Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Humidity drop during lockdown

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Humidity drop during lockdown Empty Humidity drop during lockdown Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:16 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have my incubator set up at school for the kids to watch (hopefully) I put the eggs into lockdown Friday and boosted the humidity. When I got in to work today the humidity had dropped to about 30%. Will thai hurt the chicks? Will they still hatch? There are about 40 five year olds thinking they will be moms and dads this week, so I hope things work out.

2Humidity drop during lockdown Empty Re: Humidity drop during lockdown Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:42 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

might make the membranes tougher but hopefully if they haven;t started to pip yet you can bring it up now by adding more water trays or sponges...
Must be really tough trying to hatch in classrom when you arent there over weekends ...
fingers crossed for a really good hatch.....

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

3Humidity drop during lockdown Empty Re: Humidity drop during lockdown Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:15 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

First thing I did is add water and raise the humidity. Tomorrow is actually hatch day and I know I heard a few peeps coming from the eggs this afternoon. I have 14 eggs at school, and yes, it's very stressful not being there on weekends. If I was an actual teacher they'd trust me with a key to the school and I could go check on them. I guess I'm just not that trustworthy! Cool

Last edited by DCChick on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

4Humidity drop during lockdown Empty Re: Humidity drop during lockdown Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:48 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

How exciting, you should have emergence today and the children may witness the birth of a baby fuzzy butt. Let us know how this all worked out. I don't think the humidity is as much a deal as many make out. Many dry hatch!! Some do, some don't. Good luck and have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

5Humidity drop during lockdown Empty Re: Humidity drop during lockdown Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:31 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Anything out yet? I don't think the humidity drop will give you any trouble. The kids are going to love these little chicks!!

6Humidity drop during lockdown Empty Re: Humidity drop during lockdown Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:32 am

I may be out to lunch here, or I may have actually gathered and retained some knowledge from my limited years of incubating and hatching, but I think the drop in humidity is more detrimental if it happens post-pip than pre-pip. They have all that liquid in there with them. Once they pip and it really starts to equalize with whatever the outside (of the shell) condition is, that's when you want to be careful not to let too much out. I would say, in my H. O., that you should be fine, but don't let the kids open the lid once they start! Wink

Good luck!! I am hoping that you're taking lots of pictures to set up a little collage in your classroom and that you'll remember to share with us. I am chick-deprived this year as I only incubated/hatched those ones for Cindi and that's it for me this year.

7Humidity drop during lockdown Empty Re: Humidity drop during lockdown Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:55 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

It was a very exciting day at kindergarten! There were three babies when we arrived. During the morning class four more hatched and the kids got to watch. At one point the kids were working away at the tables while all three teachers were gathered around the incubator. Razz During the afternoon class one more hatched so those kids got to see it too! Tomorrow we are moving them to a brooder (an old aquarium) so they can see them better.

I would have taken pictures, but someone took the SD card out of my camera Mad

These kids are from a lower income area and many seldom leave their neighbourhood nevermind see a farm so it's pretty cool for them.

8Humidity drop during lockdown Empty Re: Humidity drop during lockdown Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:09 pm

That's pretty heart-warming DCC. Good for you for sharing this miracle with these kids.

9Humidity drop during lockdown Empty Re: Humidity drop during lockdown Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:38 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very, very cool. I bet these kids never talk to their family, but had lots to say tonight! Laughing

10Humidity drop during lockdown Empty Re: Humidity drop during lockdown Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:57 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

:Yay Im so glad for all of you that there was a hatch!
Even a couple would really make the day and sounds like you had a good hatch, wonderful!!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum