat them as annuals, I think celery is the the same way?

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

6Growing Celery from the Base Empty Re: Growing Celery from the Base Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:57 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I grow celery this way all the time. The new growth is not as thick as some of the original stalks, but generally not as bitter either. It goes very well in a Caesar Smile
Onions, ginger, and cabbage will also grow from stumps and chunks....

7Growing Celery from the Base Empty Re: Growing Celery from the Base Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:43 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

8Growing Celery from the Base Empty Re: Growing Celery from the Base Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:33 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh oh did not know Romaine would regrow!  We pulled our big lovely heads out of the garden last year when we went to use them and fed the base to the waterfowl.  So if we cut Romaine off above base instead they will regrow?  That would be fantastic Smile  Did I mention I'm a terrible gardener haha

9Growing Celery from the Base Empty Re: Growing Celery from the Base Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:47 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

10Growing Celery from the Base Empty Re: Growing Celery from the Base Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:44 am

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

IT GREW!!!  holy smokes, it actually is growing!!  I think I might stuff it out in the greenhouse today, and have to water it--- which almost irritates me because everything else is drowning and here I have to water something!! Shocked

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum