Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How to introduce chickens in the same coop?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

wyandotte

I like to hear from you how you introduce chickens together in the same coop. I tried to have them in the same coop separated by chicken wire so they can see each other and after a couple of weeks mixing them. Sometimes chickens are afraid for the others and stay in the laying boxes or on the roost. Any suggestions? Thank you!

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I only have one main hen house and this is an ongoing problem. Mixing new birds with the regular gang can be difficult. Basically all you can do is put them together, make sure there is plenty of roost space for everyone and cross your fingers. If roost space is short, you make a problem worse.

The 'new' birds always seem to roost in the nest boxes and fill them with poo, they are pecked and chased off the roosts. I sometimes cover the nest boxes with cardboard so they have no choice but to get on the roost and after a while the pecking and shoving dies down.

One other thing, I make sure there is NO LIGHT at night when I mix old and new. I find the more light the more active and the more aggressive the hens are. For the safety of the new guys, no light makes the job of integrating a little eaiser. In my opinion.

I also never introduce birds that a very young or small, they just get relentlessly picked on. I wait until young birds are fully feathered and almost their adult size. It's still tough and there are still fist fights, but it can be done. Good luck!

I agree with what Uno say's ......do it with out any light ! They can't identify who's new it seems and there won't be any fights .It takes a while , once a pecking order has been set then they all get along just fine .

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree with the others. Just keep an I on the scuffles and make your everyone is getting feed and water and nobody gets hurt. It doesn`t usually take them long to sort it out.

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

i like to take a dominate hen or 2 out of there and put with the new ones for a few days in a neutral place then put them in together never just add 1 in or it will be bullied for a longer time...

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think chickens do better together when you are adding the same color/breed as there are there already, just another reason to keep a mixed flock...when we added a new color(breed)that wasn't already in the mix they were very aggressive but when we threw in some more barred patterned chickens there were no issues....

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum