Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Weather-have you got it, are you getting it?

+8
Magdelan
rosewood
vic's chicks
Schipperkesue
authenticfarm
smokyriver
lady leghorn
coopslave
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just wondering how everyone is faring? It isn't here yet, but I can feel it coming. Splitting headache all day. The hatches are battened down. Even closed the chooks in tonight. Haven't had to close the pop doors all week.

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Haven't got it yet, but sure has gotten a lot colder through out the day. Brrrrrrrrrrr. Sure can feel it though. No 

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Blizzard started here just after supper. Hatches are all battened down and the furnace is finally running again after I had to play furnace repair man! Lol. House was getting a little cold by the time I got the darn thing fixed. Those poor birds are all sheltered and the horses are all clustered in their shelter. It is looking like a nasty one. The school buses here are called off already for tomorrow

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

We're outside of the winter storm warning area.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Started here about an hour ago. Darn!!!!

Coming down hard with big flakes in Gibbons, says my brother. Starting to come down more heavy here too. Flakes are getting a little bigger. No wind yet.

All my nice beatin down paths have a good skim of snow on them already Sad Booooooo!

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

This is what it looked like this morning.

All evening wee were at dinner at by brothers house. Doug was tracking it on his phone. Apparently it sat over Rocky Mountain House for a while before moving to us. It is snowing now, but tomorrow the winds are going to pick up and make everything worse.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

vic's chicks

I love the picture. I do miss that beautiful flat land and the snow and the feeling of hunkering down inside, warm and cozy. Here on the coast it is still quite warm, still above zero at night. Tomorrow  night it is going to plummet to between -3 and -7. People are really worried. All the talk in the line at the grocery store is about the cold snap that is coming. It seems so funny to me after growing up in Winnipeg.  We might get some snow Friday and Saturday. I hope my new Manitobah Mukluks arrive soon. Stay safe everyone. I remember the blizzards. They can be scary.

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We had heavy rain last night and fog patches for most of the day. The temperature is now -1 and falling to a forecasted -7 on Monday night. Not much snow being forecast so likely the yard will be suitable for hockey most everywhere by tomorrow night. I have some new heat lights.

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

wind has changed from northerly to southerly to northerly again. Warm enough for snow to melt today and slide off roofs but snowing again, definitely have to plow tomorrow. Supposed to be -18 at night in a few days. My heated nipple waterer thingies are almost ready to try out, so looking forward to that. I got more bedding into coops, more on hand and hope to pick up my corn tomorrow so they can have hot stuff in their tum's at night. But, really feel I have nothing to comment on just looking at Sue's picture! Very beautiful but sobering at same time. What temperature does it have to be before they keep kids home from school and cancel buses? We drove through Burns Lake (I think) once at about 1am in a blizzard, it was indeed a disorientating and scary experience.

birish

I drive spare school bus here,the regs. are -45 with the wind chill,I did arun last winter,radio said -43,I got there alright but the tranny took about 4 miles before it shifted.It rained for a couple hours last night now it's -7 with 4 inches of snow,my wifes on a run,fingers crossed as she has to go through a deep coulee

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have approx a foot of snow and still snowing. Not sure on the temp but it should be interesting as we also had a wind to build drifts from all this light snow!!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

birish wrote:I drive  spare school bus here,the regs. are -45 with the wind chill,I did arun last winter,radio said -43,I got there alright but the tranny took about 4 miles before it shifted.It rained for a couple hours last night now it's -7 with 4 inches of snow,my wifes on a run,fingers crossed as she has to go through a deep coulee
good grief birish, that would be scary stuff. what if you just break down on the way - that gives me the heebidie jeebidies. I keep trying to get my kids to take extra warm gear (even a damn jacket for crying in the soup!) in case this happens. We don't get anywhere near as cold as that but it just makes my teeth rattle at the idea of having to walk home even 5km at -5 without a blimmin' jacket. They may have to have the experience to know what that's about, hope not. stubborn teenagers. what can you do?? (unplug the internet Twisted Evil ).

I had to look up what a coulee was. my husband told me about the nasty storm Dakota had for early winter, apparently the worst in 150 yrs and they talked about coulee's there. cows froze to death. nasty business. hope your wife gets home ok :-).

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Not sure of the temps, but we sure are getting nasty weather, pretty much a blizzard, snow blowing sideways, winds really blowing.
Horrible weather. affraid 

Our boys stayed home today. End of my drive is drifted in. It took Darrell 45 minutes to get into work. Usually takes 25 min. Highway was drifted; had 2 feet snow drifts in some places.

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Its -14 light snow and blowing 45km W giving us a -27 windchill. Settle in for the week its gonna be a cold one.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is pretty bad here too. -15C but I think it is -27C with the wind as well. Braved the roads for work for a professional day. Drove Aussie style for half the way as the plow had only cleared one side of the road and the other had drifts of over 2 feet. Glad nobody else was stupid enough to be on the roads!

Winds are blowing so hard I keep looking out to see the chicken pens collapsed, but so far so good.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Black Gold Regional Schools have no bus service tomorrow. Teachers are still expected to come in.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just heard my highway is closed before and after my range road. I shall have to go around the long way. A 20 minute drive will take me 1 1/2 hours.

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Why do they make you go in, when the kids aren't there and the roads aren't safe???

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oi, oi, oi, whatever!! It has been snowing that light snow all day, with horrid wind this way and that, north, south, east, west. Everything under our deck roof is covered in snow. I keep going out and sweeping it all off and then the wind blows it all back in from the other direction. I even put the blind down off the south side where the bar is outside. Ya, that blew right off the bottom and was banging around, the top of course stayed put, cause it is a pull down blind. Blick. It is cold. It is -5 right now at 2:55 (ya, I know, whine, whine, shoudl have some wine, ya, think I will have some wine so I can whine). Red whining with red wine. Yep. I think the snow is here to stay. Now an accumulation of about 5 inches and it ain't lookin' like it is gonna get any better. We are hunkered down. I don't need to drive anywhere, as we are provisioned up now, got all I need, especially enough wine Razz  found out it way cheaper to buy it by the 3 ltre box (especially when a good sale is on). Oh well, winter certainly is here, so let's just buckle down and batton up. The chickens got put back inside today cause the wind was blowing everywhere, and I just thought they would be better off inside. Poor little things, smiling that big smile. Have a most wonderful night, with days to follow.

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Not really good weather here for snow angels. We have a strong wind from the north east and -6. Closed down the windows on the chicken coop and gave the pigs some straw. A cow and two steers discovered that the hay bales could be reached through the fence and if you reach through often enough the staples pull out allowing easy passage through for a mid afternoon snack. Repairing a section of fence is on the agenda for tomorrow.

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

...a little wind from the north making things colder than usual. But my hoses aren't frozen yet so it's a good day. Smile

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

islandgal99 wrote:...a little wind from the north making things colder than usual. But my hoses aren't frozen yet so it's a good day.  Smile
you probably just made everyone who is not living in the lower mainland area be sick in their boots islandgal99, sick with jealousy Razz . I know that is not true, plenty seem to love their extreme winter weather locations. I'm not having an especially difficult time actually, just wish the council would plow the roads we take to get to the highway cause even though we have good winter tires our little front wheel corolla slides about a bit when it isn't nicely plowed and gritted Rolling Eyes 

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

lady leghorn wrote:Why do they make you go in, when the kids aren't there and the roads aren't safe???
It is a stipulation of our contract.

I just got in the house.  I have been shovelling for two and a half hours by hand.  The quad is out of gas.  I am hoping my little two wheel drive truck will be able to push through the un plowed driveway tomorrow morning.  The snow at the back has drifted over my knee level.  Even the quad won't plow through that.

All in all we got about 12"-18" over the last 24 hours.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum