Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are wing bands ok for show birds?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Are wing bands ok for show birds? Empty Are wing bands ok for show birds? Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:33 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I wanted to ID our show birds we are taking to the show this weekend, because 6 are feather legged I was thinking I could do wing bands. Are these ok to do or would there be issues with this? They are just tiny little bands, can't notice them until you actually pull out the wings and look.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

2Are wing bands ok for show birds? Empty Re: Are wing bands ok for show birds? Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:35 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wing bands are perfectly fine, not a problem at all.

3Are wing bands ok for show birds? Empty Re: Are wing bands ok for show birds? Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:03 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

k thanks!

4Are wing bands ok for show birds? Empty Re: Are wing bands ok for show birds? Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:07 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Having cochins, I know the feeling of how do you get a band on the leg. I need a way to figure out who is who this year in the zoo. Tell me about the wing bands please, would love to hear about them. Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

5Are wing bands ok for show birds? Empty Re: Are wing bands ok for show birds? Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:03 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't know how it works in other places but around here they used to get a wing band when you got them vaccinated. This meant that every bird at the shows would have a wing band.

Edit: Come to think of it, they also get wing bands when they get inspected to cross the boarder (I knew someone who took a couple down to a really big show in the States). So they must be acceptable everywhere.

6Are wing bands ok for show birds? Empty Re: Are wing bands ok for show birds? Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:09 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

What is a wing band? Please elaborate, I really need to know, beautiful days, CynthiaM.

7Are wing bands ok for show birds? Empty Re: Are wing bands ok for show birds? Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:16 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cynthia a wing band is simply a little metal clip, kind of like the ones that clip the toes of some socks together in packages? Seen them?
Anyways they have numbers on them, mine just come in random numbers but some can be made to order with what you want on them. My wing bands are pretty small, size 3 I think, and are the Jiffy brand.
I had to order a special applicator for the, looks like a single hand hole punch, with a special grove for the wing band to fit in. You simply put the wing web between the "c" and then pinch together. Took a bit of practice to get the metal tab lined up in the right spot to "lock" the band on, but once on they seem to work well.
I banded all my BLRW from Islandgirl this spring, they were about3-4 weeks old. I have tried day old but not much there for wing webs, so best to ID them with leg bands and wait till 3-4 weeks to do them.
I will be doing wing bands and then leg bands as well for most of my birds, the leg bands for the non feathered legs and as a visual indicator, the wing bands will be for permanent ID.
I have heard stories of birds getting the bands caught, but I thin if they are tight enough to the web that shouldnt happen, just remember doing young birds to leave some gap for growth. But if doing adults make them flush.

8Are wing bands ok for show birds? Empty Re: Are wing bands ok for show birds? Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:28 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank you Hidden, that was very descriptive, and yes, I have seen the metal clips on socks. Does this pierce the flesh? It sounds like it could be painful? Any schrinching of the bird from pain when they are applied? Trying to leg band a cochin is next to impossible, smiling that big smile...guess I could probably get off my butt and google the wing bands and find out more about that, another time though. But, answer me, still, do you think it is painful? A hole in the flesh is made? Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

9Are wing bands ok for show birds? Empty Re: Are wing bands ok for show birds? Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:30 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is a very small hole that is made, holding them still seems to bother them more that the inserting of the wingband...Now if I could just find my plyers I would be set...
I picked mine up from Cutler supply in the US, they were cheaper than BerryHill but if you wanted to shop Canadian then Berryhill would be the place to look.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum