Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Egg umbilical/placenta looking thingie still attached

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Giddyup

Giddyup

It's all dried out by all appearances. I let it be hoping it would just come off in the bator (not) and then brooder (not). Duckling is very rambunctious with no cause for concern except this cord hasn't broken off.
I'm scared to snip it but looks like it might need to be so that it doesn't tear making it worse.
Reminds me of my baby's umbilical stump. Darn thing stayed on for 3 weeks. Suspect

What are the votes? Snip or not? Sorry it's as clear a pic as it would let me get.

Egg umbilical/placenta looking thingie still attached Eggs

The last duckling also has what seems to be a "large" belly button but I've never examined such a wet baby (had to help it out). No yolk, just a big "button", lol

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

hmm thats tough, I think it must be the yolk sac that wasn't fully absorbed.
Not sure how it will end up, I have not had good luck with ones that don't fully absorb their yolk...

It may be a problem because the others may pick at it..maybe if you have it seperate it could fall off in its own time?

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I had a chick like that just recently, and while the remnants of the sac seemed to fall off, it was plagued with other problems. It chirped constantly, got poopy butt and seemed to be in constant distress. After a few days I finally put it down. Yours may be different but I decided not to help them out of the shell in the future.
Good luck with your chick I hope it fairs better than mine did.

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would snip it off if it is dried out, shouldnt cause any problems.
I do agree that if they do not absorb all their yolks they do seem to have issues but if he seems happy I would snip and see how he makes out.
The one with the larger navel should dry up and shrink as it dries off too.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum