Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Angel wing

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Angel wing Empty Angel wing Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:07 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have a young goose that has wings sticking out real weird, what can anyone tell me about this, and can I fix it?

2Angel wing Empty Re: Angel wing Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:25 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Caused by too much animal protein in the diet.

I don't know if there is a treatment. I don't think so.

3Angel wing Empty Re: Angel wing Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:33 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sounds like angel wing to me. You can try to fix it if they are still young enough.
Take the wing tips, turn them back to the way they are supposed to be, tuck them up under the main wing bone and tape it together. Usually by the time the tap comes off they are fixed, they really don't like it as they cannot spread their wings and being a goose you might have to reapply because they like to pull on things and might undo the tape.
I have only done 2 muscovy ducklings in the past and 1 fixed the other I think I left too long so didn't work.
I have a gosling to do right now maybe I can get some pictures of the process for you.
I know there was a site that showed it, but I am not at my computer right now so will find the link when I can.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4Angel wing Empty Re: Angel wing Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:57 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I found this page about angel wing and the video is very good. I have tried this method before and had wonderful success. There is a link for the video in either high speed or dial up.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/muscovyducks/discuss/72157594193931121/

5Angel wing Empty Re: Angel wing Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:00 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I forgot to mention that you have to download the video, which is good because then you can pause it as you are taping the wing. I also use hockey tape...Just because that what i have on hand Very Happy Good luck!

6Angel wing Empty Re: Angel wing Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:07 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cool! you can fix them while they're young.

Couldn't find a video of how to do it but there is a taped bird on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za6ftInkAeo

It's much bigger than I expected. I would have thought that they had to be quite young.

7Angel wing Empty Re: Angel wing Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:14 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hey fowler if you go to the link that i posted there is a video link there. Very detailed.

8Angel wing Empty Re: Angel wing Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:20 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks guys, this bird is about half grown, but I am going to give it a try.
That video is awesome Val, can't make it much more clearer than that, I will check yours Fowler.

9Angel wing Empty Re: Angel wing Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:05 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Heh, I'm sure PC's is much better than mine. It just shows one walking by with the wing taped. I was just surprised at how big it was.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum