Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

All you Call Duck people

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1All you Call Duck people Empty All you Call Duck people Wed May 16, 2012 7:06 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

My first year with Call Ducks and I was wondering how many eggs I might expect. I've done some reading but also wanted to hear from closer sources.

2All you Call Duck people Empty Re: All you Call Duck people Wed May 16, 2012 7:23 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

3All you Call Duck people Empty Re: All you Call Duck people Wed May 16, 2012 7:32 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mine hasn't been laying long. Just put 10 eggs in the incubator.

I've read that they need swimming water to breed. Any truth in that? Mine have some to splash in right now but no swimming until I get better quarters built. I could give them a bigger container and take the mess for a short while if they need it.

4All you Call Duck people Empty Re: All you Call Duck people Wed May 16, 2012 3:04 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Mine sarteded in January but were under lights with the chickens. They started off with great fertility and each one laid about 8 to 10 eggs before taking a little break. They also only had a little tub to splash around in until it started to melt around here. The 1st 2 sets the fertility was great then declined near the end of the second cycle. Cycle 3 I only had 4 of 11 fertile and well we all know not one hatched. The white female had a major molt after the last cycle and I have not seen an egg for about 6ish weeks now.

They are now out happy swimming and napping all day not much "action" but every once in a while the males are frisky.

Thats my experience so far b ut this is also my 1st year with them.

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

5All you Call Duck people Empty Re: All you Call Duck people Wed May 16, 2012 6:37 pm

gubi

Our pair has a turtle sand box that the kids outgrew as their swimming pool. We have 2 ducklings hatched under a silkie hen today and we are waiting on 6 more.

6All you Call Duck people Empty Re: All you Call Duck people Thu May 17, 2012 12:27 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

7All you Call Duck people Empty Re: All you Call Duck people Mon May 21, 2012 5:20 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

It may come to a pick and shovel yet. We have a low wet spot on the lawn and I've been wondering if digging a small pond might dry it out (by giving the water a place to go).

Candled last night and there are fertile eggs there whoo hoo!

8All you Call Duck people Empty Re: All you Call Duck people Mon May 21, 2012 11:20 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

9All you Call Duck people Empty Re: All you Call Duck people Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:47 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

well, nothing from the first batch. Looks like they died in shell quite late in the incubation.

Have some fertile ones in the second batch too. The hen went broody at the same time that I started these and she only has 2 eggs so I'm thinking to put them under her. Don't see how she could do worse than I did.

On the lighter side, I checked her last night just to confirm how many eggs she had. Stuck my hand underneath and she started beating it as I expected. Started to pull away and she was coming with me. She had hold of the cuff of my jacket and she wasn't letting go. lol!

10All you Call Duck people Empty Re: All you Call Duck people Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:20 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Gave her the fertile eggs last night and she came after me again. Too funny! She bit my hand and I couldn't feel a thing. If ever a duck wished they had fangs...

Amazing how hormones affect the brain. Some hormone changes and a timid little animal is suddenly afraid of nothing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum