Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

not something I wanted to hear

+4
Schipperkesue
Fowler
TruNorth
Rasilon
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1not something I wanted to hear Empty not something I wanted to hear Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:20 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Just got off the phone with the man I bought my pigeons food from. He
was supposed to email me an ingredience list so i got it over the
phone. We got to talking about GMO and GEO foods and he mentioned
that the peaches and cream corn we buy in the store is owned by
Navardis, a pharmesutical company in europe. It has been modified so
the corn borers don't recognize it as corn and don't do damage to the
crops. Not something I wanted to hear. No wonder they look so perfect
in the store.
Geri

2not something I wanted to hear Empty Re: not something I wanted to hear Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:15 pm

TruNorth

It's not true. Montsanto has produced a GE variety of sweet corn for commercial production, and I can't find the name of it, but I am sure that they cannot use an established name like Peaches 'n' Cream for their new product. Novartis has not produced any GE sweet corn, but if they did, the same would apply to them. They'd have to give it a new name. So plant your own sweet corn from your usual seed sources, and rest assured that they are not GE.

http://www.TrueNorthFarm.ca

3not something I wanted to hear Empty Re: not something I wanted to hear Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:47 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

TruNorth wrote:It's not true. Montsanto has produced a GE variety of
sweet corn for commercial production, and I can't find the name of it,
but I am sure that they cannot use an established name like Peaches 'n'
Cream for their new product. Novartis has not produced any GE sweet
corn, but if they did, the same would apply to them. They'd have to
give it a new name. So plant your own sweet corn from your usual seed
sources, and rest assured that they are not GE.

Well not sure how it works but that is what I was told . Maybe I
misunderstood but that what i thought I heard . I plan on buying from a
heritage seed house .

4not something I wanted to hear Empty Re: not something I wanted to hear Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:12 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm certain peaches and cream has been around since I was a kid (in the days before gmo's were even possible). I think it would be classified as a hybrid.

Unless they have developed a new strain and given it the same name.

5not something I wanted to hear Empty Re: not something I wanted to hear Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:48 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

This is a pet peeve of mine so please be patient and let me rant!

There is so much anti-GMO scare information out there that it is hard to know what to believe. The truths are mixed with the half truths which also have blatant outright lies mixed in. On top of this the pro- GMO info is often written in such a an inflammatory, biased, unscientific, one sided way. It makes me immediately suspicious when the author of a "scientific" piece of writing so obviously wants you to be upset and outraged. The final blow is that these unscientific claims outnumber the good science by 20 to 1 on the internet and even if you can find an objective report they are often written in university level language and not very accessible to the common man.

So there you go. Fire away.

6not something I wanted to hear Empty Re: not something I wanted to hear Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:34 am

TruNorth

I totally agree, Sue. There's a lot to be worried about with GMOs, but the rumours and anti-GE hype have been so idiotic that it is almost equally annoying. As has been a lot of the 'environmental' stuff. These issues are complicated enough as it is -- I like to stick to facts.

After I posted last night it occurred to me that while corn growers might sell their GE product to Safeway, Walmart, etc. under its real name, the stores can put a sign over the bin with whatever they want. So it's possible that the grocery stores are selling GE sweet corn as "Peaches 'n' Cream"... it's an offense (re truth in labeling) but I'll bet no one is ever caught.

BTW, the genetic modification in the sweet corn that has been engineered is the insertion of the Bt gene, which has it's effect by killing caterpillars who eat the leaves. All of the plant's cells will produce Bt, which is why there is a lot of concern about humans eating it and possibly having gut problems, but in terms of affecting the appearance of what you see in the store, you would not be able to see any the difference between ears of GE corn and non-GE corn.

7not something I wanted to hear Empty Re: not something I wanted to hear Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:35 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

lot depends on where you get the Peaches and cream corn from
If it is a store it is more than so a Roundup ready brand
From a farmers market it would be different as the seed would not be round up ready corn.

And they do have a bi color Corn
here are a couple of them
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here is Monsanto site on corn

What we plant or buy at Farmers markets I would say is this
Peaches and Cream - Breeder: O. and G. Vendor: Burgess Seed and Plant Company. Parentage: O. and G. inbred lines. Characteristics: F1 hybrid, extra early, yellow and white kernels, tender, productive, exceptional eating qualities. 1967

8not something I wanted to hear Empty Re: not something I wanted to hear Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:42 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

appway wrote:lot depends on where you get the Peaches and cream corn from
If it is a store it is more than so a Roundup ready brand
From a farmers market it would be different as the seed would not be round up ready corn.

And they do have a bi color Corn
here are a couple of them

Here is Monsanto site on corn

What we plant or buy at Farmers markets I would say is this
Peaches
and Cream - Breeder: O. and G. Vendor: Burgess Seed and Plant Company.
Parentage: O. and G. inbred lines. Characteristics: F1 hybrid, extra
early, yellow and white kernels, tender, productive, exceptional eating
qualities. 1967

I will call him back and ask him what he was talking about. It could be
he meant a bicolored corn and used the name peaches and cream. I know
iread an article about mst corn being gmo but thats all I can reacall
so maybe he has the same problem.It just really bothers me that things
are going this way. We are being fed these gmos and they don't evenhave
to tell us they are gmo's.
Geri

9not something I wanted to hear Empty Re: not something I wanted to hear Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:37 pm

foal0069

Okay I wasn't going to say anything on this subject as people tend to get their backs up, but I was at a beef symposium in January and this was how one of the scientists at the symposium put it. You want a different type of chicken, (not picking on anyone here so please don't take this the wrong way, because I don't believe most of the hype of GMO) like TripleJ is doing with her olive eggers, this is called GMO as you are changing the genetics to get something different. That was put in farmer terms for us dumb farmers Laughing except it was put in a beef breeds for us.
JMO.
Thanks, Holly

10not something I wanted to hear Empty Re: not something I wanted to hear Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:48 pm

TruNorth

foal0069 wrote:Okay I wasn't going to say anything on this subject as people tend to get their backs up, but I was at a beef symposium in January and this was how one of the scientists at the symposium put it. You want a different type of chicken, (not picking on anyone here so please don't take this the wrong way, because I don't believe most of the hype of GMO) like TripleJ is doing with her olive eggers, this is called GMO as you are changing the genetics to get something different. That was put in farmer terms for us dumb farmers Laughing except it was put in a beef breeds for us.
JMO.
Thanks, Holly

'GMO' only applies to gene manipulations that have to be done in a laboratory, taking a gene from one species and inserting it in a different species. Breeding Olive Eggers is just breeding -- choosing combinations within a species. I hope you misunderstood that scientist at the symposium, because if he really said that it would mean that he didn't know what he was talking about... and was pretty arrogant as well!

Don't tell me this was in the context of discussing GE cattle... cyclops

11not something I wanted to hear Empty Re: not something I wanted to hear Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:07 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Conventional breeding is actually pretty different from GM technology. Conventional breeding involves taking a gene that's already there in the population, and selecting for it, so its frequency increases, and and it is increasingly expressed.

GM technology means that a gene is snipped out of its own genome and then inserted into another organism's genome. It a far (and I mean REALLY far) more agressive and unpredictable process than conventianal breeding.

12not something I wanted to hear Empty Re: not something I wanted to hear Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:35 pm

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

GM foods are bad, mmm k?

Don't assume they are safe just because someone with an axe to grind says so. Do your own research. There are lots of research papers on the net from several different countries.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

13not something I wanted to hear Empty Re: not something I wanted to hear Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:58 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

foal0069 wrote:Okay I wasn't going to say anything on this subject
as people tend to get their backs up, but I was at a beef symposium in
January and this was how one of the scientists at the symposium put it.
You want a different type of chicken, (not picking on anyone here so
please don't take this the wrong way, because I don't believe most of
the hype of GMO) like TripleJ is doing with her olive eggers, this is
called GMO as you are changing the genetics to get something different.
That was put in farmer terms for us dumb farmers Laughing except it was put in a beef breeds for us.
JMO.
Thanks, Holly

What they were talking about in regard to the cattle is hybridizing.
That means you breed within the same species. Breeding Black Angus to
Holstein still gives you a cow. Genetically engineered
species uses an alien gene, let say a cow gene and a corn gene (just an
example). Its using a totally different species genes in the making of
the modified species. West coast seeds has a very good description in
their catalogue. I went to their website but could not find it . I
don't type well enough to copy it lolol. In the case of corn they
ad an alien gene so the corn borer doesn't recognise the corn as corn.

OK I found it.... go here.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
and under hybrid it explains pretty much what i typed . Also check GEO and GMO

Geri

14not something I wanted to hear Empty Re: not something I wanted to hear Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:20 am

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I don't understand why the gov't stance on GMO's is 'innocent until proven guilty'. When it comes to foods we are feeding our children, it really should be 'guilty until proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to be innocent'! I'll stick to conventional foods, thank you very much. I know its not going to hurt me in and of itself. Only the chemicals added to it can harm me, and I know how to avoid those for the most part.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum