Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Painting a chicken coop

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Painting a chicken coop Empty Painting a chicken coop Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:27 pm

Azure Farm

Azure Farm

I'm wanting to paint the inside of my chicken coop this year and am wondering if anyone recommends a certain type of paint??? I want something tough and washable. I was thinking about using a cement paint but thought I'd see what others used.

http://azurepoultry.webs.com/

2Painting a chicken coop Empty Re: Painting a chicken coop Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:01 am

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have used UFA's Linseed Oil Barn Paint as well as their exterior latex barn Paint.

3Painting a chicken coop Empty Re: Painting a chicken coop Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:18 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

It was suggested to us to use marine paint, which we did. Goes on thick to keep mites out and is easily washable.

4Painting a chicken coop Empty Re: Painting a chicken coop Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:25 pm

What about good old whitewash made with lime?

5Painting a chicken coop Empty Re: Painting a chicken coop Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:49 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I just painted my first coop and didn't go with a heavy duty type. First of all, I wanted to use a warm colour and marine paint, etc. that isn't white, is hard to find and second of all you need to give it a few weeks to air out before you put chickens in it. So I went with a very low odour, fast drying exterior paint that I can wash (but not scrub hard) with a disinfectant solution when necessary. I also use so much pine shavings that my coop floors don't need a hard scrub.

I feel confident that the plywood sides and floor have a reasonably good seal on them and as long as water doesn't sit on the paint but runs off with it being exterior, it'll be fine when needing a wash.

6Painting a chicken coop Empty Re: Painting a chicken coop Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:33 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I used General Paint (Breeze) interior primer on my coop walls because it was what I had on hand. It seems to be holding up well, though next time I'd go with a gloss or semi-gloss finish for ease of cleaning. Check your local paint stores for discounted cans of wrongly mixed colours. Alot of times you can find some really good deals there. Smile

7Painting a chicken coop Empty Re: Painting a chicken coop Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:18 am

Azure Farm

Azure Farm

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm thinking of going with the marine paint.I painted the outside with it and it is durable and i don't need the building till fall so it has a long time to air out.

http://azurepoultry.webs.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum