Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Oh my Gordon, what is with the weather???

+6
appway
heda gobbler
Schipperkesue
Hillbilly
Hidden River
coopslave
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, we had LOTS of snow (for this time of year anyways) but what is with the COLD!?
We went down to -17C last night and I was a bit unprepared, to say the least. No heavy blankets on the horses and the dogs didn't have as much straw as they should have. Good thing I put a heat lamp in with the roosters, on a whim, last night as the 2 single combs in there would be frozen I would think. I will have to go and check on them this morning when I am brave enough to get out there. Rolling Eyes
Nice cold morning to have to dig out horse rugs and get them changed.....sigh.....have I said how much I hate winter? And it isn't really even winter yet. Shocked

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

-25 here this morning!
We have about a foot of snow, but for the most part it has stopped snowing, just too darn cold out to snow..
Havent made it out yet today, but hoping everyone is warm. Had a heat lamp on in the main coop to thaw their water, so that will help with the cold today I hope.
Have to go check our pet lamb, she was cold last night at -19 can't imagine how she is feeling today. Might have to buy her a doggy jacket, LOL.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'm glad we don't live there. My wife would have every animal in jackets! She came home yesterday with 2 new ones for our newest rescue dog, and we've only just hit zero!

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

We got it really cold last night tool. Brought in the pregnant dog and the toy dog and thy will be in for a while. The bulb stopped working in the Cochin house so I know I am looking at some frozen combs. Apparently it is going to warm up over the next couple days though.

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ugh. That's early for that cold! We were supposed to be -16 and -18 the last two nights but it looks as though it only made -10C, which is really a different world, isn't it? We sometimes benefit from being closer to the coast, but it only takes a puff of north wind to bring us right into the arctic.

Hope it warms up for the rest of you soon!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

we had a lot of weather warnings for LOT"S of snow ! but we got about two to three inchs max ? Getting fed up with all the miss leading info from The weather stations ! Looks like a mild winter after all ?

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Heda, I agree with you. Some how -10C is ok but anything below that and I suffer. Must be my threshold of something. Not saying I like -10C, just when it is colder than that is seems sooooo cold to me.
Still -12C here. All animals seem fine and the horses weren't to bad, but are snuggley now. Hopefully the sun comes out today and warms us up a bit. They are not calling for much cold the next few days but I will believe it when I see it!! Laughing

Prairie Dog isn't it a bit early to make that statement? It's 6 weeks til official winter yet.

Pretty cold here for the time of year. Caught me with my pants down, somewhat. Scrambling to find working trough heaters. Not putting lights out but the coops still need cleaning and I need to get more organized!

farmchiq wrote:Prairie Dog isn't it a bit early to make that statement? It's 6 weeks til official winter yet.

Pretty cold here for the time of year. Caught me with my pants down, somewhat. Scrambling to find working trough heaters. Not putting lights out but the coops still need cleaning and I need to get more organized!
....Nah ! In the last few years they haven't gotten it right yet ! We should have way more snow by now and although I don't mind I do get fed up with these scare tactic's as it were .And i say scare tactic's because you should see the grocery stores when they make these pridictions , you would think that a famine was hitting the area ! Based on what we see ,it will be mild for some time yet ,based on what we see that is .20 to 35 CM of snow was the forecast and we got some rain ,ice rain and then a tiny bit of snow ,never mind the traveling warnings ? High winds causeing white out conditions ??? starting to sound a lot like last year already

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Prairie Dog
You are lucky I guess I am right over the MB Border in Moosomin and we got dumped on good The drifts are about 3 feet and there is about 16 inches of snow on the drive
I drove the truck around the drive doing chores yesterday and the ruts that I made in the snow are filled up plus more
It is still snowing right now and starting to blow alot.
I hate the Snow but I really hate it when it Starts to Blow around
But I love Sask and love it on the farm so I just get use to it
Hope you get what you want and you are more than welcome to take ours

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

No snow here, but it was -9 C over night. The water buckets had some ice this morning. I turned on heat lamps in the coops and close down the windows.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

THe only good thing about cold and snow is that when you have sustained cold, you hope you have snow to go with it. Sustained cold and no snow leads to frozen waterlines and that's a whole other level of misery. As obnoxious as it is to shovel and wade through, I want to hear water when I open an outside hydrant to water the critters.

Of course great gobs of snow, which weigh down tree branches, which fall on power lines knocking out power and then the pump doesn't run and you have no water anyway...Arizona sounds like a nice place.

appway wrote:Prairie Dog
You are lucky I guess I am right over the MB Border in Moosomin and we got dumped on good The drifts are about 3 feet and there is about 16 inches of snow on the drive
I drove the truck around the drive doing chores yesterday and the ruts that I made in the snow are filled up plus more
It is still snowing right now and starting to blow alot.
I hate the Snow but I really hate it when it Starts to Blow around
But I love Sask and love it on the farm so I just get use to it
Hope you get what you want and you are more than welcome to take ours
......well it seems as they are saying the system is pulling further north then what they thought ? so we get what we get ! I don't mind not getting what you got ! We will get more I hope ,ground water levels are low and after the dry year the farmers can use the extra moisture on the fields .We seem to be getting milder every year it seems and you folk west of us are getting what we normally got ?

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Shocked Shocked . I heard tale that it was -9 at home the night before last. Down on the wet west coast Friday and Saturday were sunny, warm, beautiful, rained yesterday and so again this morning, sitting I would venture about 7 degrees. I did not plan for the below zero weather when I left on Friday for my birds. The waterers for the birds were not prepared for below zero weather. This distresses me because I know for surely that it has caused extra work for oldest gal to look after my birds....she is smart, she knows what to do, but just not an extra that I wanted her to look after. Donning my longjohns below my jeans when we leave this morning, as I KNOW it's gonna be darn cold when I get out of the vehicle when we arrive back, brrrrr.....whoooooda thunk. Beautiful days, to keep us happy and not blue, CynthiaM.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Only -6C this morning, thank Gordon. We did have a bunch of snow last night though.

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Days may be cold but the days are spectacular - not a cloud in the sky and sun sparkling on the mountaintops!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have our first snow this morning with the temperature right at freezing.

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I would love to see snow. I get so tired of the depressing rain, although we had a couple of days of sun just for CynthiaM. Hey Cynthia. Wish I had know you were going to be in the neighbourhood. I would have invited you for coffee!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum