Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Farm Cure for Mange

+5
abpride
Cathyjk
Arcticsun
Hidden River
rosewood
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Farm Cure for Mange Empty Farm Cure for Mange Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:59 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We appear to have two dogs with mange. Need to have a treatment.

2Farm Cure for Mange Empty Re: Farm Cure for Mange Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:03 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ivermectin

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Farm Cure for Mange Empty Re: Farm Cure for Mange Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:10 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

yep

4Farm Cure for Mange Empty Re: Farm Cure for Mange Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:24 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We are handling mange in a rescue dog we got and truly, Ivermectin is it. Nothing else is gonna do the job.

It's the mites that are in every dogs hair follicle and they get out of control This rescue dog had them as a puppy and the vet's used Advantage once a week.. doesn't work .

This dog is on ivermectin every day for 6 weeks. It's awful but I should post pictures of what happened in the course of about 4 days when the vets thought she would just build immunity and deal with them herself .. only that's not what happened.

We were syringing oil out of the fish oil pills and then putting the ivermectin in, but now we just squirt it down her throat and then give her a piece of Rollover right away.

She also ended up with a secondary skin infection because she is so immune supressed. The stresser for all of this was flying out to our home from down east. Her litter mate had a mild case but is completely over it with no ivermectin.

Don't wait.

This is two weeks since we started treating...

Farm Cure for Mange DSC_05871

5Farm Cure for Mange Empty Re: Farm Cure for Mange Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:18 pm

abpride

Cydectin is the drug of choice for mange.
It does not build up like Ivomec and cause seizures etc.
Injectable that is given orally at a rate of 1.1 cc per 55lb pounds once daily for 3 to 4 weeks.

We deal with mange often with the rescue dogs and have tried every way to get rid of it over the years.
Cydectin works every time.

6Farm Cure for Mange Empty Re: Farm Cure for Mange Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:00 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

abpride wrote:Cydectin is the drug of choice for mange.
It does not build up like Ivomec and cause seizures etc.
Injectable that is given orally at a rate of 1.1 cc per 55lb pounds once daily for 3 to 4 weeks.

We deal with mange often with the rescue dogs and have tried every way to get rid of it over the years.
Cydectin works every time.

Interesting info abpride. We have stock dogs and can't use ivermectin on them. This is very interesting.

7Farm Cure for Mange Empty Re: Farm Cure for Mange Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:10 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

There is a lot of misinformation out there with dogs abilities to have ivermectin. ALL of our border collies have it, even though you will read none can.

From the University of washington Vet College

Approximately three of every four Collies in the United States have the mutant MDR1 gene. The frequency is about the same in France and Australia, so it is likely that most Collies worldwide have the mutation. The MDR1 mutation has also been found in Shetland Sheepdogs (Shelties). Australian Shepherds, Old English Sheepdogs, English Shepherds, German Shepherds, Long-haired Whippets, Silken Windhounds, and a variety of mixed breed dogs.

The only way to know if an individual dog has the mutant MDR1 gene is to have the dog tested. As more dogs are tested, more breeds will probably be added to the list of affected breeds.

Breeds affected by the MDR1 mutation (frequency %)

Breed Approximate Frequency
Australian Shepherd 50%
Australian Shepherd, Mini 50%
Border Collie < 5%
Collie 70 %
English Shepherd 15 %
German Shepherd 10 %
Herding Breed Cross 10 %
Long-haired Whippet 65 %
McNab 30 %
Mixed Breed 5 %
Old English Sheepdog 5 %
Shetland Sheepdog 15 %
Silken Windhound 30 %

Drugs that have been documented to cause problems in dogs with the MDR1 mutation include:

â– Acepromazine (tranquilizer and pre-anesthetic agent). In dogs with the MDR1 mutation, acepromazine tends to cause more profound and prolonged sedation. We recommend reducing the dose by 25% in dogs heterozygous for the MDR1 mutation (mutant/normal) and by 30-50% in dogs homozygous for the MDR1 mutation (mutant/mutant).

â– Butorphanol (analgesic and pre-anesthetic agent). Similar to acepromazine, butorphanol tends to cause more profound and prolonged sedation in dogs with the MDR1 mutation.We recommend reducing the dose by 25% in dogs heterozygous for the MDR1 mutation (mutant/normal) and by 30-50% in dogs homozygous for the MDR1 mutation (mutant/mutant).

■Emodepside (Profender�)-is a deworming drug approved for use in cats only in the U.S., but is approved for use in dogs in some other countries. Use of this drug in dogs with the MDR1 mutation has resulted in neurological toxicity.

â– Erythromycin. Erythromycin may cause neurological signs in dogs with the MDR1 mutation. A mutant/mutant collie exhibited signs of neurological toxicity after receiving erythromycin. After withdrawal of the drug, the dogs neurological signs resolved. There were no other potential causes of neurological toxicity identified in the dog.

â– Ivermectin (antiparasitic agent). While the dose of ivermectin used to prevent heartworm infection is SAFE in dogs with the mutation (6 micrograms per kilogram), higher doses, such as those used for treating mange (300-600 micrograms per kilogram) will cause neurological toxicity in dogs that are homozygous for the MDR1 mutation (mutant/mutant) and can cause toxicity in dogs that are heterozygous for the mutation (mutant/normal).

â– Loperamide (ImodiumTM; antidiarrheal agent). At doses used to treat diarrhea, this drug will cause neurological toxicity in dogs with the MDR1 mutation. This drug should be avoided in all dogs with the MDR1 mutation.

â– Selamectin, milbemycin, and moxidectin (antaparasitic agents). Similar to ivermectin, these drugs are safe in dogs with the mutation if used for heartworm prevention at the manufacturer's recommended dose. Higher doses (generally 10-20 times higher than the heartworm prevention dose) have been documented to cause neurological toxicity in dogs with the MDR1 mutation.

â– Vincristine, Vinblastine, Doxorubicin (chemotherapy agents). Based on some published and ongoing research, it appears that dogs with the MDR1 mutation are more sensitive to these drugs with regard to their likelihood of having an adverse drug reaction. Bone marrow suppression (decreased blood cell counts, particulary neutrophils) and GI toxicity (anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea) are more likely to occur at normal doses in dogs with the MDR1 mutation. To reduce the likelihood of severe toxicity in these dogs, MDR1 mutant/normal dogs should have their dose reduced by 25% while MDR1 mutant/mutant dogs should have their dose reduced by a full 50%. These patients should be closely monitored for adverse effects.

Moxidectin/Cydectinappears to be as effective as ivermectin and milbemycin oxime. The cost of treatment is comparable to that of ivermectin but is much lower than that of milbemycin. Until more information is gathered on its toxicity in dogs, one should take the same precautions as with extra-label use of ivermectin. As moxidectin is more lipophilic than ivermectin, it should be used carefully in thin or debilitated animals. There is indeed a warning in the product information that extra care be taken with calves weighing under 100 kg to ensure that the correct dose is used, particularly if the animals are in poor condition, debilitated, or suffering from infectious diseases, because they may be susceptible to an overdose of moxidectin.

You should find what the protocol is for your dog... the rescue dog we have started out slowly increasing the dosage slowly until she got the recommended amount.

Our rescue dog as demodectic mange (live in the hair follicles), not sarcoptic mange (burrow into skin).

Last edited by Cathyjk on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

8Farm Cure for Mange Empty Re: Farm Cure for Mange Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:14 pm

abpride

(Interesting info abpride. We have stock dogs and can't use ivermectin on them. This is very interesting.)

It seems to be safe for Collie type dogs.
I use it on my White Border Collie once a month to deworm and debug.
I dont have my bottle here in the house,but it is pure Moxidectin.
I use it on lambs ,goats,dogs cats etc.I think I even gave it to the horses once haha
pricy,but you can get it pretty cheap from the US.
much safer than Ivomec for demodectic mange(Ivomec builds up to toxic levels) and does a better job .
We have used it on some pretty down and out dogs..you just need to dose right and they should be fine.
Ivomec and Cydectin is off lable for dogs and warnings go with both drugs.

9Farm Cure for Mange Empty Re: Farm Cure for Mange Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:48 am

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Advantage Multi has moxidectin in it. Regular advantage would not work on demodex. Moxidectin is the same active ingredient in cydectin. My boss I was working with tonight said its the new go to drug for severe demodex infestations.

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

10Farm Cure for Mange Empty Re: Farm Cure for Mange Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:09 am

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Good to know!!

11Farm Cure for Mange Empty Re: Farm Cure for Mange Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:28 am

abpride

fuzzylittlefriend wrote:Advantage Multi has moxidectin in it. Regular advantage would not work on demodex. Moxidectin is the same active ingredient in cydectin. My boss I was working with tonight said its the new go to drug for severe demodex infestations.

Problem with Advantage multi is that you put it on their back....so you get a nice thick bug free spot and the rest of the dog is bare and buggy.
It must go oral and you cant with Advantage multi...soo thats why the cydection.

It not really a new treatment as we have been using it for about 7 years at least.

12Farm Cure for Mange Empty Re: Farm Cure for Mange Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:08 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

13Farm Cure for Mange Empty Re: Farm Cure for Mange Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:18 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh man, that is just awful, where on earth does this thing come from, I can't imagine that and it is sickening!! Hope all is well with the dogs and the mange, never knew there was such a thing, good luck, hope it all works out well, have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

14Farm Cure for Mange Empty Re: Farm Cure for Mange Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:01 am

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

abpride wrote:
fuzzylittlefriend wrote:Advantage Multi has moxidectin in it. Regular advantage would not work on demodex. Moxidectin is the same active ingredient in cydectin. My boss I was working with tonight said its the new go to drug for severe demodex infestations.

Problem with Advantage multi is that you put it on their back....so you get a nice thick bug free spot and the rest of the dog is bare and buggy.
It must go oral and you cant with Advantage multi...soo thats why the cydection.

It not really a new treatment as we have been using it for about 7 years at least.

Advantage Multi is applied topically but is absorbed systemically. Because of the moxidectin added to the regular flea control it now controls heatworm, intestinal parasites, ear mites and demodex. It is absorbed into the blood steam and redistributed into all cells in the body including the skin and hair coat. This why if you bath the dog it will reduce the flea control action but not the parasite and heartworm control. It is continously circulated and distributed.

I have no doubt this is not a new drug but again becuase cydectin is approved for cattle only it is not used frequently in general small animal practice. Neither is ivermectin but we have uses it for years as the only option to treat severe demodex. Advantage Multi is approved for use in dogs including the potentially ivermectin sensitive collies. The severe dogs also usually need a long course of antibiotic to treat skin infections that go with it. But people can use what ever they have availabe and are comfortable using.

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

15Farm Cure for Mange Empty Re: Farm Cure for Mange Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:32 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

CynthiaM wrote:Oh man, that is just awful, where on earth does this thing come from, I can't imagine that and it is sickening!! Hope all is well with the dogs and the mange, never knew there was such a thing, good luck, hope it all works out well, have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Every dog has mites. They live in their hair follicle, just like you and i have mites that live in our eyebrows. Unfortunately some dogs end up getting immune suppressed, for a number of reasons, and the mites take over. This is demodex. Sarcoptic mange is another variety of mite--they burrow into the skin and are found on other wild animals, and it's really nasty.

She is a Tibetan Mastiff, year old dog. Her breeder said she had a case as a 12 week old puppy and they treated it but not long enough. They never did additional skin scrapings to ensure the mites were gone, so when the dog was flown out here, the stress set off another go round. It's awful. Plus she got a secondary skin infection, not that uncommon because of the immune issues.

She will get better but going through it is painful, for us and for her.

16Farm Cure for Mange Empty Re: Farm Cure for Mange Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:13 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM wrote:Oh man, that is just awful, where on earth does this thing come from, I can't imagine that and it is sickening!! Hope all is well with the dogs and the mange, never knew there was such a thing, good luck, hope it all works out well, have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Cathyjk wrote:
Every dog has mites. They live in their hair follicle, just like you and i have mites that live in our eyebrows. Unfortunately some dogs end up getting immune suppressed, for a number of reasons, and the mites take over. This is demodex.

Oh man alive!!! Shocked . This has triggered a memory of Koder. He was born 2000, July, he is quite an old dog I guess, but still looks young. Dalmation X rottwhieller. Excellent health, now...but when we got him in September that year, he became very unhealthy. He began to lose his hair in many places all over his body. He looked awful and of course a vet check. The vet said he had mites, that all dogs have them, but if the immune system is compromised, the mites will take over. Guess dogs just live with them, just like us and our skin mites, smiling that big smile. I also recall the vet saying after the treatment and he recovered, that many times with young puppies, they don't recover from this, and are euthanized, but he wanted to give us hope, and we had taken hope and changed it to a beautiful outcome. He is a most lovely dog...This was so long ago, I can barely remember. But the vet gave us cream and we slathered that puppy with cream for such a long time. He recovered and all hair grew back, but it was freaky, it really was. The vet told us that because this puppy was growing at such a fast and alarming rate, his immune system could not keep up. Weird....he never ever has been sick, and a very strong dog, to this day, even looks young, in his 12th year of life, honestly, you would never know his age. I also remember the vet telling us that he had to put down a litter of 6 pups, the breed was Newfoundland (think that was what it was, the rescue dog with the bottle of booze that is strapped to the colour, smiling, is it booze? smiling again). Anyways, that entire litter was so bad they were euthanized, can't imagine that, but it must have been so bad this was a necessity. Remember, this was almost 12 years ago, maybe in this day the puppies would have been treated, who knows. Ya, so I actually know what this type of mange is, just forgot Shocked , imagine that Cool , have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

17Farm Cure for Mange Empty Re: Farm Cure for Mange Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:39 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Anybody used Advantage Multi on their chickens?

18Farm Cure for Mange Empty Re: Farm Cure for Mange Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:44 am

abpride

(Anybody used Advantage Multi on their chickens?)

Way to much money to even think about that around here hahaha!

there is pour on for cattle that is cheaper.
I am sure that would work.
but pour on ivomec is reasonable and it works good.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum