Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Customer service

+15
dj
Blue Hill Farm
Skeffling Lavender Farm
JaerhonChanteclerEuskies
uno
KathyS
mirycreek
Fowler
Grandma Art
toybarons
nuthatch333
coopslave
BriarwoodPoultry
appway
Hidden River
19 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Customer service Empty Customer service Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:47 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would like your input on different aspects of customer service for you chick sales.

I had a lady contact me about chicks I delivered to her this spring. They were 10 barred rock chicks. She also got 2 pilgrim geese and I told her to let me know if they both turn into ganders as I was having some color issues in the pilgrims.

Well it was about 2 months past that she finally called and said that the geese were both white so she figured both boys, I agreed, told her to keep them both and I would refund her for the wrong sexed one. She wanted to wait and see if I had any females hatch and if so then make a trade. I told her ok.

So another 2 months passes and she calls me up to see how I was making out, said nope, all boys. So will refund her the money.

Then she starts into me about her barred rock chicks, that 7 of the 10 were boys and that she wanted a refund or exchange on them. I stated that all my chicks are sold UNSEXED, and that I cannot exchange chickens as it is against my biosecurity policy. She was insistant that I agreed to selling her pullets, but I know there is no way I can sex day old chicks so not sure how I would have agreed to that.

So I felt bad so I offered her pullets with chick price discounted off. She said that she wasnt interested and that I should just trade her straight across.... Not gonna happen I am afraid.

So my question is what would you all do in this situation? Refund her chicks price on 7 roosters? Stand your ground and say you know for sure you wouldnt sell day old pullets because you can't sex them? Or what???

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

2Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:33 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think you have been very fair on your offers
If it was me I would stand my ground and not give her Pullets or refund because they are Roosters
I dont believe any of us sell day olds as sexed Unless we hire a sexxer or order sexed chicks to resell
\if she keeps saying she wants pullets say that is fine and give her POL pullets and adjust the price and tell her she wants a guarantee that they are pullets that is the only way you can do it.

Just my opinion

PS if you guarantee Sex on your day olds Maybe I should start getting Day olds from you LOL

3Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:36 am

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

That is rediculous. She is taking advantage of you.

I would kindly tell her you would be happy to SELL her older, SEXED pullets, but the chicks she bought were sold unsexed as advertised.

Good grief.

You have been more then accomodating so far.

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

4Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:40 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree with the others, stand your ground. I honestly don`t have time for people like that anymore. I hate confrontation, but I am getting better about standing up for myself.
Chances are she will not be a repeat customer now anyways and truly would you want to have to deal with her again?

5Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:45 am

Seen it , heard about it , but I can't understand why prople don't just make up a bill of sale ? Stateing what the sale was for ? sexed , unsexed ?? takes all this right out of the picture and the seller has nothing to say ! Would save a lot of confusion and frustration .My thoughts

6Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:52 am

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Yea, I agree with appway, when you buy chicks you take your chances on the male\female ratio. I also agree that taking back chickens and replacing them would be risky to your own flock and an unreasonable request. We would all like to get all pullets on unsexed sales but we all know that isn't the way it works.
There are always difficult customers in any business, don't feel bad about it. Perhaps a disclaimer of some sort at the time of sale may make it clearer to customers, and protect yourself from this kind of backlash.

7Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:00 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think that woman is being unreasonable. IMO I think you are being very fair in wanting to help her.

I don't know of anyone selling chicks, seller next door or big hatchery, that will do any sort of refund or exchange on chicks sold as UNSEXED if the buyer gets more roos to hens. That's the gamble you take buying unsexed. I think it's also known by most poultry people that odds are you will get more males to females when you buy unsexed anyways.
I recall one order I bought from a hatchery that was unsexed where out of 15 birds, I only ended up with 5 that were hens.

I think you are being generous with the geese. You did offer her a refund and she made her choice. It's not you fault that no other girls hatched out. And again you made the offer of refund. What more does she want?

The fact that she doesn't understand biosecurity amazes me, especially these days when not only poultry people practice it.

You are in the right. The buyer is being unreasonable.
Stand by your decision and if she doesn't like it then there is really nothing more that you can do.

8Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:57 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

prairie dog wrote:Seen it , heard about it , but I can't understand why prople don't just make up a bill of sale ? Stateing what the sale was for ? sexed , unsexed ?? takes all this right out of the picture and the seller has nothing to say ! Would save a lot of confusion and frustration .My thoughts

That is the biggest issue right now PD is that I did give her a receipt, and of course the one time I don't write unsexed on the chicks...I will have to be more stringent on that from now on. I always give everyone a receipt, helps me to keep track of orders and income/expense. But unfortunately that can cover my butt this time since I forgot to put UNSEXED on there...

9Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:28 pm

Grandma Art

Grandma Art

stand your ground...... Respect is what you will get from this... Just my opinion.

http://www.sheltiesalberta.com

10Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:29 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hidden River wrote:
prairie dog wrote:Seen it , heard about it , but I can't understand why prople don't just make up a bill of sale ? Stateing what the sale was for ? sexed , unsexed ?? takes all this right out of the picture and the seller has nothing to say ! Would save a lot of confusion and frustration .My thoughts

That is the biggest issue right now PD is that I did give her a receipt, and of course the one time I don't write unsexed on the chicks...I will have to be more stringent on that from now on. I always give everyone a receipt, helps me to keep track of orders and income/expense. But unfortunately that can cover my butt this time since I forgot to put UNSEXED on there...

That one little word sort of changes things.
In light of that, I would change my opinion to this.

You likely already pointed out to them the unsexed part. I would tell the buyer that as far as this hatch season goes, there is nothing left available. Would they be agreeable to maybe a discount towards next year?
If they don't, then offer them a refund, either partial or full on the chicks, and they keep the birds. Be clear to them that due to biosecurity there is no way you will take the birds back. Period! But you will give them a refund.

Take the loss on your part and be SURE that all future sales clearly state UNSEXED chicks.

If the buyer still isn't satisfied, then tough chips on them.

11Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:29 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

If she didn't know they were unsexed then she... needs to learn a lot more about poultry (struggling to be polite here).

Anyone with the most basic of knowledge would not expect sexed chicks (excluding those autosexing breeds/crosses) from a small producer.

12Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:35 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Unless the reciept states they were pullet chicks or cockerel chicks, specifically, I still wouldn't refund because it doesn't say unsexed. Just me.

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

13Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:24 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I of course struggle with all this, this lady is a local person so yes she will most likely not be a customer in the future. I did what I could to try to make things right but she is still not happy.
On my website, where people do the ordering, it states ALL CHICKS ARE UNSEXED as day olds.

I have decided to give her a partial refund, hoping she doesnt tarnish my reputation because of some measily $6 chicks...Not that I do a lot of local sales anyways but always nice to be thought of nicely in your community.

14Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:50 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wouldn't worry about tarnishing your reputation Jayme...I think you're too well liked and known for that!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

15Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:27 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think it's sad when we have to cover our butts every which way from Sunday. We are talking a few chickens, not big corporate deals. There are always those people who want to get something for nothing, and they will make your life miserable if that's what it takes to get their way.

I agree with you HR, as I would also try to keep peace in my neighborhood and do what it takes to keep her from bad mouthing you. But if she ever wants to buy from you again I'd have to say sorry, I'm all sold out.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

16Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:02 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry to say she sounds like the kind of person who is going to bad mouth you anyway. YOu can refund her all you want and my feeling is that she's still isn't going to be happy. She may eventually tell someone you refunded her her money, but not before she tells them the woeful story of too many roosters.

I know this puts you in an awkward postion. But you are right, we all know chicks don't come out sexed. I think she's just one of those people. They are out there.

17Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:02 pm

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

Good job standing your ground don't let people like that get to you.

18Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:25 pm

It's just the way that society works ! If WE feel ripped off or mistreated we want something to make it better , you hear it all the time and yet we seem to think that we are different ? I agree that by making peace with the neighbour will lessen the tension and in the end it's a small price if you like the person .But as I said it never hurts to safeguard yourself .I worked for my brothers years ago as a cabinet installer and they had learned that getting a customer to sign off made good busness sense .One guy tried to get a discount stateing that what he got was the wrong color on his Kitchen Cabinets and wanted a discount , he would accept the cabinets if he could get a redused price ? He had signed off the papers clearly that he had choosen the color in question and my brother just told him that he would send out the installler ( me ) and if there wasn't a check ready for the amount agreed on that I should remove the cabinets ! He thanked me for a great job and handed me the check .....Full Amount

19Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:43 pm

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Skeffling Lavender Farm

I agree with all of the above Jayme, and then better to offer a refund than have to deal with her ever again. A credit just means it can happen all over again next year. Sorry, some people eh?

http://www.easychickenry.com/articles-by-skeffling-lavender-farm

20Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:58 am

Last edited by reneggaide on Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

21Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:25 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:Sorry to say she sounds like the kind of person who is going to bad mouth you anyway. YOu can refund her all you want and my feeling is that she's still isn't going to be happy. She may eventually tell someone you refunded her her money, but not before she tells them the woeful story of too many roosters.

I know this puts you in an awkward postion. But you are right, we all know chicks don't come out sexed. I think she's just one of those people. They are out there.

Sad to say, but I agree.

If there’s one thing working in retail customer service for four years taught me, it’s this: some people won’t be satisfied, no matter what you do. And I think you’ve been more than fair in this situation. (though I can't say the same for her. Geez.) So try not to sweat it. These people are out there, born complainers and trouble makers. It's how they get their kicks. Rolling Eyes

22Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:37 pm

dj

coopslave wrote:I agree with the others, stand your ground. I honestly don`t have time for people like that anymore. I hate confrontation, but I am getting better about standing up for myself.
Chances are she will not be a repeat customer now anyways and truly would you want to have to deal with her again?

I totally agree with you!

23Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:48 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

She sounds like a lady who has learned through experience that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. She is relying on your discomfort with the situation to get what she wants- fairly or unfairly.

Sue

24Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:49 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

She sounds like a lady who has learned through experience that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. She is relying on your discomfort with the situation to get what she wants- fairly or unfairly.

Sue

25Customer service Empty Re: Customer service Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:12 am

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Jayme, I am sorry that you are going through this but I would not give her a refund as it teaches her that what she is doing pays off and she will continue with her behavior with someone else.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum