Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

When is lockdown?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1When is lockdown? Empty When is lockdown? Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:55 am

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

Well, I borrowed my friend's Hovabator to do my very first hatch. There have been three power outages and lots of humidity/temp issues. Four thermometers all reading different temps. Urgh! I set the eggs at 3pm on March 19th. Do I have it right that April 5th is the day I remove the egg turner and add extra humidity? Hatch day April 8th?

The temps/humidity have been out of whack, does that mean the hatch date will be later and I should leave them in the turner longer?

Thanks!
Jen

2When is lockdown? Empty Re: When is lockdown? Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:46 am

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I would remove the turner and add more water the 5th, I think you are on the right track. I hope you have a good hatch Very Happy

3When is lockdown? Empty Re: When is lockdown? Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:33 pm

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

Thanks Amy! I appreciate the reply. I feel like an expectant mother again! This is my first hatch. We are so excited!!

4When is lockdown? Empty Re: When is lockdown? Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:54 am

maddyfofatty

maddyfofatty

Hey Jen, I count day 18 for you on the 6th at 3pm and hatching on the 9th. If temp. was low they'll be late, if high they'll be early. I had my humidity at about 45-50 for first 18 then 55-60 for lockdown. I had temp issues too - mine were about a day late and a few stragglers even later.

Sue

5When is lockdown? Empty Re: When is lockdown? Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:11 pm

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

So . . . is the day you put the eggs in the incubator Day 0 or Day 1? I thought it was Day 1.

Also, with the Hovabator, if I fill the circulation & thermal trays with water, will that last until after the hatch? I have been filling the circulation tray every two days. I am worried that it won't last for the whole hatch time? Shocked

We candled the eggs today and found 3 clears, 4 quitters and 26 moving chickies!!!! The next few days are going to be exciting!

6When is lockdown? Empty Re: When is lockdown? Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:07 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

If I put the eggs in on Mon., Tues. is day one.
Hopefully someone will answer about the humidity, sorry don't have that kind of bator.

7When is lockdown? Empty Re: When is lockdown? Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:11 pm

maddyfofatty

maddyfofatty

I don't know about the hovabator either I made my own incubator and I had to open during lockdown to add water (quickly). If you find you have to open during lockdown you can mist warm water when you are done and it should be fine. Better to open and keep the humidity right rather than risk low humidity - humidity is critical the last 3 days!

8When is lockdown? Empty Re: When is lockdown? Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:18 am

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

Thanks chickeesmom & maddyfofatty! I will take the turner out today. When misting how do you keep the eggs from getting wet?

9When is lockdown? Empty Re: When is lockdown? Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:24 am

maddyfofatty

maddyfofatty

You could put down a layer of paper towel over the eggs or just mist the sides and not directly on the eggs. Keep us posted!!

10When is lockdown? Empty Re: When is lockdown? Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:16 pm

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

Great thanks!

Last edited by harrop'shens on Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited because I can't spell 'Thanks")

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum