Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chicks with swollen hocks & funky leg

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chicks with swollen hocks & funky leg Empty Chicks with swollen hocks & funky leg Tue May 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Michelle S

I have a 7week old SLW chick that I hatched from my own eggs. He looked healthy when he was hatched, but when he was 2 weeks old I noticed a swelling on his hock and he became non- weight bearing on that leg. He has progressively gotten worse and now the bottom half of his leg from the hock down is turned out at a gross angle, almost like his bones (the tibia & metatarsus) are not held together at the joint. I just attributed it to an injury of some kind, but now I am noticing a 2 week old BCM chick that I hatched from eggs I purchased from a good breeder is beginning to show the same symptoms. So I'm starting to think that the SLW didn't have an injury. Is it possible that this problem is from my incubator? I incubated & hatched in a circulated air hovabator, my temps ranged from 98.4 to 100.4, and my humidity was 35-45% during incubation & 70%+ during hatching. Any thoughts what this could be or someone who experienced something similar?

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would think something more feed related, or genetic issues.
If it was your incubator it would show up from the start, I have had incubation issues (usually after a long power outage) that has made chicks comeout with a twisted leg, or one that will jet off to the side. But for it to show up at 2 plus weeks I would wonder about feed, Maybe something that is too "hot" for the chicks?

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I saw this when I did a search, maybe it is what is happening to your chicks?

Fix Slipped Achilles Tendon in Hock Joint

•Use to treat Slipped Achilles Tendon (tendon that runs down through the groove on the back of a chick's hock has slipped out of place off to the side). If a leg has this problem, the joint will look swollen and the back of the hock will look flat (Compare to other leg to double-check). The chick can't straighten its leg if this is what's wrong with it.

•Gently pull the upper part of chick's leg a bit behind normal position and then carefully straighten the leg as though chick were stretching its leg back. The tendon should pop back into place pretty easily and cause little if any pain.
◦Some sources recommend pushing the tendon back in place just by pressing with your finger. However, stretching the leg back is a much less painful method.

•Swelling on hock:
◦If infection is part of what is causing joint to swell, you will find pus. Recovery would be very difficult and the chick should probably be put down.
◦If it is just caused by displacement, swelling will go down in 2-4 days.

•Put the chick in a Chick Chair and/or put its leg in a cast (such as one made from a drinking straw) for a few days (~5) while re-alignment stabilizes.
◦It is important that the legs not be able to touch the ground at all. The chick needs to hang with them bent and be discouraged from using its legs until the tendon has stretched and adjusted back to the right place and shape.

•Note: It may take a few days for the groove to be fully developed on a young chick and you may have to fix the tendon more than once.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Michelle S

Thanks Hidden. I googled achilles tendon in chicks, and that is what it looks like! I am feeding chick starter to the SLW & his hatch mates, & turkey starter to the BCM & his hatch mates. Both I get from the co-op here in Wetaskiwin, so I would expect that they are nutritionally complete. And they're not really fast growing breeds like a broiler, so Im not sure what would cause this. I'm thinking about treating the BCM since he is much younger and just starting to show symptoms. I am thinking it is too late for the SLW since it has been this way for 5 weeks. Have you ever successfully treated a chick in a "chick chair" or sling before? Any tips?

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

i cant even imagine what achick chair would look like... Shocked
unfortunately whenever I taped legs together or some such thing I usually ended up with a drowning or trampling victim, however I am not much cut out to be a nurse and I know others have had much better results....

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum