Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

guinea invasion

+7
pops coops
appway
CynthiaM
heda gobbler
Hidden River
SerJay
coopslave
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1guinea invasion Empty guinea invasion Fri May 25, 2012 10:17 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

We had 2 lav guineas show up at the ranch a couple of days ago. Now they are up here at our house. Hubby hates them and wants to get rid of them. I kinda like em. They were under our window this morning calling to each other though.,...... Neutral

2guinea invasion Empty Re: guinea invasion Fri May 25, 2012 12:04 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Haha my son has been wanting guineas and as pretty as their feathers are the heads are affraid We picked up poults last weekend and they had guineas wow the noise!! My sons roosters are bad enough but good grief the noise those guineas made Shocked I can understand your hubby wanting them away from the house!

3guinea invasion Empty Re: guinea invasion Fri May 25, 2012 1:21 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

So where did the guineas come from coopslave? Seems strange they would just show up.
I agree with the noise, but after a while you get used to it, and when they start a racket up you know to go out and check because something is usually up.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4guinea invasion Empty Re: guinea invasion Fri May 25, 2012 10:24 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Once they get used to all the goings on at your house they will quiet down, only make really awful noises if something is out of the norm.

I'd take them if they need a new home..

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

5guinea invasion Empty Re: guinea invasion Fri May 25, 2012 10:54 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

They were back down at the ranch this afternoon. In the indoor with us while the horses were getting shod. They are cute in an ugly sort of way.
They belong to the neighbour. He said there was a HUGE family squabble over there in all the guineas, these guys must of just had enough and thought to look elsewhere for a place to live. I think it is a pair.

Heda, still convincing hubby that they can stay. Let's see if they are under our bedroom window again tomorrow morning! Very Happy

6guinea invasion Empty Re: guinea invasion Fri May 25, 2012 11:13 pm

You're going to have to change your signature to Noisy Guinea. Smile

7guinea invasion Empty Re: guinea invasion Sat May 26, 2012 6:56 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hmmmm...never heard a guinea before, but I don't think I would like them, I have heard of how much noise they make. Enough noise around here, that would put me over the brink Embarassed . To each his own. Guess the lavender guineas had enough too Very Happy . Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

8guinea invasion Empty Re: guinea invasion Sat May 26, 2012 9:18 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hello

Here is a clip from on line that has guinea sounds for those that dont know what they sound like
I my self love the sound
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

9guinea invasion Empty Re: guinea invasion Sat May 26, 2012 10:42 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

You will get used to it I have 2 flocks of around 40 birds and yes can get noisy at times, but they mostly run around getting ticks ( they hunt ticks down )and bugs,

Last edited by pops coops on Sun May 27, 2012 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.popscoops.com

10guinea invasion Empty Re: guinea invasion Sun May 27, 2012 7:27 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Appyway, good link. I listened to the guinea fowl, they don't sound too awful, but boy what weird lookin' things, the things on the side of the face were a crackup, smiling. That link lead me to watching one on 2,000 ducks crossing a road, that was cool too. Wonder how a couple of guinea fowl would fit in with a few chickens, smiling. I didn't find the sound of them obtrusive, kind of liked it. I think I would have to see them in the person though to make a sound judgement Cool have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

11guinea invasion Empty Re: guinea invasion Sun May 27, 2012 10:10 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM wrote:Appyway, good link. I listened to the guinea fowl, they don't sound too awful, but boy what weird lookin' things, the things on the side of the face were a crackup, smiling. That link lead me to watching one on 2,000 ducks crossing a road, that was cool too. Wonder how a couple of guinea fowl would fit in with a few chickens, smiling. I didn't find the sound of them obtrusive, kind of liked it.

CynthiaM
I am sure you will love having a couple (pair) Around they are great birds they eat Ticks and alot of other bugs they will attack snakes and they let you know when someting does not belong in the yard.
and they breed good

12guinea invasion Empty Re: guinea invasion Sun May 27, 2012 10:28 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is not really the sound they make, it is more the sheer volume they seem to produce it at!!! Laughing

They are back down at the ranch and I hope they stick around. I think the noise is pretty cool, but not under our window in the morning.

CynthiaM, I will let you know if they raise a clutch and make sure you get a couple. Very Happy

13guinea invasion Empty Re: guinea invasion Sun May 27, 2012 1:45 pm

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I listened to the clips and those Guinea weren't even close to as noisy as I've heard or as obnoxious. I'd own some if they were that quiet. They are tick eating machines Very Happy

14guinea invasion Empty Re: guinea invasion Sun May 27, 2012 7:35 pm

Moose and I wound up with a guinea from the Moose Jaw sale. Our farm sounds so exotic now LOL and I cannot get over their sound, appearance or texture (wow, was I surprised at their feathering). He's in with our grubby Chanty roo while he gets used to his confines and surroundings (and until we get him an a-frame going so he can't get away).

Moose loves these guys and wants to have a flock of them around free ranging.

15guinea invasion Empty Re: guinea invasion Sun May 27, 2012 7:42 pm

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

LOL thats funny! Very Happy what a nice surprise to have them in your yard!
our guineas cackle under the windows some times in the in the morning too, that is one time i want to strangle them LOL

16guinea invasion Empty Re: guinea invasion Mon May 28, 2012 8:14 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

coopslave wrote:
CynthiaM, I will let you know if they raise a clutch and make sure you get a couple. Very Happy

How gracious. If they are too noisy and I get complaints here, smiling, will you take them back Shocked . Just kidding, I think that our "landlords" smiling again, would probably enjoy them, they sure enjoy our chickens. Daughter especially, and Son-in-Law too. Are they gentle, meaning, can they go in with chickens in the coops, would I need to choose which breed they should be with because of temperament? Need to know and understand many things before I get down to business. Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

17guinea invasion Empty Re: guinea invasion Mon May 28, 2012 11:26 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Check out this thread for help with your guinea invasion...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

18guinea invasion Empty Re: guinea invasion Mon May 28, 2012 12:34 pm

In case of zombie invasion, or rather, a guy hopped up on a new strain of LSD and almost zombie-like in nature, a guinea could be an excellent alarm system.

19guinea invasion Empty Re: guinea invasion Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:22 pm

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I really, really miss my Guinea Fowl. We have had at least 3 different Bears hanging around our neighborhood, in and out of our yard and into my neighbors coops in the last week. I always depended on my Guinea's to alert me of anything that came into the yard when I was outside. They did an excellent job of letting you know. Now the yard is so quiet and I'm quite nervous out there.

This Dude was a 10 minute walk from our house. The only reason we knew where he was, was because we seen him go into the bush off the train tracks and lay down. He was still laying there, with his leg up in the air when we walked by on the way home. He was only about 100 ft from us, and totally quiet. My husband threw a rock at him, and he just sat up and watched us watching him. Not scared.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I would recommend Guineas as look out birds, because they have sharp eyes and don't miss much. They are also curious and I have found if they see anything different they will run over to check it out while giving an alarm. If it is serious, I've seen them running away screeching all the way. We take heed to them if they act like that, for sure.

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

20guinea invasion Empty Re: guinea invasion Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:55 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cool bear picture! I have not seen any yet this year. Some of the neighbours have though. I saw tons of them last year.

We are up to 4 guineas now. Another pair has moved to the ranch. I like them, and think they are cool. If they keep going into the shop and screeching and pooping I don't know how long they will last though......

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum