Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Alternative to chick starter

+4
coopslave
CynthiaM
Arcticsun
ChicoryFarm
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Alternative to chick starter Empty Alternative to chick starter Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:49 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Looking for some suggestions on what I could feed chicks for up to a week or two without having to buy a 20lb bag of chick starter? These chicks are going to customers and I only need a little.

I've been giving them Red River cereal (uncooked) with some cornmeal and ground oat flakes but they're not really eating it and I'm starting to get worried. I gave them some cooked egg and yogurt yesterday and they devoured and now I'm concerned I've been starving them up till then as I rarely see them eating the grain.

Last edited by ChicoryFarm on Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Alternative to chick starter Empty Re: Alternative to chick starter Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:57 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would get cat kibble and crush that down (coffee grinders work great) and some canned cat food. They should be fine on that and enjoy it.

3Alternative to chick starter Empty Re: Alternative to chick starter Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:12 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks Arctic. Appreciate it. Will they then take to the chick starter no problem when owner's take them home and put them on grain?

4Alternative to chick starter Empty Re: Alternative to chick starter Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:20 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh oh. I don't know, but these are might thoughts, like it or not. I think there are some very important nutrients in the chick starter that are there, they give the chicks a good start in life. Perhaps there are other mixes that are just as good. But I would never chance anything but the best start I can give to chicks. I am sure that others do not feel that way, but I do. I know a 20 kg bag is a whole lotta feed, and the chick starter is a little more expensive. But..are you going to be raising more chicks? You could always have this on hand if you bought a big bag, if you are going to start more chicks. If not. Buckerfields has a bulk section and sometimes they will have small bags of chick starter, the co op does too, ya, not everyone wants a big bag of something or other. I believe though, like anything that lives, the first days, months, years, whatever the species of life, needs the best they can get to get their little bodies ready for the years ahead. Just my two cents here. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

5Alternative to chick starter Empty Re: Alternative to chick starter Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:31 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

When Buckerfields in Kelowna gets a broken bag the seperate it into little plastic bags for people that don't want as much. Maybe check around your feed suppliers, one of them may do the same thing.

6Alternative to chick starter Empty Re: Alternative to chick starter Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:42 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I was going to say - my feed store in Williams Lake is very happy to break up one big bag into smaller ones (using the bigger sandwich bags). Maybe ask/suggest? I just got them to do that for my new goslings - got a small bag of goose starter, enough for two for quite a while.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

7Alternative to chick starter Empty Re: Alternative to chick starter Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:15 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for your thoughts you guys. I did ask yesterday if they'd break a bag up and they said no. We're not in farm country here. They don't accommodate in that way.

In hindsight, I would just get the chick starter and not concern myself with price or amount. This all unfolded the way it did because I forgot about getting feed for the customer's chicks with the first hatch and thought I'd improvise and then I hung to these 5 chicks only for a longer time than I thought I would and then it all became more work trying to get them to eat cause the Red River was not appealing to them. It would have been worth the $20 just to get the 20lb bag and I could've probably sold the remaining amount to my last customer. Can you tell this is my first year of hatching for others?

ANd I agree that the starter has ingredients in it they need from the start. Another lesson learned - sigh. Neutral

8Alternative to chick starter Empty Re: Alternative to chick starter Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:36 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Another idea is sharing with a neighbour...I've been happy to help out someone who needed only an ice cream pail full of chick starter and wasn't really wanting to purchase a whole bag.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

9Alternative to chick starter Empty Re: Alternative to chick starter Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:53 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

good that you decided to do the chick starter it is a must in my mind and yes you can sell the rest to the last buyer

http://www.popscoops.com

10Alternative to chick starter Empty Re: Alternative to chick starter Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:33 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh ya, buy the 20 kg bag. Sometimes when I have someone that is purchasing chicks, only like a couple, I offer a bag of chick starter (baggie I mean) to go with the chicks, cause I am pretty sure that for 2 or 3 chicks they are not going to go through alot of effort to get starter for them, this is judgement call. It is important to me that my chicks when they leave the farm are properly fed. You can tell who will feed properly and who will not. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

11Alternative to chick starter Empty Re: Alternative to chick starter Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:41 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cindi, what an abhorrent avatar! That is not the image of have of you. Laughing

Thanks for the tip on sending them home with starter. I like it a lot. I will follow in your footsteps trailblazer.

12Alternative to chick starter Empty Re: Alternative to chick starter Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:07 am

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

ChicoryFarm wrote:Cindi, what an abhorrent avatar! That is not the image of have of you. Laughing .

Lol. I was just thinking the same thing. Snicker, snicker....

13Alternative to chick starter Empty Re: Alternative to chick starter Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:22 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

KatuskiFarms wrote:
ChicoryFarm wrote:Cindi, what an abhorrent avatar! That is not the image of have of you. Laughing .

Lol. I was just thinking the same thing. Snicker, snicker....

I like it! Very Happy Nice to see sweet CynthiaM has a dark side! Laughing

14Alternative to chick starter Empty Re: Alternative to chick starter Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:38 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am smiling, yes for surely, welcome to the dark side, I say no more Twisted Evil Shocked And you all thought I was that sweet lil' gal Shocked , just kidding. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum