Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are long eggs less fertile?

+3
lazyfarmer
ipf
Schipperkesue
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Are long eggs less fertile? Empty Are long eggs less fertile? Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:50 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Last year when I was hatching I had a Houdan (or maybe more than one) who laid a long egg. Now Houdans lay a surprisingly long, large egg to begin with, but these eggs were extraordinarily long. The were also infertile.

Does this jive with other people's findings? Are longer eggs less fertile? I wonder because I have an Ameraucana that lays very long eggs right now.

2Are long eggs less fertile? Empty Re: Are long eggs less fertile? Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:07 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

If we accept that egg shape is genetically controlled (which I believe it is), then I would expect there to be little or no effect of egg shape on hatching. This is because, if long eggs were less likely to hatch, there would be very strong natural selection (in evolutionary terms) against long eggs, and the trait would not persist.
Having said that, it does seem that it moght be more difficult for a chick to manoeuvre in a long skiny egg. . . so maybe at the extremes, yes it does, but natural selection would soon rein in that tendency.

3Are long eggs less fertile? Empty Re: Are long eggs less fertile? Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:27 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hmm, if it were just one hen laying those eggs, and I believe it was, perhaps that she was either not attractive to the roo and was never bred, or was infertile herself. Could it also be that the mechanism that made her lay long thin eggs also prevented fertility?

4Are long eggs less fertile? Empty Re: Are long eggs less fertile? Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:20 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Can't think of any mechanism that would work that way. . . ?
Were they unfertilised, or just didn't hatch? Did you look at some of her eggs to see if there was that "fertilisation donut" present on the yolk?

5Are long eggs less fertile? Empty Re: Are long eggs less fertile? Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

No, didn't look. I will if it happens again this year, though.

6Are long eggs less fertile? Empty Re: Are long eggs less fertile? Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:53 pm

lazyfarmer

I set long eggs last year and they hatched the same as all the rest. No problems with the chicks getting out.

7Are long eggs less fertile? Empty Re: Are long eggs less fertile? Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:37 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

My Barnevelders used to lay long, pointy eggs. Never a problem with fertility. I think your pointy egg girl was just not very attractive to your rooster boy! Very Happy

8Are long eggs less fertile? Empty Re: Are long eggs less fertile? Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:55 pm

chickencrazygirl

chickencrazygirl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sue I think it was lack of sex that your chicken was having Smile not the shape of egg

http://www.wovenndreamscanada.com

9Are long eggs less fertile? Empty Re: Are long eggs less fertile? Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:37 pm

This is very interesting. I hope I'm not highjacking the post, but I have 2 hens (not sure which) who have laid massive, long eggs since they started laying and each and every one of those has been a double yolker. I was wondering the fertility and egg hatch rates on those as well. How common is that in elongated eggs?

10Are long eggs less fertile? Empty Re: Are long eggs less fertile? Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:03 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

In my own experience, the torpedo eggs had fine fertility but a lowered hatch rate.

11Are long eggs less fertile? Empty Re: Are long eggs less fertile? Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:07 pm

Butterboy

Butterboy

I remember reading somewhere that torpedo shaped eggs come from fat hens.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum