Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My new breeding cages.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My new breeding cages. Empty My new breeding cages. Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:43 pm

Perryschofield

Perryschofield
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hi

My fiend Shawn is a cabinet maker and works at the local cabinet building shop. He often buys from them the damage sheets of material that come in. Him and I set down this summer to design some new breeding cages for pairs and trios. The cages are large enough to hold a pair of large birds like my big Wyandottes or a trio of normal size standards. They are great for trios or quads of bantams. So far he has made 4 units for me (each is 3 units tall = 12 cages). He has also made 4 units for himself. Being only 5 foot 8 inches tall (he is 6 feet +) the top unit is a little tall for me. I use a two step stepladder to handle it. Each box is wired to use one of those 13 watt energy saver bulbs. They are all on a timer for 18 hours a day. I forgot to take the measurements today. I will take them tomorrow and add them to this post tomorrow. Each unit has two doors so the whole front of the unit opens up for easy cleaning. One door is covered with wire, the other is solid to give the birds some privacy.

The first picture is of the units close up so you can see in.

My new breeding cages. P1020922

The second picture is of all four units.

My new breeding cages. P1020925

The top gives me a great place to store my outside summer 3 & 5 gallon waters.

I will take pictures of the inside of one tomorrow and get the unit measurements and post them.

Perry

http://www.pandlgamebirds.ca

2My new breeding cages. Empty Re: My new breeding cages. Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:46 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Those are very handsome! I have a carpenter friend with spare time - measurements would be great!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

3My new breeding cages. Empty Re: My new breeding cages. Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:16 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wow! That is my dream come true...cupboards full of chickens!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

4My new breeding cages. Empty Re: My new breeding cages. Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:26 am

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh Wow! Very, very nice! Now you can send Shawn to build me some. Laughing

5My new breeding cages. Empty Re: My new breeding cages. Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:39 pm

Perryschofield

Perryschofield
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hi

Several people asked me for the dimensions of the cages. I am an old timer so they are in inches.

Outside Dimensions:

8 feet tall. Sides are 31 inches (easy to reach to back for Eggs). Front is 36 inches.

Inside Dimensions:

Each compartment is 31.5 inches tall. The front opening is 34.5 inches across. It is 29.5 inches to back wall. Bottoms are solid.

Here are a few more pictures.

Outside view of compartment with Cornish in it.

My new breeding cages. P1020971

A look inside. I have a young Cornish Bantam roo with 4 young pullets. I have 4 because I can't decide which 2 or 3 to keep with him. They have been in there a month with no problems, no feather picking, etc. I will cut it down to a trio or quad. Just the pullets all look so good. This is one of the pens I tried Peat Moss in. Like the Peat Moss but will have to put in an inside board 4 or 5 inches tall to keep it from falling out every time I open the door. Sorry, pen need cleaning (i do it every 3rd or 4th week) but with the operation on my eye last Friday it missed being done and will have to go another week or 2 before I will be allowed to do it.

My new breeding cages. P1020972

http://www.pandlgamebirds.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum