Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Buff Cornish Standard chickens

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Buff Cornish Standard chickens Empty Buff Cornish Standard chickens Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:13 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have a pair of buff cornish standard chickens, but am wondering if they are really a cornish chicken. They are about the size of my silkies and were delivered from the hatchery early may. They do not have half the weight of Perry Schofield's banties. They also do not have a heavy breast at all. Is this a sign that they are not really the cornish or do most of the standard cornish take this long to fill out?

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

2Buff Cornish Standard chickens Empty possibly not cornish Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:15 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Are they clean legged, clean faced birds? If they are, would you be interested in selling them? They sound very interesting, but don't sound like what you ordered! No They certainly should have grown more than that. Rolling Eyes

3Buff Cornish Standard chickens Empty Re: Buff Cornish Standard chickens Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:31 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

They are clean faced and clean legged. They look like the pics of the buff cornish, just not the wide back ext. I would definitely consider selling them as I was just going to butcher the pair as they have not turned out to be what I would really like. Where are you located?

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

4Buff Cornish Standard chickens Empty Re: Buff Cornish Standard chickens Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:01 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cornish from a hatchery won't be as wide as the Cornish show birds because an oversized breast impedes breeding and lowers fertility (which the hatcheries don't want).

From your description, I would guess they are bantams and not standards.

I had a bantam dark cornish come as the extra chick in an order once. Definitely not as wide as the exhibition strains but he was still a solid little bird.

5Buff Cornish Standard chickens Empty Re: Buff Cornish Standard chickens Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:13 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had some white laced red cornish from a hatchery as well and they were the same way. I was disappointed how 'gamey' they were instead of 'chunky'.

6Buff Cornish Standard chickens Empty Buff Cornish Standard chickens Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:18 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

smokeyriver, Can you please contact me through ACE, under the same handle, lady leghorn. As I answered you, and it went to someone else?????

Luckily they were kind enough to let me know. Thanks. I am located on the outskirts of olds alberta.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum