Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

hen shaking like a leaf

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1hen shaking like a leaf Empty hen shaking like a leaf Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:48 am

Terre Wilde

Terre Wilde

Hello all!

I have a hen living in my laundry room. She is the one that almost died from other chickens attacking her. I put her under a heat lamp as she was in shock and she revived just fine. Eating up a storm and seems very content to be the laundry room chicken.

However, every time I think she can do without the heat lamp and turn it off - I'll check on her in an hour or so and she is literally vibrating and shaking. I turn the heat lamp back on and she reverts back to being just fine. Any thoughts?

2hen shaking like a leaf Empty Re: hen shaking like a leaf Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:32 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Try decreasing the wattage of your heat lamp a little at a time. So either a dimmer switch or change the bulbs. Say from 250 to 175, to 60 and then off. Might be the big switch in temperature that has her going? If she is dry, fully feathered (sorry not sure how badly she was beaten up) she should be able to maintain her body heat and in a bit without a heat lamp she should stop shivering. But if you feel sorry for her then gradually decrease the wattage and see how she does.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3hen shaking like a leaf Empty Re: hen shaking like a leaf Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:11 pm

Terre Wilde

Terre Wilde

Thanks! I'll try decreasing the wattage and see how that goes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum