Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lockdown day for duckies...humidity?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lockdown day for duckies...humidity? Empty Lockdown day for duckies...humidity? Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:59 am

Giddyup

Giddyup

Our first try at bantam duck eggs with a couple of saxony's.
Humidity spikes seem to be a problem for a lot of people. I'm a little reluctant to fill the extra channel (Brinsea Eco 20) on lockdown. These eggies have come a long way (thanks Jayme!) and I don't want to muss up!
I'll check tonight...hopefully everyone is nice and black.
So duck hatchers...should I go ahead and follow regular procedure?

Note: Our hatch rates for chickens has been VERY good with the Brinsea. The last hatch (one little chick amongst ducks, lol) had no humidity change at all...it just popped out, turner on and all. I guess that's why I'm questioning it all.
cheers!

Well, that answers that! There is a pip from one of the spots this morning so I upped the channels, gave a spray closed it up and am crossing fingers!

Last edited by Giddyup on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pip!)

2Lockdown day for duckies...humidity? Empty Re: Lockdown day for duckies...humidity? Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:43 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I usually run my humidity at 65% for hatching, but see how they do and go from there. You are on the island so more likely higher humidity than me, but I just hatched a "Ducken" last night too and not a change in humidity, guess I better start going into those "Duckens" as they seem to just pop out as they please. LOL.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Lockdown day for duckies...humidity? Empty Re: Lockdown day for duckies...humidity? Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:45 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

2 spots and a saxony pip, very excited!
Thanks for the warning Hidden River that they take longer. This is going to be hard!!

4Lockdown day for duckies...humidity? Empty Re: Lockdown day for duckies...humidity? Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:03 pm

duanescows

Sorry Jayme. What's a ducken?

5Lockdown day for duckies...humidity? Empty Re: Lockdown day for duckies...humidity? Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:12 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Congrats Giddyup! Smile

I'm guessing a ducken is a duck hatched along side chickens? cyclops

6Lockdown day for duckies...humidity? Empty Re: Lockdown day for duckies...humidity? Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:13 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

You are right Flicker, Duane a Ducken is a chick that was supposed to be a duck.
I have sold a couple dozen eggs of these spotted ducks and always seems to be one "ducken" in the bunch. I house my Speckled Sussex (Brown layers) in with my Aussie Spot ducks (Green layers), but seems one duck and one chicken seem to have lighter almost white eggs, I try to go by smoothness on the egg when collecting but now have learned to just not include the whitish eggs...

7Lockdown day for duckies...humidity? Empty Re: Lockdown day for duckies...humidity? Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:13 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

By the way congrats on the duck pips, and yes they are PAINFULLY slow at getting out.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum