Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

how long are eggs viable

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1how long are eggs viable Empty how long are eggs viable Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:25 pm

I purchased some eggs on the weekend planning to put them under my broody hens. Unfortunately, I mistakenly broke their broodiness (I don't know how else to say that!!). I'm hoping they'll quickly go broody again but I'm worried that my eggs will not be any good. How long are the eggs viable after they've been laid??

2how long are eggs viable Empty Re: how long are eggs viable Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:31 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Put that same hen in a small confined area like a pail (3 gallon type used for fencing staples) and cover it with a sheet of cardboard or something that air can get in and still keep it dark and of course put the eggs under her and do this in the evening when it is dark. So get the pail and shavings or straw ready first and then go take her off of the roost and do this in the dark and put her on the eggs and you may be surprised how quickly she will change her mind about being broody. Good luck.

3how long are eggs viable Empty Re: how long are eggs viable Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:33 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Did you buy those eggs from me up in Red Deer? Do you live close to me.

4how long are eggs viable Empty Re: how long are eggs viable Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:09 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I hope your broody gets back to business asap! Do you have an incubator if she doesn’t pan out?

As for egg viability, I believe the general consensus is fertility starts to drop after 7-10 days. BUT I’ve heard (and read) amazing stories of people hatching 4, 6, even 8 week old eggs successfully. Some of which were stored in the refrigerator! I plan to try incubating some EE eggs that will be just over 2 weeks by the time they go in. So don’t ever give up. sunny Good luck!

5how long are eggs viable Empty how long are eggs viable Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:37 am

Hi Dan,
I did get the eggs from you! Glad you answered on here. I love the pail and straw idea. I'm going to do that for sure tonight. I've only got the marana eggs and ameracauna eggs left. I put two barnevelder eggs in the nest hoping mama would sit on them. The next day I went out there and they were gone!! The magpies had stolen them. I'm going to put up netting today to keep the unwanted birds out. I've been turning the carton like you suggested so do you think it's possible the eggs are still ok?
I wish I did live close to you but I'm about 1/2 hour out of Edmonton.
I got some quails from that young boy next to you and I can't remember what kind they are. Do you know?

6how long are eggs viable Empty Re: how long are eggs viable Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:29 am

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am sorry but I don't know what kind of Quail they are but he goes by the forum name of Princesandwich. Maybe if he reads this he will respond. His name is Jared. If you lived closer I would let you borrow a broody hen because I have them coming out of my ying yang.

7how long are eggs viable Empty how long are eggs viable Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:27 pm

I've taken your advice Dan and put a hen on the eggs and put a cover over her. She sure wasn't happy and this morning she was just standing there when I squeezed in some food and water. I'll let you know what happens!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum