Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Temp too low

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Temp too low Empty Temp too low Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:35 am

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

So it is obvious if I havent had any pips yet that my temp was too low even though two thermomometers said it was correct, right? Yesterday at noon was the 21 days. At 3 this morning I took one egg and candeled it really fast (about 45 seconds), say movement and put it back. To me it didnt look ready to hatch. The incubator only dropped 1% humidity which came back in less then 3 minutes and didnt drop a degree in temp. I took one on the egdge and slide the lid instead of lifting it off. Ok, I am rambaling. The question is, how long do I wait to see if I have anything hatch? I was planning on giving it a few days.

http://dtfarm.webs.com/

2Temp too low Empty Re: Temp too low Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:37 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

What was the day you loaded them into the bator?

3Temp too low Empty Re: Temp too low Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:43 am

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

When hubby brought them home I let them sit overnight to ensure that air cells were in tact and they were up to proper temp etc. Now, they were not cold when he brought them in to me. He got home late that night. So the next day at noon I put them in. So, that would make it March 14th at noon. It was one from you I candeled last night fast. It seemed really active in there still, feet moving and everything.

4Temp too low Empty Re: Temp too low Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:47 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes than you are right, yesterday should of been hatch day, but maybe with the low temps. mmmm should at least have some pips.
keep us posted, not that we can help, but we can send hatching vibs your way, ha ha.
If you don't get anything to hatch I will send you some more eggs!! Now that is a guarantee!!!

5Temp too low Empty Re: Temp too low Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:54 am

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

And go through this again? AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! lol! It is seriously driving me nuts. For two weeks before we picked up eggs from anyone I had it running and both thems said it was 99.5. It is forced air so that is the correct temp. Humidity has been great the whole time, although I add water daily, but that isnt a big deal. Never had any big temp drops or anything. Once I put the eggs in it did drop half a degree to a degree and never came back up, but I was so afraid to play with the temps and cook them. I dont see how you guys do it all the time.

6Temp too low Empty Re: Temp too low Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:59 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

It is a total learning experience, I had a really bad hatch for the first time. But have talked to two other breeders that had the same issues, just don't have the answers right now, but am going to find out.
I think after a few times, it gets easier, but the joy of seeing little fuzzy butts never goes away.
Wish I had a better answer for you, sounds like you were doing everything right.
Patience, plays a big part!

7Temp too low Empty Re: Temp too low Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:48 am

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Normally I am not high strung. I just think after this past year I have no patience left. I have to admit though, it has been very cool to watch the ones grow that did make it this far. To see them at candeling moving around. Been educational for all of us too. I am not sure I would do hatching anytime soon again, but if these dont hatch I might buy some chick's from you. It has been a good experience, we are just getting into the busy time of year and I wont have time to do it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum