Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anyone tried breeding . . .

+9
CynthiaM
coopslave
lazyfarmer
Hackmatack Ridge Farm
barryk
Cathyjk
BriarwoodPoultry
Fowler
harrop'shens
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Anyone tried breeding . . . Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:02 am

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

Standard Purebred Cornish with a Chantecler? I am thinking ahead to 2012. I am getting hatching eggs from these two breeds with the intention of breeding my own meat bird flock (and of course breeding some awesome new birds). Crazy I know to be thinking a whole year ahead.

What would you think would be a better combination:

Cornish roo X Chantie hen

Chantie roo X Cornish hen

2Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:56 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Probably get more eggs from the Chanti hen.

In the days before hybrids, the meat producers used to cross cornish onto various birds. Dorking, Orpington, Plymouth Rocks. The Cornish was always the roo because they got more eggs (and thus more chicks) that way.

3Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:02 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sorry I don't have any ideas for you but it sounds great! I am always intrigued by people making their own meat birds! We have always lost chicks when buying meat bird chicks, but have yet to lose a heritage chick.

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

4Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:15 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I always wanted to try crossing a cornish roo onto Naked Neck hens. Less plucking that way.

5Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:12 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have had cornish crossed with Marans and Rhode Island Red, can't say I was very impressed. BUT I don't have brilliant white cornish either....

6Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:25 pm

barryk

When I seen the title just had to look lol

http://www.abnorthexotics.com

7Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:37 pm

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

barryk wrote:When I seen the title just had to look lol

hahahahahha!

We are really interested in being self sufficient with our flock. The other meat breed that we are very interested in trying out is TruNorth's Mistral Gris. I can't wait until she sells chicks and hatching eggs!

Thanks Fowler, I hadn't thought about egg production. You're right that we will get more eggs from the Chantie girls. I love the idea of less plucking - I can't look at the Naked Necks without giggling lol!

8Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:42 pm

Hackmatack Ridge Farm

Hackmatack Ridge Farm

You took the words right out of my mouth. This year I have Partridge Chantie chicks and a Dark Cornish rooster. so this fall I was going to cross the two for meat birds. I also have Black Penedesenca chicks that I am also going to try crossing to the Cornish roo. What cross do you guys think will make the better meat bird?

http://hackmatackridgefarm.webs.com/

9Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:29 pm

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

Hackmatack Ridge, that is so neat. I am getting White Cornish and crossing with White Chanties. It will be fun to compare next year!

10Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:32 pm

Hackmatack Ridge Farm

Hackmatack Ridge Farm

Yeah it will be cool to compare your white chantie X white cornish to my partridge chantie X dark cornish. I must remember this topic when I start hatching them.

http://hackmatackridgefarm.webs.com/

11Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:37 pm

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

We should take pictures too. Too bad we're on opposite sides of the country!

12Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:14 pm

lazyfarmer

Did anyone do these crosses and how did they turn out?

13Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:44 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is an interesting idea. I would imagine you would need a Chantecler rooster over a Cornish hen unless the Cornish rooster was a little more long legged than the Standard ones are. Them short, stumpy, broad breasted, thick legged boys may have a tough time treading a Chant hen!! Laughing

I would love an update on this as well.

14Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:46 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh ya, Harrop's Hens doesn't come on here very much anymore. Miss her...wouldn't it be interesting to see what did happen....maybe I'll email her and tell her to come here and update, smiling that big smile. Have wonderful days, CynthiaM.

15Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:29 am

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am planning to try a number of crosses with my dark cornish this year. I will go with white wyandottess, light brahma, partridge and silver rocks, turkens, australorps and buff orpingtons and anything else that wants to fly into the coop.

16Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:17 pm

R. Roo

Last edited by R. Roo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

17Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:28 pm

This year we are going to be breeding our one dark cornish hen back to our chanty rooster. Our Dark Cornish rooster didn't survive the butt kicking he received as retaliation from said Chanty Rooster, so unfortunately, that's not an option.

We chose dark cornish as it was a foundation breed. I think it may bring some surprising traits out of the gene pool, but we're hoping to add a little more bulk back to the stock (which ours are pretty nice and thick, nevermind) as well as some better feathering on the cornish to help them with our cold climate.

Compare notes as we go?

18Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:36 pm

tung koon paak

tung koon paak

are the cornish you are using heavier then the other variety in the cross
I haven't had a hatchery cornish weigh more then my chanties

19Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:14 pm

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

Well, I never got around to doing the breeding I had planned on. I lost my beautiful big Cornish Roo Winston to a massive heart failure last Spring. I sent him away to Abbotsford for testing and the Poultry vet said she had never seen such an explosive heart attack. Apparently his genetics got the better of him. Then some of my own health issues kicked in and the fun breeding project took a back seat. Sigh. Won't be happening anytime soon this year either.
Can't wait to read about others experiences. Gives me something to look forward to!
Happy Farming!
Jen
PS - Thanks Cynthia, nice to know I was missed flower I have missed being here and laughing Laughing

20Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:53 am

R. Roo

Last edited by R. Roo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

21Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:57 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

harrop'shens wrote:
PS - Thanks Cynthia, nice to know I was missed flower I have missed being here and laughing Laughing

Jen, you have been missed, and I know there are a few more that have missed your sunshine!! It will be back, we know that all for surely....

Now, I can't wait, Roo, especially, to see what the buckeye cross dark cornish will bring. I can bet my bottom dollar that will be one CHUNKY and huge bird!! Massive breast and legs!! Oh gads, how exciting. You gotta get pictures to us when this occurrence occurs Wink . Especially pictures of the chicks, what glories!! Picture the legs, and seems to me that dark cornish have yellow shanks (too lazy to actually go and look), but that would bring nice yellow to the buckeye, which are to have yellow legs. Oooooh....those two combinations, beautiful dark mahogany colours. Stumpy buckeyes,oh la, lah, all with the pea comb (hmmmm....do cornish have pea comb? again, too lazy to go and look up). Excellent cold weather birds (was going to type sweather, must have been a combo of sweater and weather Razz Embarassed ). Well pea comb is dominant to single, so should have all pea comb I guess, or mostly all. Oooooh....I still think of the Malay breed, now that is one swanky breed, would make a beautiful cross with buckeye. Gads, I love buckeyes. Still am struck on one day to get the breed back home. Can you tell that I am excited about the cross occurring? Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

22Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:00 am

R. Roo

Last edited by R. Roo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

23Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:51 am

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

mail it to me R.roo and i cant post it for you

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

24Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:17 am

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

R.roo"s Mahogany chantecler, 3/4 buckeye F2-BC1
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

25Anyone tried breeding . . . Empty Re: Anyone tried breeding . . . Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:36 am

R. Roo

Last edited by R. Roo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum