Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

puffed up and constant head shaking

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1puffed up and constant head shaking Empty puffed up and constant head shaking Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:48 am

vic's chicks

I have a 5 week old buff orpington pullet that just went into the outside coop 2 days ago. She has been sitting puffed up with her eyes half closed and is shaking her head constantly. She is also standing by a white wall alot and pecking at it and not eating. I picked her up and felt her crop it seems to be empty. Any clues?

2puffed up and constant head shaking Empty Re: puffed up and constant head shaking Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:18 pm

Sultan

Sultan

i had a buff silkie rooster that would shake his head and close his eyes. He had a ear infetion so we cleared his ears but it had already spread Crying or Very sad . He then started to walk backward and run into walls. But he always had a big crop. I walked in the coop and he was dead.

walter

3puffed up and constant head shaking Empty Re: puffed up and constant head shaking Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:54 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Eyes closed or half closed means pain. If your bird looks like it's sleeping, when you know it isn't, it's in pain.

FIrst thing I would suspect from your description is something bothering the ears. Either something is stuck in an ear or an infection as Sultan suggested.

The other thing is a head injury. Who knows how but every now and then a bird whacks itself a good one on the head. A head injury can cause this sort of activity. But my first thought would be a problem with the ears.

4puffed up and constant head shaking Empty Re: puffed up and constant head shaking Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:30 am

vic's chicks

Today she's eating drinking and acting totally normal. Yeah! Yesterday I was really bummed out because another one was acting sick as well puffed up standing with its head under its wings lethargic. Could it have been they are not used to the temperature change. They were inside in quite a warm room for 4 weeks. I have a heat lamp out there but it has been an unusually cold and rainy spring here. We are still firing up the wood stove some nights.

5puffed up and constant head shaking Empty Re: puffed up and constant head shaking Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:33 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, that is nice to hear, I am suspecting the poor thing was just feeling kind of cold Very Happy have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

6puffed up and constant head shaking Empty Glad They're Ok! Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:25 pm

pluckylady

pluckylady

Keep an eye on them, sounds like an ear infection I would guess. So glad they're looking better!

Cheers!

Pluckylady

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum