Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Processing Knives – which are the best?

+4
Prairie Chick
Fowler
Ruffledfeathers
Blue Hill Farm
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I’m gearing up to process my extra pullets that didn’t make the cut, well just as soon as we have some nicer weather.  Burr lol

But first I need a new knife. My current one is crap. I’d like to replace it with a better quality tool that holds its edge and can be used for slicing arteries, skinning, and cutting through joints. So something smallish, sturdy and sharp! What does everyone here use?  Question

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

I use a J A Henckels 3.5" . Its not the biggest but it works for me. I am also an avid sharpener of all my knives. Nothing worse than trying to cut a tomato and you end up mashing it in to the cutting board  Laughing  Let alone doing a bird. I was checking out Wholesale sports knife section.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I got a filleting knife at the sporting section in Canadian Tire that works well.

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I use the same as Fowler

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

We use Primecut knives we got from our butcher many many years ago. Hubby keeps them very sharp as well. I think any knife you get that is a good quality one will hold an edge to a certain point, but once you cut a bone or two by accident it will dull, the key is to have the ability to sharpen them up again.
In our house we use Cutco knives, they hold an edge very well but are pricey and have not hauled them out to the butcher house to try them out.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am wondering how a boxcutter would work? Just snap off the end when it becomes dull. Give it a good wash and dry quickly when done.

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I use a good filet knife. I also have a henckels chefs knife on hand to do the joints. A little more meat behind it in case I slip and hit bone. I hone it many times as I am butchering. The sharper the better. Sue I don't think a box knife would be long enough or strong enough.

pigglet

Sue, I tried a box cutter to skin a head (steer head). Not strong enough and keeps bending or breaking off the tip. I have to skin the heads that I clean for skulls or doing the horns up. Best thing I found is our filet knife for skinning the hide off and a very good butcher knife, bought at Hartford Hide & Leather, to cut joints and meat off the bones before I put them in the boiling water. I keep a steel knife sharpener( round one), to keep it sharp. I have a large iron pot that I put on the fire to clean the heads up.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

cheers  Halford Hide and Leather in Edmonton is the BOMB!

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I think I'm going to go with a boning knife (something like this one: https://www.bunzlpd.com/product.php?productid=328223&cat=991610&page=1 ) and see how I like it.  Too bad that company doesn't ship to PO boxes or I'd just order straight from them. Does anyone know a good place to order online? My selection in town is pretty limited and we haven't been getting to any cities of late....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum