Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My chicken coop

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My chicken coop Empty My chicken coop Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:53 pm

It was a shed and has been insulated with rigid foam with boards over the ceiling and the upper portion, which is plywood. Cement board is on the walls on the lower 4 feet, over the insulation of course. There is an opening window and a vent on the opposite wall. The big door does not fit properly. I believe the hinges were installed incorrectly and the whole thing should be taken down and reinstalled, but that will be next year. As it is there is air seepage around the door and the water inside can freeze which means the coop is not very warm. It does protect from wind and that is good, but the combs on the roosters may freeze if it gets very cold. Pink is my signature colour, not because it is my favourite colour, but because it stands out really well and grabs attention. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I could not get the picture to load for some reason. I will try again tomorrow

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by The Fat Ewe on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total

2My chicken coop Empty Re: My chicken coop Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:51 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

There is an old saying that the leakiest coops are the healthiest ones. A tight coop may be warm but it does not let the moisture out and may cause respiratory issue in your birds. You may want to embrace those imperfections!

3My chicken coop Empty Re: My chicken coop Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:01 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree with Sue! I have an insulated, vapour barriered hen house and I leave the windows open a crack all winter. I have often wondered how chickens can be so dusty and so humid at the same time?

The mistake we made was not insualting the floor. Inside water freezes from the bottom up as cold wind blows under the coop. BUt inside water is a bad idea for me anyway, it ups the interior moisture by a zillion percent and then I have a wet, dusty interior and birds more likley to get ill. No matter what the waether, the birds go OUTSIDE to eat and drink. THey learn to show up for water while it is first set out and not frozen.

SUe is correct, airtight is not good with birds. I don't think it's good with people either.

4My chicken coop Empty Re: My chicken coop Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:35 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

TFE
It looks great and I am sure the Chickens are goit to do great in it this winter
as long as they dont have the wind blowing on them they should be fine
Nice entry you fixed up for them

5My chicken coop Empty Re: My chicken coop Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 pm

I think I will remove the inside water too. It freezes anyhow, since it is on the floor. I bought a chicken nipple kit from Avian Mist and some heat tape, but am too dumb to figure it all out, so for now they are watered in a bucket. There is a small cage inside nearer to the heat lamp where the Japanese bantams are stuck all winter. Their water has not frozen yet since they are high up.
The wind tunnel seems to work quite nicely now that there is light inside. They were afraid of going in at night when it was dark.

6My chicken coop Empty Re: My chicken coop Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:43 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nice coop! I love the little front porch. Smile

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum