Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Too early to introduce my pullets???

+4
rosewood
fuzzylittlefriend
appway
motherhen
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Too early to introduce my pullets??? Empty Too early to introduce my pullets??? Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:03 pm

motherhen

motherhen
New Here

I've just put my 4 11 week old pullets in the same run/coop as my 9 other hens. One of my hens is pecking as is expected. I'm just wondering if they are old enough to put up with pecking yet? They have been in a very small mini coop that was attached to my main one only separated my the chicken wire for the past month or so. So they are no stranger to each other. Can hens kill the pullets by pecking?? Sad

2Too early to introduce my pullets??? Empty Re: Too early to introduce my pullets??? Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:11 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would say yes it is to early

and yes they can and will kill them from pecking

3Too early to introduce my pullets??? Empty Re: Too early to introduce my pullets??? Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:35 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

If u must move them try moving them at night. I have had better success with acceptance when they just seem to appear overnight!

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

4Too early to introduce my pullets??? Empty Re: Too early to introduce my pullets??? Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:12 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

You may have better luck with making the move in reverse by putting the hens in with the young pullets. Start by introducing just one hen and if things are fine add another hen until they have all been introduced. After that one you can move them all into the same run.

Last edited by rosewood on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

5Too early to introduce my pullets??? Empty Re: Too early to introduce my pullets??? Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:04 pm

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I am no expert but by 11 weeks they should be pretty much full grown. I put young birds in with the flock at around six weeks. They run around and get picked on a bit but as long as there is three or more they tend to stick together and adjust very quickly. My coop offers lots of hiding places for the young birds until they adjust but I have found they are mixing it up with the flock very quickly. Again it may depend on the type of bird. My birds are pretty laid back though there is a definate pecking order. That is the way with chickens, once established they harmonize very well. Again I am no expert and still pretty new to this but my mixed flock accepts young birds quite well, and if I have any troublesome bullies well as hard as it is they get culled.
Maybe I misunderstood and you were introducing 11 chicks that are 4 week old, in which case I would indeed be cautious, but 4 chicks 11 weeks old should be fine.
I too put my chicks in and area where they can see the older hens for a few weeks before I put them in, and I also put them in in the evening, and they don't have to leave their area until they want to but I really wouldn't worry if they are 11 weeks old.
I just release seven chicks that are about nine weeks old, two days ago. They were pretty scared and sleep in the nesting boxes but they are already hanging out with the other chicks two weeks older them them and are going outside and really enjoying life.
An amusing aside is that I have three great big blue orpington hens, they are sweet girls and I found they actually intervene on behalf of the young ones and put themselves between the young birds and the head hen and mediate.
Chickens are just so cool.
Again the size of coop and the type and number of birds will make a huge difference, you must be the judge. Good luck.

6Too early to introduce my pullets??? Empty Re: Too early to introduce my pullets??? Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:21 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Glad everyone has had good luck with putting that age of birds in a flock
I guess alot has to do with the breed
But I still stand by what I said before
I would watch them and not trust them
I have had poultry off and on since 4H and I am well past my 50's now and I learned the hard way
Good luck and hope they fit in well

7Too early to introduce my pullets??? Empty Re: Too early to introduce my pullets??? Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:49 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I wait till their 16 weeks old, big enough to take a peck or two and that's after they have been living side by side with a wire division for a couple of weeks.

8Too early to introduce my pullets??? Empty Re: Too early to introduce my pullets??? Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:55 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've had a couple bad experiences with mixing young chicks with old. I too would be very watchful.

9Too early to introduce my pullets??? Empty Re: Too early to introduce my pullets??? Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:05 pm

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I don't put mine in with the hens until they are 16-18 weeks old. Keep a very close eye on them for awhile and see how they are adjusting to each other to make sure there are no problems developing.

10Too early to introduce my pullets??? Empty Re: Too early to introduce my pullets??? Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:47 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Absolutely breed dependent I would say. I had my buff orpington rooster and 2 hens get in the pen that has the two buff orpington mothers sharing responsibility of 12 three and two week old chicks. When I saw that, I was scared, thought for surely the rooster and hens would have killed those little babies. Nope, just carried on like there was an addition to the clan. I have 24 chicks that are 6 weeks old now, they have been in a segregated area of the buckeye pen, dog kennel fence between, they have been there for 3 weeks. I am letting that fence go today and they will mingle. But then I have too, lots of room for them to run and hide if they needs be. I totally believe it is breed dependent. Good luck, have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum