Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

good news after so much trouble

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1good news after so much trouble Empty good news after so much trouble Thu May 30, 2013 10:59 am

niglefritz

After losing a whole bunch of our ducks to a very HUNGRY fox (got traps now), we were able to find a local generous soul who is going to give us an old shed in good shape to house them. Right now they are in a fortified bale shelter and another temporary housing thing we put together (the 2 drakes left fight). We were also fortunate enough to find an old aluminum greenhouse frame for very little to help us be able to put out a run/yard for our remaining ducks. It all comes home tomorrow evening. Now, all we have to do is get the netting. Very Happy What do you suggest for hole size? I hear 2" is too large, and I want it to be small enough to keep guineas in anyway, as we will be dividing the greenhouse frame into two for both types of birds.

It is going to be nice to not to have to worry about if that fox is coming and not being able to save our birds.

We are concerned that he will try to come get our chickens next, so we will be putting wire on the floor of our chicken ark...unless someone here has another solution that works with an ark. The ground is not fully flat and as you know, foxes can dig, so they are not completely safe. We do put them in for the night, though, so that helps. In the day, however, we wonder.

To add to all of this, this Sunday, we get our new LB rooster and a new (just over/under) 1 yo Norwegian Elkhound. She is purebred, but has a couple issues...jumping and nipping, which we are confident that we can break. We have dealt with the jumping thing successfully in the past.

AND I got a spinning wheel that works for a good price. Now we need to fix it up a little, and then find some wool, but I am feeling blessed right now. I only hope the feeling continues for a while... cheers

2good news after so much trouble Empty Re: good news after so much trouble Thu May 30, 2013 11:06 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't think netting will work to keep out a fox - you need strong wire. 2" spacing should keep out a fox just fine, but won't stop something like a weasel.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

3good news after so much trouble Empty Re: good news after so much trouble Thu May 30, 2013 11:49 am

niglefritz

authenticfarm wrote:I don't think netting will work to keep out a fox - you need strong wire. 2" spacing should keep out a fox just fine, but won't stop something like a weasel.

Will the netting work over the top, or will we have to put solid wire over the top as well? The frame of the greenhouse is 6.5' high and I've heard foxes can easily climb 5'. The ducks fly well and so do the guineas, so we need something overhead and not just surrounding. I think that guineas also need smaller than 2", isn't that right?

I am not worried about weasels. The dog takes care of those...and mink...just this spring before it got to the birds. She had no cuts/bites on her from killing it. It is just the sly fox that she has issues with. Racoons I am not too worried about either...especially since we will have 2 dogs soon.

4good news after so much trouble Empty Re: good news after so much trouble Thu May 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

[q but I am feeling blessed right now. I only hope the feeling continues for a while... cheers [/quote]

NIce to hear things are working for you.
Geri

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum