Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A Great Day today

+4
CynthiaM
Blue Hill Farm
k.r.l
viczoe
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A Great Day today Empty A Great Day today Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:25 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Today was a absolutely beautiful day in the Okanagan(so lucky to live here). Today my husband and I worked on one of the many projects that come with a major move and animals, my poultry to to be truthful. We have almost completed 3 of our newest grow out / callduck pens. Each pen is 20 ft. X 20 ft and 8 ft. high. Each pen has chainlink fencing and all are covered over with golf coruse netting. The pens are located in inside our huge fenced waterfowl area which is protected by 2 strands of electic fencing, so they will be very safe. All that's left to do is the gates to each pen, and even though I have lots of grow out pens I have some young cockerels who will be taking up residence soon in one of them. As far as the poultry go we are starting to see the end of pen buliding finally!!!! My callducks are going to love getting on the ground for the summer in be in a predator safe enviroment. I will post some pictures when complete.

Hoping everyone else had as great a day!!

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

2A Great Day today Empty Re: A Great Day today Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:39 pm

What a wonderful and satisfying feeling! Congrats on a job well done. Your birds are very lucky to have you.

3A Great Day today Empty Re: A Great Day today Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:13 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Look forward to seeing the pictures of your completed growing out pens. I know I need more secure pens to put my birds out in as they continue to grow. Just finished our pig pen today and moved them out of the barn. Animals are truely happy when they are outdoors.

4A Great Day today Empty Re: A Great Day today Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:41 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Congrats! I love the feeling of accomplishment in a job well done…and well DONE. Laughing I’d love to see pics too.

And yes, the Okanagan is very beautiful. My hubby spent some of his childhood in Vernon and said it was one of the nicest places he's ever lived. Smile

5A Great Day today Empty Re: A Great Day today Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:16 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Heather, that feeling of accomplishment of a long and hard job is such a good feeling. I understand that totally. The day was beautiful here yesterday and today is about to be the same. The sunshine surely does do something to the body, mind and soul, we need it. Bet your birds are going to be happy and they too can enjoy the safety of a nice place to go and be happy and safe, good on you. Have a wonderful and beautiful day, CynthiaM.

6A Great Day today Empty Re: A Great Day today Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:40 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We are building poultry facilities here later this summer. Yesterday started with nice weather, but by the time I was headed to the Sun Peaks Farmer's Market to sell eggs a thunder shower had arrived. When I got to Sun Peaks it was warm, but windy which kept the mosquito away. In mid afternoon it turned cold and windy. Later the wind dropped and the mosquitoes appeared. Sales were fair. Today is supposed to be more summerlike, but we had an early morning rain and now some fog.

7A Great Day today Empty Re: A Great Day today Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:10 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sounds like a wonderful set up Heather, can't wait to see some pictures. I bet your ducklings will be so happy.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

8A Great Day today Empty Re: A Great Day today Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:31 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is such a satisfying feeling! Knowing you've made your birds or animals as safe and happy as possible. Such a great way to spend a lovely summer day. sunny
I always enjoy seeing how others have planned and built their pens as it gives me new ideas and inspiration on what I could do differently. We all love seeing pictures!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

9A Great Day today Empty Re: A Great Day today Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:08 am

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I am looking forward to pictures too. How big do you make your grow out pens, and how many birds do you put in each one?

10A Great Day today Empty Re: A Great Day today Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:29 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Nuthatch 333 My grow out pens vary in size I would say most are 20ft X 20ft or bigger. How many birds in each varies on the breeds. My most important thing is getting the pullets and cockerels separated as soon as possible. For an example one pen my large fowl cockerels I have about 8 cockerels right now in a 30 X30 pen but looking at them today by tomorrow there will be only 6 and by Sept. there will be only 4. The numbers in the pens start to decrease alot starting about from now though to late fall as I start the task of evaluating some of the young birds now as they are getting old enough and the culling in ernest starts. I don't like my birds to be crowded so more pens make me very happy. I love the look of empty pens and I have lots in my poultry barn now with most everyone outside somewhere.
Sunshine and fresh air the best thing for any poultry.

Glad everyone had a good weekend !

http://www.triple-h.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum