Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

umbilical hernia

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1umbilical hernia Empty umbilical hernia Tue May 08, 2012 7:49 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

This concerns the small horse who is now 1 year old and has had an umbilical hernia since birth.

At first, the 'split' in the belly was about two finger tips wide. Consulted vet who advised a wait and see approach, sometimes these things close up on their own.

I believe this is what's happening, the width of the belly split is no longer two fingertips wide, has gotten smaller.

However, there is a little 'pocket' of skin hanging below the split and it feels like there is stuff in it. I cannot determine if this is a loop of intestine or not. I poke and shove and do not get a pain reaction. Vet has advised to keep tucking any protruding bits back into the belly split. Which I keep doing. But as the split gets smaller, the contents of the 'pouch' feel denser. I am now worried that the hernia will heal up with some important bit of the horse still hanging out!

What should a hernia feel like? Is there liquid in the bump? Is it intestine? Do I really have to have the vet ding me $150 to say, 'ignore it, everything is fine?' OR do I call the vet who will say, 'good grief you horse's entire kidney is in this little pouch!'

If anyone has hernia experience or wisdom to share, I am all ears.

2umbilical hernia Empty Re: umbilical hernia Tue May 08, 2012 9:00 pm

Could it be a keloid? I'm not sure if that's the correct spelling.

It's essentially scarred scar tissue, from my understanding. I learned about them the hard way after having some freckles removed for testing; I'm apparently allergic to dissolving stitches and so my body rejected them and the wounds healed oddly. One of them sounds very much like your description.

It's just annoying, but as far as I know the only thing to do with them is to lance them off and let them heal on their own.

Maybe?

3umbilical hernia Empty Re: umbilical hernia Tue May 08, 2012 9:09 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

No SweetEnd, this is different. I know the scar tissue you talk about. This is more like a balloon with 3 tbsps of water. You can squeeze it and the water diappears. Let go and it comes back. This is not hard, it is squishy.

4umbilical hernia Empty Re: umbilical hernia Tue May 08, 2012 9:29 pm

Mm, sorry. Wish I could have been more help.

Sweetened like with sugar, not like death Smile

5umbilical hernia Empty Re: umbilical hernia Tue May 08, 2012 11:08 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yeah, I realize I have to work on your name. I read it the wrong way ALL the time!

6umbilical hernia Empty Re: umbilical hernia Tue May 08, 2012 11:17 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:Yeah, I realize I have to work on your name. I read it the wrong way ALL the time!

Ahem!

7umbilical hernia Empty Re: umbilical hernia Wed May 09, 2012 12:40 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

What's that you say, SoScripturalSue, was that "Amen"? I hear you sister! Now can we get back on the belly button issue?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum