Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New birds and a drop in egg production??

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New birds and a drop in egg production?? Empty New birds and a drop in egg production?? Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:39 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have been growing some chicks that were hatched out of hatchling eggs...i introduced the lot to my chicken house and kept them isolated for a week, then opened the doors to integrate the bunch together. Now our egg production has dropped off from 18/day down to 9-12/day. I am thinking this is from the stress of the new pecking order and the re-organization that comes along with that. Thoughts?

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sounds about right to me. My girls will quit laying if I disturb them too much - ie. building them something new inside the coop, or moving them around, or adding a new hen ...

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Doubt very much it is the integration of chicks, seriously I do. Chicks are not something that older birds worry too much about, other than telling them who is bossman(s). Those youngsters you have are not old enough to cause any stress in that way to the mature group. Not that. Summertime in many instances, the hens slow down in egg production. They may be coming into an early molt too. Inevitably in early fall, if birds are over a year old, there will be that fall molt. Some molt in summer, some molt in spring. Anyone's guess. And...if it is really hot, I find my birds take a little reprieve from laying, heat is also a stressor that can cause lower egg production. How old are the egg laying birds again? Can't remember. I know they were laying when you got them last summer. I don't think they are too old to be in the idea that they may be slowing down with age. They are an egg laying hybrid if memory serves. That tendency for the egg laying breeds is to not live quite as long as a heritage one. They burn out faster from creation of eggs. It takes alot out of a hen to lay eggs. But they are not old, as far as I can recall. Just give a little time, they will pick up again. If they are in a full blown molt, expect to have low egg production for about 6 weeks, give or take. Hope they get it together, lots of fresh eggs are nice. But....getting back to the question, I HIGHLY doubt it is the adolescents that have had anything to do with reduced egg production.

Others please chime in with your thoughts and experience, BigRock requires some answers. Have a most beautiful day, CynthiaM.

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

my birds are all just over a year old...only 5 are the hybrid type (lowman) and i think 1/2 of them are still laying.. the others are heritage birds of various breeds...newbies i added in are just 3 months old

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum