Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Home made electrolyte recipe

+6
bcboy
CynthiaM
Blue Hill Farm
heda gobbler
Susan
Prairie Chick
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Home made electrolyte recipe Empty Home made electrolyte recipe Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:36 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Home Made Electrolyte recipe

1 cup water
2 teaspoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda

Use full strength on severely ailing chickens, otherwise mix into their drinking water as needed, a cup per gallon of water.

Replacing the electrolytes lost during times of oppressive heat could mean the difference between life and death to your chickens.

You can also add this electrolyte mix to water for your dogs, cats, rabbits, horses and other animals. Even mix some into a little fruit juice for yourself or your kids.

Here is the link if you would like to read the article http://communitychickens.blogspot.ca/2012/07/homemade-electrolyte-recipe-hot-weather.html

2Home made electrolyte recipe Empty Re: Home made electrolyte recipe Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:16 am

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks PC. I will be adding that to everyone's water today! 33 with humidity of 43. Then storms to look forward to all night. Ugh.

3Home made electrolyte recipe Empty Re: Home made electrolyte recipe Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:37 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good idea! I will add it to the boar's water. He really seems to suffer in the heat.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

4Home made electrolyte recipe Empty Re: Home made electrolyte recipe Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:08 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just wanted to bump this up since the weather is so hot, would hate for anyone to lose any birds

5Home made electrolyte recipe Empty Re: Home made electrolyte recipe Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:02 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Awesome, I'm writing this one down. Thanks PC. Smile

6Home made electrolyte recipe Empty Re: Home made electrolyte recipe Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:31 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oooh, cool, just noticed the emoticons are back at the side of the window where I type, so mmmuch easier than scrolling down below the window to grab one.  Good one, if this was you Jonny.  Cool 

Yes, good.

I wonder about this.  Are electrolytes lost from sweating?  Mammals sweat, fowl do not sweat.  I think that sweating means loss of electrolytes.  A chicken pants, like a dog, but do they sweat?  I am not sure that I am about to give my chickens electrolyte water cause they might drink too much water and then that is not good for them either.  Too much water gives then loose poo.  I don't know.  I don't think in nature birds get electrolytes, unless they make it themselves.  I am not going to give electrolyte water to my chickens.  But, if someone can enlighten me on why they would need this please do.  I am always interested in learning stuff that is good for my birds, if there is evidence, and good evidence to back this up.  My birds are drinking lots of water, and seem pretty happy, even with this heat, panting yes, but then birds pant.  Even watched some magpies panting the other day, weird.  Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

7Home made electrolyte recipe Empty Re: Home made electrolyte recipe Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:25 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I only give electrolytes in the water of stressed or ailing chickens, and luckily have not had too in quite some time. (knock, knock) I think the idea is too help replenish the bodies natural enegry reserves, kind of a pick me up when your feeling down. I do use ACV in my chickens water regularly though. They seem to like it. And I'll give vitamins (poul-vite) on occasion too.

8Home made electrolyte recipe Empty Re: Home made electrolyte recipe Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:08 am

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks for posting.

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

9Home made electrolyte recipe Empty Re: Home made electrolyte recipe Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:27 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Like Cynthia I am skeptical. On a hot day access to plain water is the best for healthy chickens. I wouldn't go giving electrolytes unless an animal were dehydrated first, and even then I would hesitate. There are dangers to too much electrolyte consumption. I couldn't find an animal article, but here is a human one:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/521763-can-you-consume-too-much-electrolytes/

10Home made electrolyte recipe Empty Re: Home made electrolyte recipe Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:43 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think in animals that produce sweat, sweat carrying salt, wen eed sweating creatures to recharge their Electrolux.

But dogs and chickens do NOT sweat, do NOT lose salt through their hides, but rather pant to give off moisture. Giving them salt may create an imbalance in their Electrolux. They may need plain water to recharge and maybe cool water applied to body to bring down internal temp.

11Home made electrolyte recipe Empty Re: Home made electrolyte recipe Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:17 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno, an Electrolux is a vacuum!! I am sure that you know that and I am goshing ya!! Again, don't think I would electrocute the water, oops, I mean put electrolyte water into my birds diet. They don't sweat. I think I am eating too much salt, my ankles feel a little puffy these past two days Embarassed  . But I sweat so much.....well, I think I do, I don't smell, but I surely do drip, right into me eyes, need to wear a sweat band I think Cool  Laughing  have beautiful days, CynthiaM.

12Home made electrolyte recipe Empty Re: Home made electrolyte recipe Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:46 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

13Home made electrolyte recipe Empty Re: Home made electrolyte recipe Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:51 am

Daisychainsaw

Daisychainsaw

Electrolytes are also lost in urine/feces (especially if diarrhea). So if in really hot temps your animals have excessive diarrhea then replacing the electrolytes may be necessary. Also in the case of dehydration, your urine is more concentrated therefore may lead to increasing loss of electrolytes.

You do need to be careful about too much electrolytes (and too little) as they are important in many body functions including the heart function and swinging either way can cause serious consequences

So for me, unless my chickens are sick or symptomatic, they will get regular water Smile 

Honestly, they seem to prefer the underground creek that comes up to the surface and runs down their fence to their waterers! Probably colder and fresher! sunny 

Ok that's my two cents now off to work I must go!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum