Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Growing Tea

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Growing Tea Empty Growing Tea Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:52 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Has anyone grown tea? I bought some Camellia sinensis seeds and am soaking them, but have read different ways to start and grow them. Has anyone on here grown tea? How did you do it?
Thanks

2Growing Tea Empty Re: Growing Tea Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:13 pm

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

Havent grown it, but please share your results!

3Growing Tea Empty Re: Growing Tea Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:56 pm

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Well, I have put some in the sphagnum moss with the orchid, some in the greenhouse buried in fibre pots in the soil, some in the greenhouse in plastic pots and some in a covered tray and the rest in the bathroom in a tray over the baseboard heater.... At least one of these scenarios should be good for the tea seeds?
They can take up to a year to do anything. Will try to remember to post, if something happens -lol

4Growing Tea Empty Re: Growing Tea Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:18 pm

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

A year! They certainly didnt mention that in the seed catalouge I was looking at! Well...at least you've got all the bases covered!

5Growing Tea Empty Re: Growing Tea Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:12 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Yes, up to a year.
I'm hoping some of them start in the first 6 weeks, but one place did say they could need cold stratification and a year to germinate. In the greenhouse they should get the heat and cold cycles needed for germination, no matter how long it takes.
With 100 seeds, at least one or two should grow! Apparently they have a low germination rate.

6Growing Tea Empty Re: Growing Tea Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:03 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

can't wait (well, will have to!) to hear how they go. hope it is a flavour you like. we have some very old (the seeds are not old but the strain is) tobacco seeds from Salt Spring Island that I got because the novelty was curious to me (and I occasionally smoke a pipe, once in a blue moon when the coyotes are howling and I have a nice glass of red wine in hand). I know that once you have the leaves there is a whole lot of curing to go on. Is it the same with tea?

7Growing Tea Empty Re: Growing Tea Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:19 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Will definitely know more IF the seeds germinate, and the plants get to the 3 year old mark for harvesting. Not a project for the impatient -lol
From the same plant, you can process for green, white, oolong and black tea. Since I am not at that point yet, I will wait until I am ready to harvest to take the time to understand the differences in the picking and processing.
We have a few varieties of tobacco. Every time I grow some, hubby quits and I ignore curing the plants. Then he starts up again. Hmmm, maybe I should always have some growing....
The one variety is a simple one to dry, but the others require a bit more processing, If we ever grow and cure some, I'll let you know if any are good.
Otherwise, the plants can be used to make an insecticidal spray....
I hear they grow other things out there that people enjoy in their pipes. Are you sure it is tobacco?

8Growing Tea Empty Re: Growing Tea Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:43 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

auntieevil wrote:Will definitely know more IF the seeds germinate, and the plants get to the 3 year old mark for harvesting. Not a project for the impatient -lol
From the same plant, you can process for green, white, oolong and black tea. Since I am not at that point yet, I will wait until I am ready to harvest to take the time to understand the differences in the picking and processing.
We have a few varieties of tobacco. Every time I grow some, hubby quits and I ignore curing the plants. Then he starts up again. Hmmm, maybe I should always have some growing....
The one variety is a simple one to dry, but the others require a bit more processing, If we ever grow and cure some, I'll let you know if any are good.
Otherwise, the plants can be used to make an insecticidal spray....
I hear they grow other things out there that people enjoy in their pipes. Are you sure it is tobacco?

funny funny Aunty, yes I'm sure it is tobacco  Razz . I am not a fan of even the smell of the other stuff but for sure, it is in abundance in this part of the world. cray-cray. now there are legal operations and it is hard to avoid becoming aware of them when you drive along the road at times. I understand that that particular plant offers outrageous healing properties if you juice it. Rather than knocking brain cells out it is a major healer. If I can't stand the smell I dare say I'd gag on the juice!

Three years! that's like waiting for the first fruit on your fruit trees!!! yes, apparently in this life I am working on patience. everything is teaching me that right now. sensei winter is currently number one teacher. snow on snow off. broke tractor where the plow attaches, been shovelling by hand. neighbor's plow broke so between us we'll get it sorted out :-). that's today's plan. waiting for it to warm up.

Very interesting how you get different types of tea - is that from different parts of the plant or how long you leave it until harvest? My fav tea is earl grey but not all the family like it. so I have to have it some times and sometimes I'll put one earl grey bag in with the regular black tea to make a less strong flavour, if I don't over cook them on it they handle it ok. Would love one right now, run out!

9Growing Tea Empty Re: Growing Tea Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:03 pm

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

LOL Never knew that about juicing the stuff. Here I thought kale was good.
Hope you get your snow plow fixed soon. We have a little snow thrower, and it makes life much easier.
Hand digging -ugh! Hope the boys help...
Earl Grey is a bit strong for my taste. I love oolong and green.
Hopefully the wait is worth it Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum